Skip to main content
Topic: ScanGauge II mounting location (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
ScanGauge II mounting location
Yahoo Message Number: 102662
I recently bought a ScanGauge II, just got it delivered yesterday, so I have not installed it yet, perhaps this weekend.  I was wondering where you have mounted the instrument and were you happy with the location.  I noticed in the material that they sent with it, that they sell a bendable mount that goes on top of the rear-view mirror, but don't know if that would be the greatest location for it.  Not sure how many times I will check on it per day, but things like fuel economy calculations and tranny temp would be nice to see.

Larry in South Texas
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: ScanGauge II mounting location
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 102666
I recently bought a ScanGauge II, just got it delivered yesterday, so I have not installed it yet, perhaps this weekend.  I was wondering where you have mounted the instrument.

Larry, I mounted mine on the dash directly above the 12V outlet. Easy to view.

Malcolm 02BlueMB
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 102667

I recently bought a ScanGauge II, just got it delivered yesterday, so I have not installed it yet, perhaps this weekend.  I was wondering where you have mounted the instrument.

Malcolm 02BlueMB
Same place for me ;bob&verna

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 102670

Malcolm 02BlueMB
Where do you put the cord? Joe Hamm-2003 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 102677
Hi Larry,

I mounted mine directly above the instrument panel on the dash centered in my field of view from the drivers seat.  I ran the cable forward to the windshield around left and down to the connector.  I used some adhesive backed velcro on the Scan gauge and the dash.  Its been there for a couple years and I find it works well.  I particularly like being able to see the coolant and transmission fluid temperatures with just a glance down.

YMMV

Safe travels,

Dave 2000 RB Albuquerque

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 102680
I mounted mine on top of the steering column where it blocks the transmission indicator, but how often do you look at that?  Cord runs down to the right between the bottom of the dash and the top of the doghouse for about 3 turns, then over to the socket.  Easy to remove when I want to check error codes in something else.  Yes, the transmission temperature is interesting.

Glen w/SOB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 102682
I mounted mine on the dash directly above the 12V outlet.

Where do you put the cord? Joe Hamm-2003 MB
Joe, The cord runs down past the cigarette lighter where I tuck it between the doghouse carpet and the grey plastic plate under the steering column, then over to the connector.

Malcolm 02BlueMB
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 102683
"I mounted mine directly above the instrument panel on the dash, centered in my field of view from the drivers seat."
 Same here. I don't like to have to have to take my eyes any further off the road than necessary when driving.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 102690
I mounted mine just to the left of the steering wheel centerline on top of the dash. I ran the cord to the far left corner of the windshield and down the left side of the dash along the door column, then underneath. I also have oil and trans temp gages on a pod attached to the left windshield column/post with feeds up through the same area.

97RB Skye Chuck Iowa

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 102700
Me too... on the steering column, out just a tad to help seeing the trans. indicator.
I'm very happy with the location

Ken

_____

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 102708
Malcom or Robert,
 Could one of you post a picture of how the ScanGauge looks mounted on the dash?

Barry,
New photo, Scan Guage 11 added. I considered mounting it in front of gear shift indicator but figured I needed to know which gear I was in. ;>)

Malcolm 02BlueMB
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 102713
Malcom or Robert,
 Could one of you post a picture of how the ScanGauge looks mounted on the dash?  Do you find it blocks the view much?  How about the wire connections?  Do they get in the way?

Thanks.

Barry
I just posted a pic of mine in the "Arby" album. Here's the link:
 photos/album/1708068903/pic/73792133/

In this position, it is never intrusive and the cable is seldom seen. It runs from Arby's data port, behind the lower dash valance panel to the left windshield pillar, up the left edge where the dash meets the body, across the base of the windshield under the LD dash-pad and up through the left-side dash-pad defroster vent opening to the dorsal port on the Scangage.

George

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 102741
Thanks all for the suggestions and the photo.  Some really good ideas.  I will be installing my ScanGauge on Sunday or Monday.
 Thanks again for reading my question and making your suggestions, much appreciated.

Larry in South Texas
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 102783
wrote: I am still undecided if I would really use a ScanGauge enough to justify one.
--- I was a bit skeptical of how useful the gadget would be at first, too, but I've had the ScanGaugeII for almost two years now, and I like it!  The unit in my rig (mounted on the dash top at about "1:00" relative to the steering wheel) is set to display mpg, engine rpm (there's no tach in the 2003), coolant temperature, and engine load; I find all the information "useful", but especially the latter three. I can usually hear (and "feel") what the engine is doing, but the numbers read-outs provide digital verification; I am sometimes able to "adjust" my driving speeds or gearing to improve a couple of those numbers!  One can set functions other than those listed above to display, and now Scan Gauge offers "Add-a-Gauge".  And, ScanGauge's  new software can calculate (among other things) cost per trip and cost per mile -- that should be fun with gas prices heading towards $3.00 again! ;-)

http://scangauge.com/

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 102788
It's worth pointing out that the ScanGaugeII can also read out OBD-II diagnostic codes. Normally this is something a mechanic would do, but if your engine starts acting screwy while you're in the middle of nowhere, it can be helpful to be able to read out the fault codes(s) to service people.
 For example, Kate Klein had a freakish major engine breakdown when her rig was less than a year old. When she called Ford's roadside service, they tried to tell her there was nothing seriously wrong. But because she had a ScanGaugeII, she was able to read out the codes right there by the roadside and prove to them that the trouble was a major malfunction of the fuel injection system. (I hope I'm getting this right--Kate, you can correct me and fill in the details.)
 The moral is that even if you aren't a mechanic, it can be very useful in a breakdown situation to be able to read the engine fault codes with a ScanGaugeII.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 102789
A live example as we speak.  Yesterday, while on route, I noticed the engine check light.  It looks like the outline of an engine on my '05 E-450.  The vehicle itself was not behaving unusually.  Using the ScanGauge, and this is the old chunkier version of the device, I read the trouble code as a P0740.  That is a transmission error code.  At the campground, I checked the transmission fluid level.  It is both rather low and seems way darker then it should be.  The 45K mile service, performed by a Ford dealer 2500 miles ago, includes the checking of ATF, but who knows what they did or what may have transpired since.
 Tomorrow, I'll be looking for a place to have the transmission fluid replaced.  I hope that it won't be a problem finding the Mercon SP ATF that is required.  The local gas stations here in Chappell, NE (in the boonies with 0 TV channels) do not have that or equivalent.  We'll see what kind of luck I have tomorrow.

Now the newer ScanGauge II would have been able to tell me the transmission fluid temperature as additional information.

Alex Rutchka
'05 MB

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 102790
wrote:
 It's worth pointing out that the ScanGaugeII can also read out OBD-II diagnostic codes. Normally this is something a mechanic would do, but if your engine starts acting screwy while you're in the middle of nowhere, it can be helpful to be able to read out the fault codes(s) to service people.

--- Yes. I had forgotten about that feature --fortunately, I haven't had to take advantage of it -- but I do agree that it could be very useful!  Another "plus" for the ScanGaugeII!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 102796
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 1:20 PM
 Subject: Re: [LD] Re: ScanGauge II mounting location

Larry,
 Let us know where you end up mounting it, and how you like it. I am still undecided if I would really use a ScanGauge enough to justify one.

Barry

Barry,
 Not mentioned by the other responses, and perhaps not the most important ScanGaugeII feature, but I sure like the very accurate miles and fuel remaining info. This is especially important if you are trundling along through the Nevada desert and you foolishly passed up a gas station with "too high" prices and you're wondering if you can really make the next town.

Been there.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 102798
I bought a ScanGauge with an extra cord. Taking advantage of Velcro and the easy to use plug, the ScanGauge does double duty mounted either on top of the LD's dash, directly in front of the steering wheel, or on the Jeep's steering column.
 Beside keeping an eye on each vehicles vitals, being able to read and clear CELs (check engine light) is a plus.
This has happen a few times with the Jeep.
I keep a printout of the OBDII CEL codes in each vehicle to quickly determine what a code means.
 When used in the LD, the ScanGauge monitors the water temp, transmission temp and the ambient temp (which is usually the same as the outside air, when in motion). The forth readout gets varied according my mood.
It's a great add on.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 102810
OK bumper and others, you have convinced me.  I'll probably buy and mount one when I get back in the fall.  (The fact that I have lived without it in the LD for 8 years notwithstanding.  )
 Looking on the internet, it appears that there is little variation in the price regardless of where you buy it.

Barry Where are we?  http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=122