Skip to main content
Topic: Britta Pitcher (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Britta Pitcher
Yahoo Message Number: 103219
Does anyone use this filtration device or have experience with it?  They are selling them at Costco now (about $20) and I am considering one.  We rarely hook up to city water, using our water tank most always.  However, we don't drink or cook with it even though I keep the tank clean.  I don't have plans to add any permanent filtration system.
http://www.filtersfast.com/Brita-Deluxe-pitcher-water-filters.asp

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Britta Pitcher
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103221
Hi Chris-- I use the Britta pitcher in our LD and it works fine for me.  (Altho, I admit I also rinse from the bathroom tap after brushing my teeth.)  As far as I know, I've never contracted any water-borne diseases and the Britta water tastes and smells fine to me -- even when the tank has been filled with water that, altho "clean" might have a different taste or odor.
 On the other hand, Jackie drinks bottled water -- altho she's okay with Britta water for tea or coffee, since it's been boiled.

Hope this helps   /noel/

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103225
Chris,
 I bought this very pitcher and extra filters at Costco about 1 year ago. I use it at home and the taste of the water has improved from "grrblahsplat" to "this is good".

I can not add anything as to what contaminants it may have removed.
 I am on city water in the suburbs just west of Chicago, Lake Michigan is our source.
 I do not follow the manufacturers instructions on changing the filter or the indicator atop the pitcher which gives "use-full life" in 25% increments as they would have me buying far more filters than needed. I watch the filtering action in terms of efficiency and change at first sight of slow down.

Smitty  G. Smith

--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Horst"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103226
In a message dated 6/10/2009 4:46:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

bought  this very pitcher and extra filters at Costco about 1 year ago. I use it at  home and the taste of the water has improved from "grrblahsplat" to "this is  good".

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 103227
Hi,
 We have used the in line Brita filter in our previous SOB full timing and currently use the pitcher in our LD and our stick home.  We have well over a decade of use with various Brita products and have been very satisfied with their performance.
 When we stopped full timing I couldn't handle the taste of the water in several locales so we started using the Brita in our stick house.

Safe travels,

Dave N 2000 RB Albuquerque NM

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 103228
LouAnne,
 I have no R.O. comparison however if you have not looked at the Berkey water systems you may find them interesting. I have no financial or other interest in Berkey other than I am considering buying the Berkey Light for when I turn to full timing. RV counter, floor, shelf, space always being a consideration would be one of the negatives. I would find the room as I think this system would meet all my safety/health concerns for good water no matter where I was.
As you expressed LouAnne, once purchased no further recycling issue other than the 2 filters good for max conditions of 6000 gallons would occur. Not excactly cheap but since Brita wants filters changed fairly rapidly the $ difference might be moot in less that a year.

try     www.berkeywater.com

Smitty  G. Smith

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 103231
That is a very good buy.  We have been filtering our house drinking water for ten years.  Water is much more tasteful and safer.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 103232
LouAnne,
We used to have an R.O. at home and found it used quite a lot of extra water.  Living in Northern California, water use is something we are very conscious of.  I do not know how that type of system would work in an RV.
 We use the Brita because it filters out the chlorine taste as well as lead.  I don't know which other elements are also filtered out.

Roz the (perpetual)wannabe

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 103235
Chris, They're awesome.  I've owned Brita pitchers for years.  They basically distill the water that you pour into it.  You can use this water to pour into car batteries.  You should filter ALL water that is meant for drinking or cooking.

Frank

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 103243

"Chris, They're awesome."
Thanks to all of you for your comments about the Britta water pitcher.  It's obvious the consensus is that this filtration system works.  I think I'll get one and try it out on my next trip.
 If I understand correctly, this Britta pitcher should be able to safely filter water coming from my fresh water tank assuming my tank is clean and I filled my tank with designated potable water, regardless the source?

Chris Horst
2002 30' IB
Arvada, CO

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 103244
Quote from: Chris Horst"

"If I understand correctly, this Britta pitcher should be able to safely filter water coming from my fresh water tank assuming my tank is clean and I filled my tank with designated potable water, regardless the source?"

Chris Horst

This quote from the Britta home page sort of answers my question:

"Can Brita® Pitchers/Dispensers be used with well water?
 Brita® Pitcher Filters are intended to be used only with municipally treated tap water or well water that is regularly tested to be microbiologically safe."

Chris

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 103245
wrote: Brita® Pitcher Filters are intended to be used only with municipally treated tap water or well water that is regularly tested to be microbiologically safe." --- Chris, Consumer Reports did a test/review of water filters; this is a paragraph from their "overall ratings" information regarding carafe/pitcher water filters:
 "Carafes are all about compromises. All were so-so for removing off-tastes. Though the Pur was the best at removing contaminants, it clogged well before its claimed life of 40 gallons, so you'll be replacing filters more frequently. The Brita and the Shaklee didn't clog, but the Brita wasn't very good at removing lead. The Shaklee fell down at removing chloroform."

FWIW; YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 103246
The Brita is about taste, not safety. It removes minerals, and coincidentally some of them like lead are also unhealthy.

Joanne in Boston

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 103247
"The Brita is about taste, not safety. It removes minerals, and coincidentally some of them like lead are also unhealthy."

Joanne in Boston
Joan and Joanne, thanks.  I think I've got it now.

Chris

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 103249
Does anyone use this filtration device or have experience with it?
We use one at home. Dear wife thinks it improves the taste of our city water. Frankly, I cannot tell any difference, other than the Britta water is always cold.  But we do not carry it camping (too big).  I do use an in-line filter whenever filling the fresh tank or hooked to the water supply. Camping World carries an incredible variety of them.

Some campground water supplies are pretty ugly, but impossible to tell until the deposits appear. Main purpose is to keep debris out of the tank.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Re: Brita Pitcher
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 103253
The Brita (note spelling) page on impurities that Sharon mentioned tells the story in a couple of paragraphs at the very end:

--------- * A sieve and bottom filter mesh screen out larger particulate matter from the water * Activated carbon granules act like a sponge, sucking up Chlorine (taste and odor) * An Ion Exchange Resin acts like a magnet to attract and hold the impurities Copper, Mercury, Cadmium and Zinc, at the molecular level ---------
 As others have noted, Brita's pitcher or faucet filters will NOT remove bacteria or cysts such as cryptosporidium or giardia, and they will will NOT remove minerals that make water unsafe to use in storage batteries.
 By contrast, the disposable blue Camco inline filters I get from Walmart do everything the Brita does, and in addition, they remove bacteria and cysts, making even well water (which is to say most campground water) safe to drink. They don't, however, make water safe to use in batteries. You need either distilled or demineralized water for that.
 Since a cartridge filter like the Camco works on water going into the tank or into your city water inlet, it won't remove anything that develops in your tank or plumbing--mainly algae. However, the things a Brita filter is designed to remove--sediment, chlorine, and heavy metals--can't get past a Camco filter in the first place, and those things can't "just happen" in your tank.
 In short, if you properly filter the water going into your system, a Brita filter on the output side will do little if any good. And using a Brita filter alone (on previously unfiltered water) is dangerous, because it can't remove germs.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 103255
By the way, I didn't mean to imply in that last post that the disposable Camco filters are the only way, or necessarily the best way, to go. They work for me, and I haven't found the need to do anything more elaborate, but there are plenty of more sophisticated alternatives. Whatever you buy, it's important to look for a filter that (unlike the Britas) removes germs as well as sediment and chemical flavors.

Andy Baird

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 103267
I agree with Andy on his points about water filtration in the LDs.  We, too, used the Camco filters for all water going into our holding tanks.  We, however, did not use the water from our fresh water tank, or city water, for drinking, toothbrushing, or cooking.  We used national or regional name brand bottled water for those things.  The reason we went with bottled water was not only to avoid the nasties that can appear in campground water, (and believe me...you do not want a case of giardia!)but because of the different mineral content of water as we traveled around the country.  Water differences never seem to bother my husband, but my system is very sensitive to changes in water.  Our dogs are also sensitive to different water.  Pets with upset stomachs in RVs are something to be avoided!  By sticking with water bottled by the same company, as much as possible, we were able to avoid GI problems.
 If you have a cast iron stomach, you can safely use the filtering systems Andy and others have described for all your water needs.

Sharon N.

Crossville, TN

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 103280
"The reason we went with bottled water was not only to avoid the nasties that can appear in campground water... but because of the different mineral content of water. Water differences never seem to bother my husband, but my system is very sensitive to changes in water [and] Our dogs are also sensitive to different water."
 Sharon, have you thought about getting an RV water softener? It would eliminate the mineral content problem, and avoid the nuisance and expense of carrying bottled water. Just a thought... :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 103292
Sharon, have you thought about getting an RV water softener? It would eliminate the mineral content problem, and avoid the nuisance and expense of carrying bottled water. Just a thought... :-)

Yes, we thought about it, for the reasons you mentioned, but read all we could find on the subject and couldn't find an RV water softener that didn't use salt.  (See Msg # 88599)  The ones that claim to remove minerals with magnets have been reported to be scams. It's a moot point now, as we sold our LD and are no longer RVing.

Sharon N.

Crossville, TN