Skip to main content
Topic: 85 LD MP (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
85 LD MP
Yahoo Message Number: 99820
I just bought my first MH, an oldy, but a goody.  In order to use the coach a/c, I read that I need to use the generator.  Does that mean that I run it while driving also?  Also, I don't quite understand the function of the dashboard switch that switches from AC to LP.  Can anyone explain? Thanks

Re: 85 LD MP
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99828
"In order to use the coach a/c, I read that I need to use the generator. Does that mean that I run it while driving also?"

You can, but you may not need to. If the weather isn't too hot, try running the dashboard air conditioner, while a vent fan in back exhausts air. That will pull the cool air from the cab back into the coach, and in many cases will be enough to keep it from getting too hot back there.
 "Also, I don't quite understand the function of the dashboard switch that switches from AC to LP."
 Some older LDs had three-way refrigerators that could run on 120VAC, propane, or 12VDC. A dashboard switch allowed you to choose whether to run on 12VDC or 120VAC/propane. (The refrigerator itself will switch from propane to 120VAC if it senses that AC is present).

One caution, though: you should only run the fridge on 12VDC while driving, when the alternator is putting out plenty of juice. If you try to do it while parked, you'll quickly drain your batteries.

Also, if I remember correctly, the fridge doesn't cool as well when running on 12V as in the other two modes. These drawbacks probably account for the fact that LD hasn't installed three-way fridges in a good many years. Nowadays it's either 120VAC or propane.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"