Skip to main content
Topic: roof and air conditioner problems (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
roof and air conditioner problems
Yahoo Message Number: 103158
I have 2 possible problems that I would like your thoughts about.
 First, I'm still in hot Georgia and have been running the air conditioner (even in the mountains).  Yesterday I ran it later in the evening because gnats came out and I didn't want to open the windows.  After a while (maybe a couple of hours) I noticed that there was water dripping inside the RV from the air conditioner.  It was dripping from the vent on the bottom of the air conditioner (the one where the air goes down).    It wasn't much water  - maybe 20 - 25 drops before I noticed it.  I'm guessing that it was cooler outside and the condensation water (or whatever that is) wasn't evaporating like it probably did during the day.  The air conditioner seems to be working today.  Do I have a problem?  I'm thinking that I probably should park slightly off level so the water would have run off - would this help?
 Today, I stuck my head out the emergency exit above the overhead bed to look at the air conditioner (looking for puddles).  There were no puddles, but I did notice something strange about the roof.  Or maybe this is the way it has always been and I just haven't noticed.  The roof seems to have air under it.  I can push the roof very lightly and I can see it move and it makes the roof move in other locations.  I don't really know how to describe it, but I don't have a very smooth roof, it has big air like bubbles in it.  When I say big I'm talking feet, not inches.  I have never been on the roof as I feel I need to lose more weight before I go up the ladder.  But I have looked out the emergency hatch before and had not noticed this.
 Any thoughts on either of these issues.  I do have an appointment at Lazy Daze July 6, so if either of these are major issues I might be able to get them to add these to my list of things to be done.

Thanks for your help! Pam
2008 MB

Re: roof and air conditioner problems
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103161
"After a while (maybe a couple of hours) I noticed that there was water dripping inside the RV from the air conditioner.  It was dripping from the vent on the bottom of the air conditioner (the one where the air goes down)."
 One common reason for this is that your air conditioner's mounting bolts need to be tightened, pulling it down tighter against the gasket between it and the roof. (The bolts can loosen and the gasket compresses with age and miles.) Any competent RV shop should be able to do the work in a few minutes.
 "The roof seems to have air under it.  I can push the roof very lightly and I can see it move and it makes the roof move in other locations."
 This is normal. Your LD's aluminum roof is only attached at the edges, because in hot weather it must be free to expand. In between, it's free to "float" above the wooden support structure. It's nothing to worry about. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103162
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I feel better about these issues now!
 I do have a question about the roof.  I know the material is aluminum (although I would have guessed some type of plastic or vinyl by the way it moves and feels), but it seems like it could easily be punctured.  Since people seem to walk on them fairly freely is that not the case?

Pam
2008 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 103166
"I know the material is aluminum, but it seems like it could easily be punctured. Since people seem to walk on them fairly freely is that not the case?"
 Punctured? Not a chance. Unless you walk around on it in spike heels, the likelihood of punching through that metal roof with anything short of an icepick are just about zero. It's the strongest roof you can get in an RV--much better than rubber, and not subject to deterioration like fiberglass.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 103178
On Jun 9, 2009, at 3:45 PM, Andy Baird wrote:

"I know the material is aluminum, but it seems like it could easily be punctured. Since people seem to walk on them fairly freely is that not the case?"

Punctured? Not a chance. Unless you walk around on it in spike heels, the likelihood of punching through that metal roof with anything short of an icepick are just about zero. It's the strongest roof you can get in an RV--much better than rubber, and not subject to deterioration like fiberglass.

We purchased a 1997 Rear bath in February. On our first outing I noticed water dripping from the overhead A/C. We live in the Pacific Northwest so the water wasn't from running the A/C. I removed the A/C thinking it was a bad gasket. After cleaning up ALL of the old sealant I found 2 very small holes in the roof about 2" in front of the gasket area.  Corrosion? defect from the factory?
 And yes there is some damage to the framing. I patched as best I could without ripping out all of the ceiling. At no time did the roof feel weak while I was up on top working on the A/C.

This is a stout RV.

Jim & Donna 1997 RB