Skip to main content
Topic: Hot Air from Vents 2003 MB (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Hot Air from Vents 2003 MB
Yahoo Message Number: 103824
Andy, Did you ever find a cure for the sudden increase in air temp from the vents you experienced last fall?
 My 2003 MB just started this last week. Suddenly 15 degrees hotter than ambient temp.

Lon in N. CA

Re: Hot Air from Vents 2003 MB
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103836
"Andy, Did you ever find a cure for the sudden increase in air temp from the vents you experienced last fall?"
 Yes, and I should have posted a follow-up. It turned out there was nothing wrong. When the vehicle sits still for awhile, engine heat apparently builds up in the vent ducts, and so the vent air is hot for a few minutes after I start driving again, but eventually returns to ambient temperature. The exact same thing happens in my new Honda Fit... and no doubt in every other car I've owned, if I'd been paying attention. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103838
wrote in response to the question:
 Did you ever find a cure for the sudden increase in air temp from the vents you experienced last fall?"

"Yes, and I should have posted a follow-up."

--- I hope that others will also post follow-ups when they or resolve  issues or discover the cause(s) of problems that they have posted to the board. Posting "problem resolutions" adds to the overall knowledge base and can be very helpful to other LD owners.  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Posting Follow-ups and Resolutions for Posted Problems
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103839
wrote in response to the question:
 Did you ever find a cure for the sudden increase in air temp from the vents you experienced last fall?"

"Yes, and I should have posted a follow-up."

--- "I hope that others will also post follow-ups when they or resolve  issues or discover the cause(s) of problems that they have posted to the board. Posting "problem resolutions" adds to the overall knowledge base and can be very helpful to other LD owners.  ;-)"

Joan
I concur.  Over the 9 years I've been a member of this group (7 yrs with an LD), I have collected about 1500 pages of information (copied posts mostly), much of which I'd call "troubleshooting" information, which I keep in two 3 1/2" binders, tabbed alphabetically.  I keep a 3-page computer file index of the topics; it goes in the front of each binder.  The binders accompany me on each trip.  They are a little heavy but worth it when I need some info.  Fortunately, I have not had to "troubleshoot" much at all.  Were I to start this project tomorrow, I would do it all on the computer but 9 yrs ago I was not that computer savvy.  Which topic takes up the most space?  Refrigerator issues.  I cull the binders every couple of years and could probably eliminate a lot now.  Nine years ago I knew nothing about RVing.  Now I know a lot more.

Chris Horst
2002 30'IB
Arvada, CO
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103840
"Andy, Did you ever find a cure for the sudden increase in air temp from the vents you experienced last fall?"
 Yes, and I should have posted a follow-up. It turned out there was nothing wrong. When the vehicle sits still for awhile, engine heat apparently builds up in the vent ducts, and so the vent air is hot for a few minutes after I start driving again, but eventually returns to ambient temperature. The exact same thing happens in my new Honda Fit... and no doubt in every other car I've owned, if I'd been paying attention. ;-)
Thanks, but I still have a problem to resolve on mine as on a 300 mile trip it was 15 deg. warmer than outside air and never any less unless the A/C was on. My wife also comented on hot feet. I have a Banks kit installed and have not removed the engine cover in 40,000 miles. I guess I will have to dig into the vacuum lines and the service manual, then do some testing. If anyone else has a solution please advise.

Lon in N. CA 2003 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 103874
Hi Lon, I have hotter than outside air coming out my dash vents even when the "Left" control is turned all the way to the coldest setting.  My solution is to turn the "Right" control switch to "Off" and then I get no air coming out the dash vents.  No air is better than hot air on a hot day.  If it is too hot, then the air conditioner has to work a little harder to overcome the Ford hot vent air when the "right" control is set to "AC".  Just another example of Ford's "Better Idea" engineering.