Skip to main content
Topic: Lazy Daze Pricing (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Lazy Daze Pricing
Yahoo Message Number: 103598
As I look at the pricing for a 24 TK versus a 27 MB, there's so little difference money-wise.
 We're not looking for a coach with many options.  The husband insists on the V-10.  We'd want the Bilsteins on the larger MB floorplan.  I am thinking the leather seats might be worth it if ultraleather is truly leather.
 So base price for the 24-footer is 74,250.  We'd add 1,050 for the V-10.  Bilsteins apparently not needed.  Add on 750 for the leather seats for a total of 76,050.  Washington state sales tax is something in the 9% area so the grand total is 82,895.
 The 27-footer goes for 80,750.  Bilsteins add on 425 and the leather seats another 750.  That's 81,925 before taxes and 89,300 after taxes.
 Three feet difference in length and the dinette for roughly 6,400 more.
 Not really a question I guess but I'm throwing this out for comment.

Re: Lazy Daze Pricing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103600
Consider a used LD.  I would not consider a 24 footer.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103602
"bluelucy52"  wrote:
 "As I look at the pricing for a 24 TK versus a 27 MB, there's so little difference money-wise."
 I understand what you mean, but the cost difference between the 24' and the 27 definitely made a difference to me; I would have needed to save *diligently* for another year or two before buying if I had chosen the larger rig.

"The husband insists on the V-10."

Good choice, and definitely appropriate for the 24'.
 "I am thinking the leather seats might be worth it if ultraleather is truly leather."

It's not; google "ultraleather".

"Bilsteins apparently not needed." (on the 24')
 That's a matter of opinion; I have Bilsteins on my 23.5', and I think they're just swell!

"Washington state sales tax is something in the 9% area.."
 What are the registration and licensing fees, and how are these determined?
 "Not really a question I guess but I'm throwing this out for comment."
 Have you visited the factory and actually done the see/sit in/look at every compartment and layout/"pretend like we're living in it" routine for each of the models you're considering?  Understand that a one-dimensional floor plan provides only a very rough idea of how the layout "works" in real life; If you haven't made a pilgrimage to Montclair to experience your model choices, I suggest that this is the best way to discover what will work for you.  A factory visit will also allow you to look at other models that you might not have even considered up front; folks can and *do* change their minds after they see a rig in real life!
 You might also want to take some time to investigate and consider additional options that may be appropriate for your travel and living style; it is very often much less expensive and/or much less hassle to have the factory install an option (or reinforce and/or "pre-wire") than doing an after-market add-on when you find that you wished you had initially thought more carefully about what options to spring for!
 There are several threads in the archives (see the "searchable archives" link on the home page of the message board) on rig choices and options choices and what folks wish they had or had not chosen; you might find that the posts are worthwhile reading.

Good luck with your choices. As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103604
Paul Smith  wrote:

I would not consider a 24 footer.
----

Perhaps you might elaborate just a bit as to your reasons....???
 I have a 23.5'TK, and it works fine for me; the floor plan is open and functional, it offers a huge amount of CCC (far more than I could ever find space to fill!), the small size maneuvers easily, parks in less space than the larger rigs, has a shorter rear overhang, and provides me with plenty of options for camping in spots where a 27' might not fit. If I have a complaint at all about this *model* (not the size), it is that the holding tanks are smaller than the 23.5'/24' FD or FL.
 LD offers choices; what works for you might not for me and vice versa. One size does not fit all. In other words, YMMV! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103607
Consider a used LD.  I would not consider a 24 footer.

best, paul

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM, bluelucy52  wrote:

As I look at the pricing for a 24 TK versus a 27 MB, there's so little difference money-wise.
 We're not looking for a coach with many options. The husband insists on the V-10. We'd want the Bilsteins on the larger MB floorplan. I am thinking the leather seats might be worth it if ultraleather is truly leather.
 So base price for the 24-footer is 74,250. We'd add 1,050 for the V-10. Bilsteins apparently not needed. Add on 750 for the leather seats for a total of 76,050. Washington state sales tax is something in the 9% area so the grand total is 82,895.
 The 27-footer goes for 80,750. Bilsteins add on 425 and the leather seats another 750. That's 81,925 before taxes and 89,300 after taxes.
 Three feet difference in length and the dinette for roughly 6,400 more.
 Not really a question I guess but I'm throwing this out for comment.
We are considering a gently-used model but that looks like it could be a frustrating search.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 103608
"bluelucy52"  wrote:
 "As I look at the pricing for a 24 TK versus a 27 MB, there's so little difference money-wise."
 I understand what you mean, but the cost difference between the 24' and the 27 definitely made a difference to me; I would have needed to save *diligently* for another year or two before buying if I had chosen the larger rig.

"The husband insists on the V-10."

Good choice, and definitely appropriate for the 24'.
 "I am thinking the leather seats might be worth it if ultraleather is truly leather."

It's not; google "ultraleather".

"Bilsteins apparently not needed." (on the 24')
 That's a matter of opinion; I have Bilsteins on my 23.5', and I think they're just swell!

"Washington state sales tax is something in the 9% area.."
 What are the registration and licensing fees, and how are these determined?
 "Not really a question I guess but I'm throwing this out for comment."
 Have you visited the factory and actually done the see/sit in/look at every compartment and layout/"pretend like we're living in it" routine for each of the models you're considering?  Understand that a one-dimensional floor plan provides only a very rough idea of how the layout "works" in real life; If you haven't made a pilgrimage to Montclair to experience your model choices, I suggest that this is the best way to discover what will work for you.  A factory visit will also allow you to look at other models that you might not have even considered up front; folks can and *do* change their minds after they see a rig in real life!
 You might also want to take some time to investigate and consider additional options that may be appropriate for your travel and living style; it is very often much less expensive and/or much less hassle to have the factory install an option (or reinforce and/or "pre-wire") than doing an after-market add-on when you find that you wished you had initially thought more carefully about what options to spring for!
 There are several threads in the archives (see the "searchable archives" link on the home page of the message board) on rig choices and options choices and what folks wish they had or had not chosen; you might find that the posts are worthwhile reading.

Good luck with your choices. As ever, YMMV.

Joan
We are hoping to tour the factory later this summer.  Right now I'm poring over the brochure and floorplans, as well as going through the past messages.

There's a great deal to think about.  Thanks for the info, Joan.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 103611
A 24 footer is just too small for our tastes and lifestyle.  Of course, YMMV.

We bought a 2003 Mid-Bath new (8 month waiting in those days) and recently bought a 1997 Rear-Bath (after recently selling our 1997 36ft Foretravel Class A because we gave up full-timing).
 After gaining an up close and personal understanding of what a great and rugged RV A Lazy Daze is from our 2003 Mid-Bath experience I vowed I'd not buy a new one again.

We sleep above the cab in our Rear-Bath and really enjoy having so much living space apart from our "bedroom." It's as much sight-line (that is, psychological) as much as anything else.
 We bought a Mid-Bath specifically because the door separated the rear bedroom from the rest of the RV. This enabled me to rise early, as was my practice, and do some work while Kathleen slept.  We loved the super-king bed the two sofas make in a Mid-Bath. And the panoramic views from the rear when it was set up as a sitting room. We had the table that fits into the floor and even ate back there. I used the dinette as a computer work station.

Good luck on your search!

best, paul

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 103612
My opinions, for what they're worth:
 0. Unless you're on a really tight budget, choose a coach based on the layout and size that suit you best, rather than on price. As you noted, prices don't vary that much from one model to the next anyway.

1. As others said, visit the factory if at all possible. If not, attend one of the regional LD club meetings, where people with many different sizes, ages and floorplans will open their doors to you and tell you what they like about their rigs.

2. If you buy a 24' model, go with the V-10. (It's standard on the other models.) Not only does it give you much more power to travel and to tow a car, should you eventually wish to do that, but it's coupled with a substantial increase in payload capacity.

3. Ultraleather is vinyl. Yeah, it has a vaguely suede-like matte finish, but it's still 100% nonabsorbent, nonbreathable, and makes you sweat. If you have kids or dogs, the nonabsorbent quality may be desirable. Otherwise, I personally find it a lot less comfortable to sit on than cloth. Ditto the "faux leather" option ion the cab. Sticky vinyl. Ugh! Just my opinion, mind you. ;-)  
4. If buying new, carefully consider available options. For example, get all the extra electrical outlets (both 12V and 120V) the factory will allow you. You can never have too many. If you plan go do much boondocking/dry camping, think seriously about solar panels, whether you have the factory put them on or have them installed by AM Solar up in Oregon. Don't waste your money on insulated tanks; they are ineffective and a pain to work on. If you have questions about other options, just ask.

5. Have you looked at the for-sale ads in our website's Files > Buying and Selling area? There are some nice recent LDs there; perhaps one of them is right for you! :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 103622
Andy Thanks for responding to our questions especially the enigine recomendation.  We also spent some time looking at your web site. we are excited to move ahead.

karen and billy Hayes

__

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 103631
Well, it looks like I can cross $750 off the price of a Lazy Daze.  I'm not crazy about vinyl.  Good to know.

The info on extra electrical outlets will be kept