Skip to main content
Topic: The dreaded bathroom smell (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
The dreaded bathroom smell
Yahoo Message Number: 102465
I need to ask the LD community about what is becoming a serious issue with my family.  They are beginning to call our 95 LD30 "The Big Rolling Stink.
 Regardless of the level of liquid in the black holding tank, and regardless of the chemical I use, when the RV is moving down the highway and I have a vent open, the holding tank smell permeates the interior.  I always leave the back vent open, I have a Max vent cover on it.  The other time I am aware of the problem is if I roll down the drivers side window while underway.
I am assuming the the venturi effect from the window or the vent is creating a negative pressure in the RV and sucking the fumes out of the tank, through the toilet and into the interior.  Is it possible that the large ball valve at the toilet base is now leaking?  If it is replaced will the problem be solved? Can there be a leak anywhere else?
 While at Giant RV, I purchased a venturi device that goes on the top of the roof vent. It looks like a backwards scoop and it weather vanes in the wind.   I am yet to install it, but I am a bit skeptical that it will create enough of a vacuum to overcome the pressure differential to keep the RV interior sweet smelling.
 Thanks ahead of time for any constructive comments.  Frankly any comments!

Analog Ed

Re: The dreaded bathroom smell
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 102467
We, and several others we know, have been afflicted with the dreaded potty fragrance.  The answer for us was to put one of the inexpensive venturi's on the vent pipe.  Problem solved.  They work like a charm.  The one we bought was a simple t-shaped pipe that attached to the top of the vent pipe.  I see that there are several different types available now.

Dick

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 102470
"Is it possible that the large ball valve at the toilet base is now leaking? "
 If it's holding water, it's not leaking air from the tank. That's what a water seal in a toilet is meant to do. There should be at least half an inch of water in the toilet at all times--even eight or ten hours after flushing. On the other hand, if the seal's *not* holding water, then it most likely is leaking air, causing bad smells.
 "While at Giant RV, I purchased a venturi device that goes on the top of the roof vent. It looks like a backwards scoop and it weather vanes in the wind."
 I picked up one of those at Walmart a couple of months ago. It looks like a good idea, and I know a couple of people who own them and like them. But in my case, the unit I bought (I'm sorry, but I can't remember the brand) had a pipe diameter that was too small to go outside the LD's vent pipe and too large to go inside. After a good deal of head-scratching, I just could not come up with a way to attach it, so I gave it away. If anyone here has installed one of these, I'd be interested in knowing the details, including the brand and model number.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 102471
Ed, Check out post # 16668.  We had a "smell" problem also in our 1995 TK, since it's the same year as yours, this may help. We sealed the 2 holes as outlined in the referenced post and that solved our problem.

Hope this helps, Bob C.
Albuquerque, NM

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 102472
Hey Andy maybe next time a mismatch on diameters comes up, you might try a no-hub band, which is used primarily on connecting cast iron pipe/fittings together. Inside soft rubber gasket, outside two sometimes three ss bands.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 102473
Andy, Any water that I put into the bowl is gone within an hour.  I usually try to leave 3/4  inch of water in the bowl, but it is gone soon after.  So I guess I now know what the problem is.
What does it take to change out the ball valve?  My thought of a vacuum in the tank by adding something on the roof hold any value?  Is it a DIY kind of project?

Thanks for responses.
Analog Ed

Hey Andy maybe next time a mismatch on diameters comes up, you might try a no-hub band, which is used primarily on connecting cast iron pipe/fittings together. Inside soft rubber gasket, outside two sometimes three ss bands.

--- On Tue, 5/19/09, Andy Baird  wrote:
 Subject: [LD] Re: The dreaded bathroom smell
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Tuesday, May 19, 2009, 3:08 PM

"Is it possible that the large ball valve at the toilet base is now leaking? "
 If it's holding water, it's not leaking air from the tank. That's what a water seal in a toilet is meant to do. There should be at least half an inch of water in the toilet at all times--even eight or ten hours after flushing. On the other hand, if the seal's *not* holding water, then it most likely is leaking air, causing bad smells.
 "While at Giant RV, I purchased a venturi device that goes on the top of the roof vent. It looks like a backwards scoop and it weather vanes in the wind."
 I picked up one of those at Walmart a couple of months ago. It looks like a good idea, and I know a couple of people who own them and like them. But in my case, the unit I bought (I'm sorry, but I can't remember the brand) had a pipe diameter that was too small to go outside the LD's vent pipe and too large to go inside. After a good deal of head-scratching, I just could not come up with a way to attach it, so I gave it away. If anyone here has installed one of these, I'd be interested in knowing the details, including the brand and model number.

Andy Baird http://www.andybair d.com/travels/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 102474
"I am assuming the the venturi effect from the window or the vent is creating a negative pressure in the RV and sucking the fumes out of the tank, through the toilet and into the interior"

Ed
 May I suggest that you keep the vent and windows closed and use the dash vent for ventilation until you solve this problem.
 You may have a leaky holding tank vent pipe or a poor seal between the toilet and the floor.
Check the vent pipe where it passes through the interior, from the floor to the ceiling, for a loose or broken fitting. I have seen vent pipes that have pull out of the tank, venting directly into the interior.
 Make sure the toilet mounting bolts are tight. Start by checking to see if the toilet can be rocked or moved.
Pull the plastic cover off the toilet and make sure the stainless-steel hose clamp is tight.
Andy already told you about the seal needing to hold water.

A vent fan or venturi should make a positive difference.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 102475
"I now know what the problem is.

Ed

You posted while I was responding in my previous message It is a DIY project. Flush and clean the tank before starting.
A good RV shop will have the kit. Make sure to have the model number when buying. The ball usually does not need replacing unless it is scored or deeply scratched. The common kit just replaces the Teflon seal and rubber washer.

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 102476
Ed, Consider this home remedy before you purchase a kit.  See message 91033.

Malcolm Blue02MB
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 102477
"I need to ask the LD community about what is becoming a serious issue with my family.  They are beginning to call our 95 LD30 "The Big Rolling Stink."

Analog Ed
Ed, you may have found your problem, but don't rule out the vacuum trap.  See this link:  http://tinyurl.com/pmt7jz
 I use the RV 360 venturi device and it has helped significantly.  I have installation photos if anyone is interested.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 102478
"I use the RV 360 venturi device and it has helped significantly. I have installation photos if anyone is interested."

Chris
 Do you have the old rotating tail style or the new type that looks similar to a standard vent cover?

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 102482
http://tiny.cc/UgXcB In case someone might be interested in building their own.

Ellen

"Do you have the old rotating tail style or the new type that looks similar to a standard vent cover?"

Larry

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 102507

"I use the RV 360 venturi device and it has helped significantly. I have installation photos if anyone is interested."

Chris
 "Do you have the old rotating tail style or the new type that looks similar to a standard vent cover?"

Larry
The old one.  I see on the Website that the old one is no longer available; they are promoting the "360 Siphon".
http://www.rv-360.com/

Chris

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 102509
I purchased the Camco unit that looks much like the old RV360.  Haven't installed it yet.  Would I be better off with the new "360 Siphon"? I do like the low profile look of it.
And also I appreciate all the helpfull comments I have received on this original post.  It turns out that the water seal looks like its in tact, will install a roof siphon once I figure out which one will suit my needs.  The existing roof vent is looking a bit haggerd, its rusted away on one side of top of the tube. I was hoping to just mount the new "siphon" right on over the top of the existing vent.  That way I don't need to interupt the existing seal to the roof. Does that sound correct? Chris, Thanks for the comment on the vent that is at each sink before the gray holding tank. Would there be the same thing for the shower? And where do you suppose it would be located.
Analog Ed

Quote from: Larry W"

Chris

Larry
 The old one.  I see on the Website that the old one is no longer available; they are promoting the "360 Siphon".
http://www.rv-360.com/

Chris

Re: The dreaded bathroom smell - to Analog Ed
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 102522

"...Chris, Thanks for the comment on the vent that is at each sink before the gray holding tank. Would there be the same thing for the shower? And where do you suppose it would be located." Analog Ed
Ed, look at the link I posted.  It shows where the vacuum trap is and if you shine a flashlight under the bathroom and kitchen sinks, you'll see the vacuum trapat about the same place it shows in the article.  At least that's the where they are in my '02 30'.  I surely would hate to have to change either of them as there is no space to work in the bathroom under the sink and the kitchen one is way back in the corner behind everything.  At one time I thought mine had failed in the kitchen because I kept smelling odors from under the sink; however, once I controlled my toilet odor with the RV 360 and using Always Fresh , it disappeared.

Chris

Re: The dreaded bathroom smell - to Analog Ed
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 102523

"...Chris, Thanks for the comment on the vent that is at each sink before the gray holding tank. Would there be the same thing for the shower? And where do you suppose it would be located." Analog Ed
 Ed, look at the link I posted.  It shows where the vacuum trap is and if you shine a flashlight under the bathroom and kitchen sinks, you'll see the vacuum trapat about the same place it shows in the article.  At least that's the where they are in my '02 30'.  I surely would hate to have to change either of them as there is no space to work in the bathroom under the sink and the kitchen one is way back in the corner behind everything.  At one time I thought mine had failed in the kitchen because I kept smelling odors from under the sink; however, once I controlled my toilet odor with the RV 360 and using Always Fresh , it disappeared.

Chris