Skip to main content
Topic: Take a look at this trailer (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Take a look at this trailer
Yahoo Message Number: 102484
While camping at Capitol Reef National Park we saw a homemade wooden trailer and spoke with the couple that owned it. He made it about 12 years ago and took five months to build it. It appears to be very well made and is completely primitive.
 He got the wheels from a combine and said that he designed the trailer after he got the wheels.

They are from Montana and he is obviously a talented craftsman.
 The round copper tank on the left side holds cold water. The wood burning stove has a copper tank attached to the side and will provide hot water.
 The two large drawers that are partially pulled out serve as steps to the bed.
 Needless to say they couldn't hardly get set up for folks stopping by to see it and they took it in stride.

The photos are in the folder entitled Homemade Trailer.

Jim

Re: Take a look at this trailer
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 102487
"Jim"  wrote: They are from Montana and he is obviously a talented craftsman.
--- Yes; very nice work! It looks to me like a gypsy wagon with a lot of nautical design touches! Maybe the builder was/is a "seafaring man"?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 102489
Yes; very nice work! It looks to me like a gypsy wagon with a lot of nautical design touches! Maybe the builder was/is a "seafaring man"?

Joan
Actually, he was a friend of a Spike Africa who they said was a sea captain and quite a character.

Jim

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 102490
Jim, we saw that trailer last year, also
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 102494
"Really a neat job, and I agree, he is a craftsman.  I didn't ask, but I wondered how much money he had invested in it.  If it was the same couple, they looked and acted like they got stuck in the 60's, liked it and never left. "

Now that's a land yacht. Beautiful craftsmanship.
It does look like something built in the sixties.

Larry Stuck in 2009
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 102499
Actually, these have been around for a long, long time.  My greatgrandparents, who came here from Genoa, Italy, in the late 1800's, used several of these around the farm for the workers they employed, to not only live in, but to move around the land as crops became ready for harvest.  My grandfather told me that when the 'hobos' saw ripe fruit they would want to strip the trees and haul the produce away so he would move the wagons around to different parts of the place to keep an eye on the crops as they matured.
 As children, my sisters and I, had one that we used as a playhouse and it was a lot of fun:  it was beautiful with a solid redwood interior and looked very similar to the one above, complete with small sheepherder's stove and plentiful cabinets and cubbyholes.
 When we moved to the city, my grandmother sold it, the last remaining wagon, for $500.00 (in 1953) and thought she got a terrific deal!

What a trip down memory lane!  Suzan

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 102520
Actually, these have been around for a long, long time.  My greatgrandparents, who came here from Genoa, Italy, in the late 1800's, used several of these around the farm for the workers they employed, to not only live in, but to move around the land as crops became ready for harvest.
======================== In California, the sheepherders who move vast herds of sheep from grassland to grassland throughout the State use these trailers as home base. We've seen them starting in the 50's mostly in the central part of the State off Highway 99.

Anne Johnson

Lovely La Verne, CA

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 102524
--- Suzan Banchero wrote:
 Actually, these have been around for a long, long time. My greatgrandparents... used several of these around the farm for the workers they employed, to not only live in, but to move around the land as crops became ready for harvest.
 When I lived in Utah I saw these often up in the mountains, used by the shephards watching the flock, along with their sheep dogs. They would go up in the summer for cooler temps and grazing for the herd, and move it to better pastures throughout the season. The ones I saw were clad in aluminum, and often had a smoke stack with a wood or coal burning stove. I was told they were called a "Home on the Range"; not sure if that was the brand or the traditional name.

I always thought they were neat.
Pleinguy : Full-Timer
2004 Twin-King "Tardis"
PleinAirJourney.com

Re: Take a look at this trailer - Home on the Range
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 102525
Did a search and found this link showing the Home on the Range sheep wagon. Very similar to the OP. Now, if they'd just let me pull one of these into the RV park.

http://sheepwagon.vmcm.net/
Pleinguy : Full-Timer
2004 Twin-King "Tardis"
PleinAirJourney.com