Skip to main content
Topic: Kodiak on LD home page (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Kodiak on LD home page
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 99778
Hat's off to Steve and the LD team for the Kodiak 32'. It has almost everything a techie LD guy or gal could ever want. Almost.
 I wonder why Steve only installs three solar panels? Since the engine is being charged simultaneously with the coach batteries Steve has likely installed the HPV-30DR Controller instead of the HPV-22B Controller. With 600 watts input capacity, the HPV-30R can handle up to six 100 watt panels. With 520 AMP hours from the four Trojan T-145's, the rule of thumb of one watt for one amp would seem to dictate at least five 100 panels. Could roof space be a factor on the coach? Anyway, with the inverter charger, a quick battery charge is a flip of the generator switch away.
As much as we enjoy our adventures the dogs enjoy it more. That's why the name on Horatio's dedication plaque reads "For the Boys" past and present: Rommel, Patton, Teddy, Tudor and Arthur.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 99814
It also appears  LD only installed Pro-Fil on the two back batteries in the battery bank. Those are the hardest to reach, of course, but I'd still want Pro-Fil on the front batteries too. If you're gonna do it, do it right!

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 99822

http://www.lazydaze.com/kodiak32.htm

Jim & Donna 1997 RB

I looked but could not find the price.  Does anyone knows? Sam

I believe someone mentioned in an earlier post that the price is around $140,000.
We asked Steve what the price was for the Kodiak when we were at the Mothership last week. He said $140,000.

Bill

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 99834
I believe someone mentioned in an earlier post that the price is around $140,000.
That's 50K more than the 31 footer on the Ford chassis.  Kinda steep, isn't it?

Sam

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 99862
 That's 50K more than the 31 footer on the Ford chassis.  Kinda steep, isn't it?

Sam
For the extra 50K, you get 3000 to 3500 lbs of carrying capacity versus about 1100 lbs on the Ford chassis. You get an inverter versus a converter, you get 4 batteries versus 2, you get 3 solar panels standard, a convection microwave oven versus a regular microwave, etc.

Now for someone who uses their rig for short term excursions to the boondocks, this rig would be overkill and not worth the extra 50K but for full timers or people like Tina and I (on the road continuously for 7 - 8 months at a time), these extra features (and associated costs)are very attractive.

Bill "Wild Thing" 06 MB NE 59

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 99869
"That's 50K more than the 31 footer on the Ford chassis. Kinda steep, isn't it?"
 Take a look at the competition, and I think you may change your mind.
:-) The $140,000 price is very competitive with Kodiak-based "Super C" motorhomes from other makers, as well as with comparably sized and equipped class As.
 As others have pointed out, this isn't just a one-foot-longer version of the old Lazy Daze 30-footers. It's in a different class, really, when you consider the Kodiak's hugely increased CCC, pulling power, and the thousands of bucks worth of amenities that are standard on this coach but optional (or not available) on competing brands.

I predict that once there are a few of them out there and the words gets around, this new model will sell well.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 99895
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Pratt"

For the extra 50K, you get 3000 to 3500 lbs of carrying capacity versus about 1100 lbs on the Ford chassis. You get an inverter versus a converter, you get 4 batteries versus 2, you get 3 solar panels standard, a convection microwave oven versus a regular microwave, etc.
Hmm...  Just for fun, let's see:

Inverter versus converter:  $300? 4 vs 2 batteries:  $300? 3 vs 1 solar panels:  $1,000? convection vs regular microwave:  $100? sub total: $1,700?

Extra CCC = 3,250 - 1,100 = 2,150lbs ($50,000 - $1,700)/ 2,150lbs = $20.47/lb

Sam

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 99897
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Pratt" For the extra 50K, you get 3000 to 3500 lbs of carrying capacity versus about 1100 lbs on the Ford chassis. You get an inverter versus a converter, you get 4 batteries versus 2, you get 3 solar panels standard, a convection microwave oven versus a regular microwave, etc.

Inverter versus converter:  $300? 4 vs 2 batteries:  $300? 3 vs 1 solar panels:  $1,000? convection vs regular microwave:  $100? sub total: $1,700?

Sam
Although the floor plan is almost identical, the two 30/32' LDs are in completely different leagues.  We have an 02' 30'TB.  I would trade it in a minute for the new LD on the Kodiak chassis.  (I say that even though we will soon be posting ours for sale.)  You get what you pay for.

Sharon N.

Crossville, TN

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 99899
It also appears LD only installed Pro-Fil on the two back batteries in the battery bank. Those are the hardest to reach, of course, but I'd still want Pro-Fil on the front batteries too. If you're gonna do it, do it right!

bumper
To do it right, how about AGM batteries, instead of the Trojan T-145s with the Pro-Fil system?  Yes, I know the price difference, but we're talking about a $140,000 RV.

Sharon N.

Crossville, TN

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 99900
"To do it right, how about AGM batteries, instead of the Trojan T-145s with the Pro-Fill system?"
 Hey, they had to leave something for next year's improved model! ;-)
 Seriously, I'm with you. Let's hope they switch over eventually. But meanwhile, 500 Ah of capacity isn't shabby! :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 99904
Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer good quality flooded cell batteries over AGM.
 I was an early adopter of AGM technology in aircraft batteries. Mfg by Concord, and more recently by Gill, I've gotten from 6 months to just 2 years out of them. I'm back using Gill flooded cell in my Mooney. They last 4 to 5 years.
 I do realize this has nothing to do with the results you may get from Lifeline AGM's. But, if you can install in a vented location *and* don't mind taking care of them, flooded cells still deliver more battery for the dollar.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 99910

I believe the base Kodiak is more money than the Ford.
To be fair, you need to factor that in.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 99925
Hat's off to Steve and the LD team for the Kodiak 32'. It has almost everything a techie LD guy or gal could ever want. Almost.

I wonder
There is more than enough room on the roof for 5, maybe even 6 solar panels. Took a look up there yesterday when at the plant to pick up some storage cabinet gasket and some paint. Seriously impressed by the whole package. Storage is fabulous.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 99934
We noticed the solar panels were not glued down to the roof as previously done but raised about an inch above.

Anne Johnson

Lovely (Raining!) La Verne, CA

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 99935
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:19 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Kodiak on LD home page

We noticed the solar panels were not glued down to the roof as previously done but raised about an inch above.

Anne Johnson Lovely (Raining!) La Verne, CA

Is the factory reading this list (g)

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 99942
For the record, the Mothership has been doing that a while!  On my '05, picked up in January of 2005, the two panels were similarly raised above the roof.

Some things they learn quickly! :)

Alex Rutchka '05 MB
They were doing it in 2002, as well. Our '02, picked up in July 2002, has the panels raised above the roof.

Sharon N.
'02 30TB

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 99946

Anne Johnson

Lovely (Raining!) La Verne, CA

bumper

Ya Think?!?

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 99947

bumper

Ya Think?!?
My factory mounted 2001 solar panels are mounted about 1.5" above the roof.

Linley

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 99950

The factory-installed panels on my 2004 RB are raised.  Moreover, AM Solar installed 2 more used BP-85s a few months ago, and the current mounting brackets raised them even higher than the originals.  --Ted