Skip to main content
Topic: Roof leaks (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof leaks
Yahoo Message Number: 103360
In reading through messages after doing a search for "roof" I noticed a huge number of posts dealing with the need to replace the sealant on the roof edge with Eternabond.  Beverly was surprised that she was facing that repair after just 1 1/2 years of owning her new LD.
 I'm wondering if there has been any discussion as to why the aluminum roof is not wrapped over the side edges of the LD thus eliminating that source for leaks?  Maybe I'm asking the wrong people this question, but this forum is always a great place to start with LD questions.

Glenn

Re: Roof leaks
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103362
Glenn,

Good question.  Here is why I think that is so.  Basically it's because of expansion and contraction of the materials used.  Anytime you have two different materials coming together, you have to account for the different expansion/contraction rates.  The problem gets worse the larger the piece of the material is.

If they bent a lip down on the roof, they would have to account for the worst case contraction by making the roof bigger.  At the worst case expansion, you may end up with a 1/4", or larger, gap between the side wall and the bent over roof lip.  That would be a difficult seam to keep sealed, if not impossible.  Plus you have 2 surfaces pulling away from each other, not a good design.
 The way it's designed, the 2 mating surfaces slide over one another.
Adhesives/sealants have a much better shear (slide) strength than pull strength.  As an example, take a piece of tape and stick it to something.  Try removing the tape off by pulling the tape along the surface.  It not easy to do, that's why we remove tape by pulling away from the surface.  This shear strength allows it handle the expansion and contraction.

Another reason this may be is you want flexible corners.  When you have something that is constantly flexing and twisting, you don't want rigid corners were seals are.  You need a way to help relieve some of those stresses on a non-rigid member.  The plastic along all corners works quite well for that.  This helps to let the side walls and roof move as they need to without over constraining them and not putting too much strain on any seals.

I hope that all makes sense.  I am sure others will chime in and either help explain this or tell me I am missing the boat ....., errr, RV. :-)

Regards,

-Victor

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103367
"Maybe the obvious solution is to use Eternabond in the original construction."

Obvious to everyone but the factory, unfortunately.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103368
In reading through messages after doing a search for "roof" I noticed a huge number of posts dealing with the need to replace the sealant on the roof edge with Eternabond.
Just  a tiny clarification: It's a supplement, not a replacement. One of the huge laborsaving advantages of the 4-inch-wide Eternabond is that it spans the original caulk, which therefore can be left in place.
 The cleaning, prep, and installation can be done by one person in less than a day, and costs under $100.  This makes it a much better value than redesigning the roof construction, even if that were feasible. The flat aluminum roof sheet is imported  from Germany and I can't  even imagine the effort and cost of reshaping and fitting  it (either before shipment or after delivery).

Joanne in Boston NE-44