Skip to main content
Topic: Installing Ceramic mosaic tile on the kitchen and bath vinyl covered (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Installing Ceramic mosaic tile on the kitchen and bath vinyl covered
Yahoo Message Number: 102534
Has anyone installed ceramic tile on the vinyl covered wallboard behind the kitchen counter or installed a ceramic back splash around the bathroom counter area? Did the wall need any prep such as removal of the vinyl to accept the tile or can the tile be glued directly onto the existing factory installed vinyl wallboard??
 While at Home Depot I found a thin (1/2 the normal thickness of ceramic tile) glass mosaic 12" X 12" sheet with colors that compliment the RV interior at Home Depot for just $5 per sq ft. I need this thinner tile to accommodate the close tolerance between the wall and the back of the bathroom sink faucet.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed Klaus

Re: Installing Ceramic mosaic tile on the kitchen and bath vinyl cov
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 102535
"Has anyone installed ceramic tile on the vinyl covered wallboard behind the kitchen counter or installed a ceramic back splash around the bathroom counter area?"
 For what it's worth, I installed self-stick 12" x 12" vinyl tile in the area around the sink and stove of my 2003 midbath. Cost was about $1.25 a foot; pattern is light beige imitation ceramic tile. Aiming for a unified look, I installed tile from counter to ceiling on both the sink and stove sides. Although it required a fair amount of cutting to exactly fit the areas, the vinyl tile made that easy--I just used scissors--and the whole job took less than an hour. Cutting glass tile to shape would be trickier. (Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it. :-)
 The only problem I ran into was that the adhesive on the tile wouldn't reliably hold on the textured vinyl wall covering in my rig. So I used Goop and Liquid Nails (pretty much interchangeable) to mount the tiles, and they've been fine since I put them up two years ago.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 102538
hi ed..   i am in the flooring buisness..  you will not be able to use the traditional..  thinset/mortar to adhere the tile to the wallboard...  cracking will resuslt from the road vibration..etc....  you will need to find a clear adhesive to adhere all your tile to the wallboard, i dont remember the name of the stuff, but it is sold at your home depot's ..lowes..etc stores...   you will still have to prep the wallboard ... remove all the grease..grime etc..  acetone , alcohol..etc..

also for people wanting to install.. ceramic..slate.. on the floor... only use a floating floor system..  click-lock...etc..... no thinset/mortar install... the substrate will have to much vibration..etc..

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 102539
and stove>>
 Andy... Do you have any problems with using the vinyl tile and the heat coming from the stove? Any problems with melting and such?

Ellen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 102540
I found some 12" square metal (tin) that looks like the stuff that used to be on the ceilings of old time buildings.  It had a peal and stick backing on it and was easy to install.  I put it on the side of the stove wall on my MB. They had several different styles and colors.  I used a silver colored item and it looks "cool" and is very easy to clean up when there is a spatter from the stove, and of course, is pretty much heat proof.  One of these days, I will put it on the wall by the sink.  The whole project ran about 15 bucks.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 102541
I found some 12" square metal (tin) that looks like the stuff that used to be on the ceilings of old time buildings.  It had a peal and stick backing on it and was easy to install.

Larry, May I ask where you found these faux ceiling tiles?

Thanks, Malcolm South Central Texas
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 102542
It was at local Loews, about a year ago, I think I saw them a month or two ago in the tile/wallpaper section when were looking for something over there. I have also seen them at a place here in Corpus Christi called "South Texas Molding". Malcolm, if you can not find them where you are, let me know and I will find the name of the maker of these tiles and the telephone number of South Texas Molding.

Larry in South Texas
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Installing Ceramic mosaic tile
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 102543
"May I ask where you found these faux ceiling tiles?"
 A Google product search on 'tin ceiling tile' turns up hundreds of choices. :-)

Andy Baird

Re: Installing Ceramic mosaic tile
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 102544
"Do you have any problems with using the vinyl tile and the heat coming from the stove? Any problems with melting and such?"
 Nope. No sign of any problems after more than two years of use--and I do a lot of cooking and baking!

Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 102545
I have also seen them at a place here in Corpus Christi called "South Texas Molding". Malcolm, if you can not find them where you are, let me know and I will find the name of the maker of these tiles and the telephone number of South Texas Molding.
--------- Thanks for the help Larry.  I'll check Lowes and let you know if they don't have them.

Malcolm Austin, Republic of Texas
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 102546
Malcolm, I called South Texas Molding and they do not ship, on site retail only.  I asked where they purchase the tile from and they gave me the following information:  Chelsea Decorative Metal Company, 8212 Braewick Drive, Houston, TX  77074, telephone number 713-721-9200.

Hope this helps.

Larry
2001 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 102550

I found some 12" square metal (tin) that looks like the stuff that used to be on the ceilings of old time buildings.  It had a peal and stick backing on it and was easy to install.

Larry, May I ask where you found these faux ceiling tiles?

Thanks, Malcolm South Central Texas
=======================================================
 Home Depot has metal tiles in several colors.  I think they are about 18" square.  I screwed mine on the sides (one small screw) in the molding strips that hold them on.

Frank ==================================================

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 102641
I have been doing moasics for about 9 years and have moasic tiled the kitchen walls in 3 rigs, including my currant 07, 23.5 TK. Both the kitchen back splash and the stair well. Your first consideration should be weight. To that end I do not grout or mortar. The tiles themselves are heavy enough. Also do not use Hardie board or any  other cement based underlayment. Clean the surface of the walls. You do not have to remove the material the factory uses to cover the walls. Design your pattern.
I have found it easier to make a template of the wall so as to work the design flat. If you are using squares this may not be necessary. If you are making your own design and working flat you will have to transfer the pattern in pieces cartoon style. I will be happy to help with this off line, just contact me  Keep the pieces as close together as you can as there will be no grout between them and you do not want to have a lot of space for water to permeate. I fasten them to the wall with Lexell, a silicon sealant, that is waterproof and can even be used on a wet surface if need be. Andy is right in that you can use Liquid nails or Goop. I recommend the clear versions of these.
Hope this has been of some help. I can send photos if you would like to see what I have done.
Beverly

Has anyone installed ceramic tile on the vinyl covered wallboard behind the kitchen counter or installed a ceramic back splash around the bathroom counter area? Did the wall need any prep such as removal of the vinyl to accept the tile or can the tile be glued directly onto the existing factory installed vinyl wallboard??

While at Home Depot I found a thin (1/2 the normal thickness of ceramic tile) glass mosaic 12" X 12" sheet with colors that compliment the RV interior at Home Depot for just $5 per sq ft. I need this thinner tile to accommodate the close tolerance between the wall and the back of the bathroom sink faucet.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed Klaus

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 102643
Would love to see pictures.....
 Thanks, all the information is so helpful and has me wondering if we can do something like that to our 1997 RB LazyDaze both

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 102650
I would love to see pictures of this also.
Nancy

__ From: Kathleen bike70th@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:11:23 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Installing Ceramic mosaic tile on the kitchen and bath vinyl covered walls??

Would love to see pictures.... .
 Thanks, all the information is so helpful and has me wondering if we can do something like that to our 1997 RB LazyDaze both in kitchen and bath area (not shower!)

Kathleen

Installing Ceramic mosaic tile on the kitchen and bath vinyl cov
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 102653
"I have been doing moasics for about 9 years and have moasic tiled the kitchen walls in 3 rigs, including my currant 07, 23.5 TK. Both the kitchen back splash and the stair well. Your first consideration should be weight. To that end I do not grout or mortar. The tiles themselves are heavy enough. Also do not use Hardie board or any other cement based underlayment. Clean the surface of the walls. You do not have to remove the material the factory uses to cover the walls. Design your pattern.

> I have found it easier to make a template of the wall so as to
work the design flat. If you are using squares this may not be necessary. If you are making your own design and working flat you will have to transfer the pattern in pieces cartoon style. I will be happy to help with this off line, just contact me wetchicken@...

> Keep the pieces as close together as you can as there will be no
grout between them and you do not want to have a lot of space for water to permeate. I fasten them to the wall with Lexell, a silicon sealant, that is waterproof and can even be used on a wet surface if need be. Andy is right in that you can use Liquid nails or Goop. I recommend the clear versions of these."

I believe we met Beverly at the Balloon Fiesta one year, and I would like to say her tile work is beautiful!

Yes, please, post pictures.

Kate (now at glorious Ghost Ranch)
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]