Skip to main content
Topic: Need advice for a California campground.................. (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Need advice for a California campground..................
Yahoo Message Number: 99973
This coming July we will traveling from Crater Lake, Oregon to Petaluma, CA and plan to stop at a campground on or close to the coast between Crescent City CA and Petaluma CA, preferably one that has the big redwood trees in it.  Any recommendations?  One we are considering is Richardson Grove State park.  Thanks!

Re: Need advice for a California campground..................
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99977
I checked our blog from our same route (Crater Lake to Redwood area)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 99979
Tessa...looks nice! Do you normally need reservations or is there usually RV spaces available during the summer?? Thanks!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 99981
My memory stinks and I cannot remember, but I don't think you can reserve.  I do remember there were camp hosts and a self-registration box.  You'll want to get there not too late

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 99982
This coming July we will traveling from Crater Lake, Oregon to Petaluma, CA and plan to stop at a campground on or close to the coast between Crescent City CA and Petaluma CA, preferably one that has the big redwood trees in it.  Any recommendations?  One we are considering is Richardson Grove State park.  Thanks!
Take a look at Jedediah Smith or Panther Flat both on rt. 199.  Be sure to make reservations if going to JS as it is always full.
Joe Hamm-San Jose

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 99985
wrote: One we are considering is Richardson Grove State park.
--- Richardson Grove is a good option for a state park roughly mid-way along your route; it's about 6-7 miles south of Garberville.  Madrone and Huckleberry campgrounds both can accommodate RVs up to (nominal) 30', but Oak Flat campground (on the other side of 101 along the Eel), is limited to 24'.  Reservations are advisable if you know the date you'll be there.  You might luck out and get a spot during the week, but on a weekend, it would be tough, especially in the summer.
 If you haven't driven 101 from the OR line to a few miles north of Calpella, be prepared for the two-lane stretches of road interspersed between the four-laners; the two-lane road sections are narrow, curvy, and slow through the redwoods.  One drive not to miss is the Avenue of the Giants; this is part of old 101, and offers good views of old-growth redwoods.  From the north, take exit #656 from 101 at Myers Flat; the "avenue" ends (and re-connects to 101) at exit #645.
 I agree that Prairie Creek (and also Patrick's Point) are lovely, they're pretty close to Crescent City. If you want a camping spot about halfway along your stated route, Richardson Grove would likely work for you.

This area is a lovely part of California.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home