Skip to main content
Topic: A/C rooftop sealant? Need immediate help, please (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
A/C rooftop sealant? Need immediate help, please
Yahoo Message Number: 100108
Hey Friends, We're in the midst of putting the new Air Conditioner on Ciao.  We removed the old one.  There was tan putty under the gasket on the roof.

Should we put down more putty?
 It doesn't say to use any putty in the instructions and the new unit has a big gasket on it, no putty is included.

But we want to do it right- no leaking!
 If yes, use putty, then can you please tell me what properties it needs to have or what it might be called.  We'll run to Ace or Sears Hardware and get some.
 New unit is a Carrier Air V, 15,000.  It looks like it will just slide in beside the solar panel (there are 2 up there).  Whew!
 I'm taking pictures through the process.  You'll probably be amused with our method for getting the old one off the roof (no, the Nedchanic would NOT throw it over the side like I suggested).

Thanks for the help, Tessa in TX

Re: A/C rooftop sealant? Need immediate help, please
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 100111
Quote from: teresadhill"

If yes, use putty, then can you please tell me what properties it needs to have or what it might be called.  We'll run to Ace or Sears Hardware and get some.

In my frantic effort to find and seal a mysterious roof leak I removed the A/C, fixed some poorly eternabonded tears in the aluminum from a botched A/C replacement, then bedded the gasket in a bead of the PL Ultimate Hybrid Sealant + Adhesive caulk I found at the local Home Depot. And good polyureathane caulk should work.

John

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 100117
Hey Friends, We're in the midst of putting the new Air Conditioner on Ciao.  We removed the old one.  There was tan putty under the gasket on the roof.

Should we put down more putty?
I had our A/C replaced under warantee.  I essentially forced the tech to remove the A/C properly and then we removed the putty.  Unfortunately, I could not get him to replace the putty so our A/C is just sealed down as per Domedict's instructions.  It has not leaked.
 So, my message is that using the putty is better but doing w/o is OK.

Linley

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 100121
Thanks everyone! We raided our supply of caulk gun stuff (with a 50 year warranty) and figured it was better than nothing.

We are finishing up the inside controls now.
 We did get the refrigerator taken out and the new one in, thanks to a friend named, Ed, aka Superman who literally could hold the thing by himself.  I don't think we were much help because we were in shock at how he could lift it alone.  Anyway, thanks to him, we just need to attach the wires and propane and hopefully it works.

Need to run help, but wanted to thank you for the help, Tessa