Skip to main content
Topic: Which LD 26.5 to choose? (Read 23 times) previous topic - next topic
Which LD 26.5 to choose?
Yahoo Message Number: 103757
I am planning on purchasing a used LD 26.5 but am currently torn between the TK and RK models although the RB is not totally out of consideration. I would welcome input from individual owners in the group as to which LD 26.5 model they chose or rejected and why. Also, with hindsight, was it a good decision? Reply postings either to the group forum or privately to my email at  would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Which LD 26.5 to choose?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103758
If you can sleep over the cab go with a RB. We had a 2003 MB and loved it but now like the 1997 RB much more.  It's really nice to get up in the morning in our RB and have so much more living space readily at hand than in a MB. I'm assuming there will be only two of you. If not, other considerations may dictate.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103759
If you go to this group's website, in Files > FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS >    What size and floorplan is best for me? you'll find hundreds of well-reasoned opinions from owners of every size and layout. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103762
Paul:
 Thank you for your response. That's just the kind of "general feeling" information I want rather than ploughing through hundreds of archived group messages that, from the arbitrarily chosen ones I looked at, deal with everything from wire baskets to storing bikes rather than the "overall impression".
 Did you find any difference in bathroom size and convenience as between the MB and RB?

Thanks Jim

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 103763
Well, the RB bath is pretty large if you open the closet door.  But it's the "wide-openness" of the RB that is so appealing to us, especially since we recently stopped full-timing and sold our 1997 36ft Foretravel DP. The rear of a MB is wonderfully open, and lends itself to panoramic views. We've spent hours back there watching the Pacific Ocean and sipping a glass or two of Two Buck Chuck. But the many windows in a RB offers another kind of panoramic vistas.

OTOH, we LOVED the super-king bed in our MB. Our RB has two sofas, which can also be made up  into a super-king, but it is not as appealing as the super-king in the MB we had. Our primary criteria that led us to a MB was to have an RV where I could rise early and get to work, while Kathleen slept, and I did not disturb her (these days we arise at the same time). The MB lends itself to that early morning separation.  As someone else mentioned, the MB also enables two adult couples to sleep in privacy. AND each have access to the bathroom during the night.

Good luck on your quest. Good thinking to go for a used LD.

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions.

OTOH, consider that this is just your FIRST RV (if it is). We were told that when we purchased our new MB in 2003. We pooh-pooed such an idea then. Now we are on our THIRD RV.....

best, paul

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 103764
On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 22:26:17 -0000, "jimrogers89" wrote:

That's just the kind of "general feeling" information I want rather than ploughing through hundreds of archived group messages that, from the arbitrarily chosen ones I looked at, deal with everything from wire baskets to storing bikes rather than the "overall impression".
OK Jim, this is my general feeling about floor plans. First, I exclude the 30 foot as it's too big for us and lacks adequate CCC. Second, I see advantages in each and everyone one of the rigs. There are no dogs in the group. We chose a MB, but we never looked at another model. I think we might have gone for a 22, if we had. I think the advise that has been expressed here time and again is to go to the mothership and spend some time in each model.  Whatever you choose, I don't think you will be unhappy.

Don & Dorothy An MB named Koko & a Jeep named Pelli
 Our Travel Blog: http://travelingdorothy.blogspot.com/ Our Mods Blog http://kokoandpelli.blogspot.com/

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 103766
Did you find any difference in bathroom size and convenience as between the MB and RB? ============================= Jim- Have  you seen either one?  If so, you would know the RB's bath is a palatial palace compared the the one in the MB.

Anne Johnson

Lovely La Verne, CA

P.S. We have an MB and love it.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 103767
I have been to the mothership and also looked at other people's rigs of various sizes, layouts and ages. I was sold, at first, on the usual "ooh, look at the MB's panoramic rear views" but the RK also seems to have all those attributes, just two less seats in back. The separate sleeping area of the TK in rear is not critical. It's because I have seen multiple rigs that I am not jumping based on initial impressions but asking for insightful input from actual users.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 103774
Jim,
 Do you have children? That made a difference in our selection. We started out with a 23 1/2 TK and loved it, until our ten year old daughter got to the age of twelve. She developed into a bathroom hog, and my husband and I got tired of her monopolizing the front of the rig. We sold the TK and started debating on whether to get a RB or a MB. We live in Pennsylvania, so we had not seen any other LD's. We were leaning towards a MB, and then we had the luck to see both a RB and a MB. The MB seemed small and cramped to us, while the RB seemed spacious. When we walked into that RB, we just knew that this was the LD for us. We looked and found a used RB. The layout is great for us. We like the feeling of openness.
 A note-especially if you are looking to buy used, as we did-there are trade-offs with any RV (my opinion). Example, we were looking for an LD with a cabover for our daughter to sleep in, but we found one with an entertainment system. It was in great shape, and we decided to go for it. So, we are a bit crowded in the mornings (our daughter sleeps in the dinette and tends to get up later than we do). But, in our search we were going for an overall, general, "this is a LD in good shape" feeling.

Hope this helps.
Kathy

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 103776
Thank you, Kathy. We have a recently graduated daughter so I presume she will still travel with us till she settles down. I see what you mean about the open feeling of the RB as opposed to the MB. Do you have an opinion as to whether or not there is a tangible advantage in the RK, as opposed to the RB, giving you the ability to have two separate living areas?

Jim

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 103777
I will respond to this one. We have an RK. Totally enamored of the landscape windows in the MB, that was where we intended to go. Until, that is, I heard about the issues where the driver's seat wouldn't recline or move back much, due to the refer location in the MB. I am 6'2" and I need leg room while I drive, and like to recline the seat a couple inches for max comfort, so decided against the mb (as ALWAYS, in these discussions, what is important to one, may not be to another. This was a key point for me). So, we went with the RK. The floorplan decision should be determined by how you plan to use your LD. In our case, there are only 2 of us. We use Travesacks, and keep the beds pulled out as singles, with the Travesack laying on top. If we are lounging, we have the bed pillows (like you use to read or watch TV, with arms, if you know the ones I mean) and each sits propped up on his or her bed, against the pillow. We have the entertainment center and this is comfortable for us to watch tv or read.
 If you open the bathroom door, you can use it to close off the dining area, giving you 2 separate spaces. Course, you can't get coffee til whoever is in the kitchen is up, then *g*. Not sure the dinette would be big enough for a very large person to sleep on, myself. I would try it before I committed, if that was important.
 All in all, for us, the RK is perfect. It fits how we live in it. We close off the kitchen to keep the cats in that area at night. I think, if I had a another grownup traveling with us, it wouldn't work, not with the entertainment center replacing the cabover bed. But for us, wouldn't swap it for any other floor plan. YMMV.

Lee
 . Do you have an opinion as to whether or not there is a tangible advantage in the RK, as opposed to the RB, giving you the ability to have two separate living areas?
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 103779
Thanks. I wasn't clear on the advantages you felt a RK has over a RB for you (especially since you could close off the bath in a RB for the cats, AND still get at coffee in the kitchen).

best, paul

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 103780
- Sorry. 1-The RK gives you most of the panorama of the MB. 2-It gives me more room as a driver. 3-And finally, we enjoy the added storage and convenience of the entertainment center. Our LD is a 2002, and came with CRT tv, which I just pulled out, and replaced with an LCD.
 My next project is going to be cutting a hole under the stove, and building a cat box area in the big compartment that leads into. This will allow outside access to catbox for cleaning, inside access for the kitties, and free up the shower, where the catbox currently lives.

Lee
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 103781
Jim,
 I will say that with the RB model you certainly have to feel comfortable being with your family, and I don't just mean-"sure we love each other and can get along."
 Examples to think about: And, Jim, I am just mentioning these becasue these thoughts NEVER crossed my mind before we bought our LD.

I tend to be the first one up

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 103782
Right. When we recently starting to look for a used LD, we looked for a MB like the 2003 MB we bought in 2003 and loved so much - see the Home Page at www. LazyDazers.com  But when we inspected a MB recently we felt closed in. That's when we went to a RB. We knew what RB's were like since close friends have one.
 OTOH, a MB can give you and you daughter maximum sleeping privacy.  So perhaps a key trade off is open cabin during the day vs bedroom privacy at night. Only you can decide your priorities.

best, paul

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 103783
I haven't chimed in yet, but thought I would give our reasons for choosing the MB.  Our original thought was the RB, as my brother has one (SOB) and we liked the open space.  But as we thought about how we intended to use it, we changed to the MB.  Our reasons were that we planned to take our grandkids camping, although when we ordered the MB in 2001, we had no grandkids, but we were optimistic.   :-)   We wanted to have separate spaces for ourselves and any guests.  Although we now have grandkids, we have yet to pry them from their parents' grasp and take them camping.  We have had adult guests, though, and the MB works great for that.  We find we don't miss the openness of the RB as we tend to camp in good weather and spend most of our time outside.  In fact, we seldom convert the king bed back into couches, as we seldom use the lounge.  If we have bad weather, it only takes a few minutes to convert the bed to couches.  As always, YMMV.

--Al in Bremerton --2002 26.5 MB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 103787
I would have to think that this statement would pretty much apply to any style or layout of motorhome.  Let's face it, you're not dealing with a 3,000 square foot home here.  It's cramped quarters even

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 103803
"Do all model years of the 26.5 RB have swivel seats for the two driver/cab seats?"
 As far as I know, no Lazy Daze built in the past ten years (that is, on Ford chassis) has had swiveling cab seats. Anybody know otherwise?

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 103805
Mine is an 89, and they definitely swivel.  I can't believe they discontinued that.  It's really nice when the weather turns and everyone wants to hang out in the motorhome.

Swivel seats
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 103807
My guess is it's a safety requirement.  If the passenger should swivel the chair while underway, and there was an accident, severe injury could occur because the seatbelt wasn't connected and the air bag deployed.

--Al in Bremerton --2002 26.5 MB

Re: Swivel seats
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 103809
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:02:22 -0700, Al Kurkoski wrote:

My guess is it's a safety requirement.
That indeed is the deal. We had a Ford van that the DW wanted swivel seats on. She found a old time converter that had one in stock and did it only after he was assured she was not connected with OSHA or whatever.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Swivel seats
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 103810
Yea, there's definitely not any airbags in my 89.  Too bad that happened.
It is pretty darn nice when you need the extra seating.