Skip to main content
Topic: "Highways"--Good Sam Mag (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
"Highways"--Good Sam Mag
Yahoo Message Number: 103513
I just got an email that the July copy of Good Sam's "Highways" is only in email (digital) form, no paper copy to enjoy wherever I choose to sit.  They say the Aug edition will be both paper and on email.  I notified them that I thought the email (digital) copy is cumbersome, and if that's the way they are going, I shall drop out and move to FMCA.

Carl 23 1/2 TK named "The Red Baron" with a bobble headed moose named "Manfred"

Re: "Highways"--Good Sam Mag
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103521
I just got an email that the July copy of Good Sam's "Highways" is only in email (digital) form, no paper copy to enjoy wherever I choose to sit.  They say the Aug edition will be both paper and on email.  I notified them that I thought the email (digital) copy is cumbersome, and if that's the way they are going, I shall drop out and move to FMCA.

Just think Carl! Now you can enjoy the Good Sam advertisers similar to the way we ALL enjoy TV commercials.
 One email attachment with 50 Pages of ads and 10 pages of info (if you can call the stuff Good Sam publishes info)

William Crockett

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103524
In an effort to be more "green" I welcome the email version over the paper edition.  At least I won't have to spend several hours looking all over for the latest copy, or for an article I want to re-read.... anytime I want to read it, all I need do is sit down at my computer...

Kathleen

1997 Red 26'LD

(new to us, but yet to be named...)

Just think Carl! Now you can enjoy the Good Sam advertisers similar to the way we ALL enjoy TV commercials.
 One email attachment with 50 Pages of ads and 10 pages of info (if you can call the stuff Good Sam publishes info)

William Crockett

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103528
anytime I want to read it, all I need do is sit down at my computer...
Well I'd much prefer to have the option to sit in my easy chair with my feet up, lie on the sofa, or even retire to the bathroom rather than sit at my desk staring at a small backlit screen.  Besides, do all RV'ers have a computer?
 I know they mentioned in the magazine this was coming, but it looks like it may a permanent transition if they think they can get away with it after the July test.  I wonder if it relates to the financial troubles of the Affinity Group?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 103537
How large is the associated file that you have to download?  For those of us who travel and have a 5G monthly limit for Internet data, this can be a concern if the file is large (especially if you can't get an -free version).

Michelle

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 103538
stcook  wrote:
 How large is the associated file that you have to download?  For those of us who travel and have a 5G monthly limit for Internet data, this can be a concern if the file is large (especially if you can't get an -free version).
--- The digital magazine info page states, "...allow plenty of time for the file to download"; this suggests to me that it's a pretty good-sized PDF.  ;-)
 http://www.goodsamclub.com/highways/digitaledition/

The page (URL noted above) contains a contact email.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 103539
I just got an email that the July copy of Good Sam's "Highways" is only in email (digital) form, no paper copy to enjoy wherever I choose to sit.

No Problems! When it's time to renew just scan the money and send them the images! Best, Jim Pappas Tacoma, WA

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 103540
The digital magazine info page states, "...allow plenty of time for the file to download"; this suggests to me that it's a pretty good-sized PDF.
;-)

I just email Highways to let them know they have to show the size of the PDF files and why (5GB limit).  I'll let you know if I get a response.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 103541
It is 10 MB.

Fern

stcook wrote:
Fern Horst
Formerly owned:
1979 TK - "Dorie" (2007-2012)
2003 MB - "Absaroka" (2012-2019)

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 103543
It is 10 MB.

Fern, where did you find that information?
I downloaded it, and that's how big it was.
 One way to find out how big a file is, without downloading the whole thing, is to start the download process, and (in Windows, at least) the progress window will usually tell you the size of the file you are downloading. If it's larger than what you want to download, just cancel it.
 I'm on unlimited internet right now, so the size isn't an issue for me.
Personally, I'd prefer to get everything digital, including my bills.
I'm working my way toward a paperless office, at least as much as possible. It keeps all info at my fingertips, is usually searchable, and takes so much less space than paper versions. It's truly a win/win, IMO, for the RV lifestyle.

Fern
Fern Horst
Formerly owned:

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 103544
Personally, I'd prefer to get everything digital, including my bills.

I have all our bills/statements on a paperless basis (those that can be...there are still a handful of companies that live in the dark ages and will only send out paper statements) and I pay almost all of our bills online (again, except for a couple of annual bills that I actually have to -- gasp! -- write out a check).
 However, when it comes to my reading material, I'm with Carl...I'd much rather curl up in a comfortable chair or lay out on the bed to read than have to read sitting up in front of a computer screen.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 103545
Most mail readers will have a setting tucked away somewhere that will let you set a limit on the size message it will download.  In my current Thunderbird reader it is an option in account settings under disk space that when checked will not download messages greater than a limit you set.  Check your options...

Regards,

ray

--

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 103546
Most mail readers will have a setting tucked away somewhere that will let you set a limit on the size message it will download.

That's fine if you're receiving something via email.  However, for the "Highways" download, you must actually go to their website to download the PDF file...and nowhere does it indicate the size of the file BEFORE you start downloading.  Sure, I could start downloading it and look to see what the size is, but why should I have to do that?  The magazine should put that information on their website.

Linda Hylton

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 103547
"I'm on unlimited internet right now, so the size isn't an issue for me... It's truly a win/win, IMO, for the RV lifestyle."
 I agree in principal, Fern, but from where I sit there's a big problem: I don't know of any mobile internet services that are truly unlimited. My "pro"-level HughesNet service maxes out at 370MB per day; after that they punish you by cutting your bandwidth from 1,200 kbps down to about 40 kbps for 24 hours. HughesNet's consumer-level service has even lower limits. My Verizon Wireless data usage maxes out at 5 GB per month; after that they charge a per-megabyte fee that can add up to a considerable sum.
 Now, the 10 MB Good Sam PDF we're talking about here isn't likely to be a problem even with the kind of limits I just described. (Although I believe when you ask somebody to download something of substantial size from your web page, you should always tell them in advance how big it is. That's just plain courtesy.) But in general, we travelers do have to keep a close watch on the size of the files we download... unless you know of a mobile internet service that really has no bandwidth usage limits...? :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 103549
Andy Baird wrote:
 "... unless you know of a mobile internet service that really has no bandwidth usage limits...?"
 Actually, I do, but I think there's only a small window of opportunity to still get it. I've been with Alltel for the past 2+ years, and have been able to tether my phone (a Motorola RAZR V3m) for $30/month with unlimited data.
 Without the $30/month internet charge (which you could turn on and off as needed via your account on their website -- very convenient), their contract also allowed you to tether by just using your minutes, or by tethering nights/weekends unlimited with no extra charge.
 They had an agreement with both Verizon and Sprint networks, plus had their own network which covered more rural areas, so all in all they had great coverage.

As you probably know, Verizon has bought out Alltel, something that doesn't make me very happy. The good news, though, is that I can keep my Alltel account as long as I don't "upgrade" to one of Verizon's, even though I'm now officially a Verizon customer.

I can also no longer turn off the $30/month unlimited data tether option, or I'll lose that and will have to go with Verizon's 5 GB limit $50/month plan.
 There are some ares where Alltel has not yet been converted to Verizon.
That's the small window of opportunity I'm referring to. If you can get in now on an Alltel account in one of those areas, just make sure the $30 internet option is turned on when your account gets switched to Verizon and you'll be able to keep that option along with your Alltel account.
 Howard Forums has a temporary forum for discussion of the Verizon/Alltel buyout, where you can perhaps find out which areas haven't yet been switched to Verizon:

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=425>

Now I have a question for you: if you could get an unlimited data cellular account, would you still keep your internet satellite? I'm in the same boat you are, needing a pretty constant connection for my work, and am debating whether I need to also get satellite. I'm dragging my feet because of the extra cost and hassle of carrying the equipment, but I also know how frustrating it is when I need to get on the internet and can't. Here in Virginia, with all the mountains, it's limiting where I can go and still work. I imagine other areas might not be so limiting.

Fern
Fern Horst
Formerly owned:

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 103550
The Alltel "loophole" you describe is interesting, but by the time my current Verizon commitment expires, I'm afraid that opportunity will have long since evaporated.
 "Now I have a question for you: if you could get an unlimited data cellular account, would you still keep your internet satellite?"
 Yes. I have no choice but to keep HughesNet, for exactly the reason you mentioned: it works everywhere. My present location, El Vado Lake, NM, is a perfect example. Even with a Wilson roof antenna *and* a Wilson cellular amp, I can't get enough of a signal to do anything with. If I couldn't connect via satellite, I couldn't stay here--it's that simple.
 For business, for my friends, and to manage this group, I need a fast internet connection constantly available. I'd love to ditch the bulky satellite system, but I can't foresee a time when cellular internet service will reach to all the scenic places I like to stay. 2/3 of them, yes... but I need 100%.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"