Skip to main content
Topic: it's about tires... (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
it's about tires...
Yahoo Message Number: 103053
Hi folks I keep wondering about my tires..Michelin on an '03 LD. Last fall my mechanic looked at them, the local tire guy looked at them & both agreed they'd last some more time.
 4 1/2 months this winter camping from MI to TX to AZ & back, & I'm preparing to go to ID/ MT & back.
 I'll have the same folks look at them but if I need to make the change, any thoughts, recommendations, etc. as to what to get.
And how long do you really think one can go without getting new ones. They still look ok, treadwise but I'm incapable of figuring out about tire rot or whatever it's called.

thanks, Pat

Re: it's about tires...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 103054
I keep wondering about my tires..Michelin on an '03 LD. Last fall my mechanic looked at them, the local tire guy looked at them & both agreed they'd last some more time.

Unfortunately, mechanics and "tire guys" may not know anything about tires...we've gotten some really bad information from people at various tire service centers, so I wouldn't necessarily rely on their opinions.
 Depending on when your tires were manufactured (have you looked at the date codes?), they are probably at least 6 years old.  If it were ME, I'd get new tires before embarking on a long trip...a blowout can cause a lot more damage than a new set of tires will cost, not to mention the safety factor.

I'll leave it to others to recommend tire brands.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Re: it's about tires...
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 103056
"Linda & Earl Hylton"  wrote: Unfortunately, mechanics and "tire guys" may not know anything about tires...we've gotten some really bad information from people at various tire service centers, so I wouldn't necessarily rely on their opinions.
--- Boy, do I ever agree with this statement! And, "fridaysmum", I am sending you a private message with additional "tire info" and suggestions.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home