Skip to main content
Topic: Texas hill country (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Texas hill country
Yahoo Message Number: 99999
We may be heading to the hill country in May and would love some ideas about where to stay and what to do. We'll know we'll be in Bandera at some point but beyond that it's all cemented in jello. My internet connection is sporadic so I may not check this for a few weeks but any and all suggestions are welcome. We really dislike commercial parks but for location we'll use them. Thanks in advance! Can't wait to see the ideas ;-)

Karen - in sunny Alabama

Texas hill country
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 100027
When you're in Bandera be sure to check out Arky Blue's Silver Dollar. Arky is a legend in his own mind. A contemporary of Willie.

Mike  2002 30' IB

Re: Texas hill country
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 100035
We may be heading to the hill country in May and would love some ideas about where to stay and what to do. We'll know we'll be in Bandera at some point but beyond that it's all cemented in jello. My internet connection is sporadic so I may not check this for a few weeks but any and all suggestions are welcome. We really dislike commercial parks but for location we'll use them. Thanks in advance! Can't wait to see the ideas ;-)

Karen - in sunny Alabama
Day trip to Enchanted Rock. It's not all that RV friendly. Get there at 10am to facilitate getting a parking spot, our 26.5 MB fits in a regular spot, but I go ahead and park in a pull through on the end requiring some walking.
 Enchanted Rock came to mind because my wife was asking where I wanted to go next after last weekend's trip to Port Aransas and I said I really want to go back to Enchanted Rock. We've been several times and I still haven't got tired of going there.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 100049
We may be heading to the hill country in May and would love some ideas about where to stay and what to do.
========================= Karen, State Parks are your best options, but make your reservations early as most parks fill up in May, especially on the weekends.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/hill_country/
 Consider Lost Maples, Garner and South Llano in the Bandera area; Inks Lake in the chain lakes area; McKinney Falls minutes from Austin.

Near San Antonio consider Castroville Regional Park.
In Fredericksburg, Lady Bird Johnson Metro park.

Happy Trails, Malcolm Blue02MB in Hill Country
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 100053
"Karen"  wrote: We may be heading to the hill country in May and would love some ideas about where to stay and what to do.
--- Tessa's doc on what to do in the Hill Country offers plenty to keep anyone busy for quite a while! I know that this type of attraction doesn't appeal to everyone, but I heartily second the suggestion of visiting the "Museum of the Pacific War", aka, "the Nimitz", in Fredericksburg:
 http://www.nimitz-museum.org/ 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 100068
We may be heading to the hill country in May and would love some ideas about where to stay and what to do.
Let's see....
 Our favorite is Fredericksburg and we always stay at the KOA (Karen and Richard, the owners, are super people!).  We didn't care for the parking-lot-like Fredericksburg RV Park (which has almost no place to walk your pet).  The Lady Bird municipal park looks nice and has a nice public golf course.
 Don't eat too much breakfast and spend lunch "grazing" on the tasting samples at Rustlin' Rob's downtown (jams, jellies, dips, spreads, etc. plus home made fudge).  Fredericksburg Brewing Company has some tasty beers and food.  Lincoln St. Wine Bar is great for nibbles and wines by the glass or bottles (their motto is "Contributing to the Delinquency of Middle Age) plus live music on occasion.  The Rather Sweet Bakery is owned by Rebecca Rather (aka The Pastry Queen) who has written two cookbooks.  Of course the Nimitz Museum, der Kuchen Laden is a great kitchenware store, Wildseed Farms to see wildflowers and a neat butterly exhibit.

I could go on and on about Fredericksburg!
 It's a short drive to Llano where you MUST stop at Cooper's for real Texas BBQ.
 If you happen to be there in mid-April, check out Burnet's Bluebonnet Festival and Air Show.
 Memorial Day Weekend will be the Texas State Arts and Crafts fair in Kerrville.  It's a juried fair so the quality is excellent.  The Thursday before Memorial Day starts the Kerrville Folk Festival.

And there's the LBJ Ranch in Stonewall, east of Fredericksburg.

Michelle

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 100234
What great ideas! Tessa, your detailed report is priceless!!! We can't wait to get there. Our plans have changed again and now we expect to be there in the middle of April for a month or more. Parking won't be much of a problem since we have a 4X4 Tracker to get around in. Even a 22' can tow easily if the toad is light enough ;-). I have to admit that the Gear Vendor over/under drive helps.

Karen - still enjoying Gulf State Park

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 100236
Since you have a toad, you might want to just stay at Guadelupe River State Park and visit the other places from there.  If you do that, be sure and buy a TX State Park pass when you get there to save the daily admission charges.
 Have fun and be sure and go tubing down the Guadelupe!  But if it is a bit too wild (check the water levels), then try the Comal, the shortest river