Skip to main content
Topic: Battery Upgrade in a 1997 Rear Bath Lazy Daze (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Battery Upgrade in a 1997 Rear Bath Lazy Daze
Yahoo Message Number: 103567
Hello!

Photos related to the subject are here:
 http://www.lazydazers.com/index.cfm?fa=ShowItem&ID=2878

I invite your comments on my planned battery upgrade. This RV does not have a generator and I do not plan to add one.

In particular I invite your attention to the cable/tube/? that runs under the carpet in the storage area under the forward dinette seat.
What is it?

best, paul

Re: Battery Upgrade in a 1997 Rear Bath Lazy Daze
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103571
Hi Paul,

I made essentially the same modification in a 2000RB.  I have a Prosine 2000 inverter so I removed the battery box ( lot of work) and put the inverter where the batteries were.  That also meant moving the panel between the battery box and dinette outward.

The lump under the carpet in a 2000RB is the water line coming from the fresh water tank.

I have some data on my modifications, 4AGMs, two solar panels, instrument control panel, etc. They are relatively large files.  If you are interested contact me at dgnabq at earthlink dot net.

Safe travels,

Dave Albuquerque

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103573
Thanks, Dave. I have your document of the mods you made.  Very helpful.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103574
Photos related to the subject are here:
Note that although these batteries require no gaseous ventilation, they DO produce heat in operation. You will want adequate ventilation to the cabin to prevent heat buildup. Same applies to the inverter.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103575
That's why we'll remove the plywood panel to the current batteries (the dark brown panel just above the inverter in the photo). This will enable the same venting to the outside air (not just to the cabin) the current batteries have.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 103583
That's why we'll remove the plywood panel to the current batteries (the dark brown panel just above the inverter in the photo). This
Although this will work, outside air will be both hotter and colder in some seasons than inside, which is less efficient for the batteries. In cold weather, in particular, it will also increase your heating needs as well to allow cold air to circulate under the dinette seat.
 An advantage of AGMs is that they can safely be kept 'indoors', where they will retain the best possible charge capacity.
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit