Skip to main content
Topic: Glass (plastic) handles. (Read 154 times) previous topic - next topic
Glass (plastic) handles.
Yahoo Message Number: 99816
Greetings. We travel in our 30' IB, year 2003. The 'glass' pull handle on our mirrored pantry door broke, and I'm wondering how to replace it without breaking the mirror it's attached to.
The same handles are on our closet doors.
Thanks for any info you can provide! Cheers, Robert

Re: Glass (plastic) handles.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99826
"The 'glass' pull handle on our mirrored pantry door broke, and I'm wondering how to replace it without breaking the mirror it's attached to."

Several of us have discarded the fragile, angular glass handles and replaced them with leather or fabric pull straps at the top corners of the doors. For each door, take a 10" length of 1" wide leather (or heavy fabric sewn into a flat tube), double it, and attach the ends to the top edge of the door with a screw and a flat washer, letting the loop hang down over the door.

It takes a little getting used to, but works fine--and there are no hard protrusions to catch on as you walk past! :-)

Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 99845
"We travel in our 30' IB, year 2003. The 'glass' pull handle on our mirrored pantry  door broke, and I'm wondering how to replace it without breaking the mirroe it;s attached to"

We also have a 30 footer.  I really hated the handles, it seemed I was always bumping into them (especially the one on the pantry).
 I can't remember who first came up with the idea (either Andy or John Coxon), but we all removed the handles completely (easier than you might think, with a plastic putty knife, they came right off).  Then use whatever you like (webbing or leather, we liked the leather) and made a long loop.  On the pantry, we placed it at the top of the door on the same side as the handle and screwed it right into the door.
On the closets, we removed the bottom door catch (it's just screwed in) and screwed the loop on between the door and the catch.  This way it hangs at the bottom right.

We have found this to be a huge improvement,  The doors open fine, the handles are flat and unobtrusive and now I can clean the mirrors without having to work around the funky pulls.  For myself, I never liked how they looked anyway.  YMMV.

I just took some photos, I'll post them here in a few minutes,

Kate http://cholulared.blogspot.com http://www.cholulared.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/83282349@N00/

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 99864
Quote from: Robert M. Larson"

Greetings. We travel in our 30' IB, year 2003. The 'glass' pull handle on our mirrored pantry door broke, and I'm wondering how to replace it without breaking the mirror it's attached to.
The same handles are on our closet doors.
Thanks for any info you can provide! Cheers, Robert
Robert, I've replaced 3 on our '02 30'.  I found matching glass handles at a local glass repair shop.  A hair dryer will loosen up the pull if part of it is still on the mirror. I used a metal kitchen spatula to get the adhesive off.  The key to keeping them from coming off again is to adjust the latches on the doors so they are not so tight.  It's been a while but I think I flattened out the male ends of the latches so there was not so much resistance in the female part, but they were still snug enough to hold the doors closed.  So far that has worked well.

Chris Horst

Arvada (Denver) CO
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 100040
We used Gorilla Glue several years ago and it's still holding strong.

Anne Johnson Lovely La Verne, CA
Gorilla Glue didn't work for me--it just broke off again. When last at the factory, I told Vince about it. They now have new pulls with two attach points. He replaced both of the old ones for me (under $20 as I recall) and they work fine and look great.

Jeanne