Skip to main content
Topic: Microsoft Money Facing Oblivion (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Microsoft Money Facing Oblivion
Yahoo Message Number: 103474
On the chance that, like me, others in our group use MS Money on a PC to track family finances, including LD and travel costs, you should know that MS Money is going away. Microsoft never could gain market share on Quicken and so will cease selling Money as of June 30, 2009. It will continue to support the product until January 2011.
 If you hope to switch to Quicken you should know that converting MS data to Quicken has never been very good because MS uses a higher level of encryption and only parts of the data can be converted.
 However, if you hate losing years of financial records there's good news out there. Intuit and Microsoft are currently collaborating to develop a tool to seamlessly convert Money files to Q data and they hope to have the tool ready coincident with the next release of Quicken due this fall. Use www.cnet.com ((search for "ms money" (without the quotes) on that site)) to track the progress of this transition.

Paul NE 50

Re: OT - Microsoft Money Facing Oblivion
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103477
While this is off-topic,  can't but think that everyone's interested in money...
 For what it's worth,  cheapskate me has not purchased any software for lots of years.  I use all open-source, freely available software.  While I happen to use Linux mostly rather than windows,  most of the packages are available for both.
 Anyway - try GNUcash.. Google GNUcash to find their site.  Download and try it - nothing to lose and if it works for what you need could save a buck and or some grief.

Regards,

ray

--

Paul Wood wrote: