Skip to main content
Topic: Techno-Dummy Attempts DTV Converter Box Install (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Techno-Dummy Attempts DTV Converter Box Install
Yahoo Message Number: 102483
Hi Everyone,
 It has been a long time since I've been on this site, and I'm sure I'm way behind the curve.  I have searched the archives and printed out the diagram, but most of it is Greek to me.  Is there someone that can walk me through, in a VERY simplified manner, how to connect my DTV converter box?  I have a 2006 30' LD with the flat screen TV in the entertainment center.  Currently, I have a DVD/VCR combo connected to the TV with the yellow, red and white cables.  Do those cables now connect to the converter box, or do I use the yellow, white and red cables provided with the converter box and plug those into the second set of colored receptacles on the DVD/VCR player?
 What about the Winegard antenna?  Does that unscrew or unplug from the front of the antenna plate and go into the converter box?  (It doesn't seem to budge.)  If so, do I use the black cable provided with the converter box to plug into the front of the antenna plate?

Do I have it all wrong?

Thanks much to anyone who can help.

Heidi Young http://travelswithrylie.blogspot.com

Re: Techno-Dummy Attempts DTV Converter Box Install
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 102485
Hi Everyone,
 It has been a long time since I've been on this site, and I'm sure I'm way behind the curve.  I have searched the archives and printed out the diagram, but most of it is Greek to me.  Is there someone that can walk me through, in a VERY simplified manner, how to connect my DTV converter box?  I have a 2006 30' LD with the flat screen TV in the entertainment center.  Currently, I have a DVD/VCR combo connected to the TV with the yellow, red and white cables.  Do those cables now connect to the converter box, or do I use the yellow, white and red cables provided with the converter box and plug those into the second set of colored receptacles on the DVD/VCR player?
 What about the Winegard antenna?  Does that unscrew or unplug from the front of the antenna plate and go into the converter box?  (It doesn't seem to budge.)  If so, do I use the black cable provided with the converter box to plug into the front of the antenna plate?

Do I have it all wrong?

Heidi, this you tube video may help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SdENLyJmd0

Joe Hamm

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 102486
We are in the same boat as Heidi.  We have a 2007 30IB with a flat screen tv that lifts up.  Behind it are more wires than I can count connected to I don't know what.  We also have the Bose system up there.  I also have looked at other posts and am just more confused.  Surely there must be some easy way to connect that darn box.  I too will be watching this post.  We just bought this at the factory and were shocked that the TV wasn't digital.
Connie

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 102488

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SdENLyJmd0 Joe Hamm
Thanks Joe.  Unfortunately, the You Tube video covers the same thing as the manual -- hook up to only the TV.  I need to find out how to include my DVD/VCR player in the set up.
 Funny that the guy who made the You Tube video is from the town I grew up in, Duluth, Minnesota!

Heidi

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 102491
You might not need the converter box if your tv has a digital tuner. You may want to check with the mother ship to find out.  As to the DVD/VCR, you have several inputs

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 102492

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SdENLyJmd0

Joe Hamm

Thanks Joe.  Unfortunately, the You Tube video covers the same thing as the manual -- hook up to only the TV.  I need to find out how to include my DVD/VCR player in the set up.
 Funny that the guy who made the You Tube video is from the town I grew up in, Duluth, Minnesota!

Heidi
Heidi, here is another way.  More complicated but just might be what you need.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2382843_up-dvd-vcr-convertor-box.html

Joe Hamm

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 102495
"Is there someone that can walk me through, I have a 2006 30' LD in a VERY simplified manner, how to connect my DTV converter box?"

Heidi
 As you know, I have a 2004 30'IB, and I also have a combo VCR/DVD recorder. I connected my DTV converter between the output of the antenna and the input to the VCR/DVD recorder. Really simple and I did not use any of those colored cables.
 It's necessary to remove the four screws holding the Ant. pre-amp so that you can access the cabling behind it.

Good luck and glad to hear from you again.

Steve S.
Lazybones & Jiggs Currently in Great Falls, MT headed for Canada.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 102496
It's necessary to remove the four screws holding the Ant. pre-amp so that you can access the cabling behind it.

Good luck and glad to hear from you again.

Steve S.
Lazybones & Jiggs Currently in Great Falls, MT headed for Canada.
Thanks, Steve.  I guess I'll tackle that one tomorrow.  Seems like it should be a simple matter of connecting cables without the removal of screws and plates, but I guess I expect too much of a motorhome.  Hopefully it will be obvious what to do when I remove the screws and plate.

I appreciate the help.

Heidi

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 102497
You might not need the converter box if your tv has a digital tuner. You may want to check with the mother ship to find out.  As to the DVD/VCR, you have several inputs in the back of the TV. Connect the player to AV1 or AV2 and use the input button on your remote to view.
Yeah, I tried that route by contacting the Mother Ship months ago, and Vince told me I would need a converter box.  Today I got him on the phone to see if he could walk me through the set up, but what he told me didn't work.  He said he hasn't seen one yet, so he was just trying to help without the benefit of seeing one.
 I have tried every connection combination that I can think of with the three units and antenna, and no luck.  Ah well, tomorrow I'll try Steve's suggestion and remove the screws and antenna plate to access the cabling behind it.

Thanks,

Heidi

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 102504
Seems like it should be a simple matter of connecting cables without the removal of screws and plates, but I guess I expect too much of a motorhome.

I don't know Heidie, I just took off the short wire from the slider switch to the pre=amp plate. I then went from the pre-amp to the in connector on the DTV box, then from the out connector on the DTV back to the antenna side of the slider switch. Works great since the pre amp is active in the circuit and boosts the signal from the Winguard antenna as well.
Good luck, Jim Pappas Tacoma, WA

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 102516
Success!!  Thanks to everyone who responded for their help.  I took Steve's advice and removed the screws to the panel so that I could see what the cables were connected to, and also so that I could re-route the antenna cable so that it would reach the conveter box once the box was inside the entertainment center (it's a very short cable).  It required using both cables provided with the converter box, plus the colored audio visual cables already