Skip to main content
Topic: Shades in 2008 (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Shades in 2008
Yahoo Message Number: 99709
Has anyone retrofitted their coach with the side to side track shades on the 2008? Also does anyone recommend a person or place to replace carpet with new? Your response is really appreciated Harvey Pepper  07 30IB :0)

Re: Shades in 2008
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99710
Yes, as far as the shade question goes.  I had Tim Pease, from Extramile RV change mine out on my '07 MB.  I like them much, much better.  Tim did a great job and I highly recommend him. Photo
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 99719
Harvey, about $400.00, that includes material as well as installation.
These are the exact same shade that LD uses.  The installation is difficult and labor intensive due to removal of all the valances. I was at a point where I really was getting tired of having that large shade "ball up" every time we used it.  I am very happy with the new shade and am very glad that I had Tim Pease do the work.  I think if I had bought the shade and tired to put it
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 99729
"The installation is difficult and labor intensive due to removal of all the valances."
 I've removed the valances from two LDs (1985 and 2003), and unless the factory is building them differently now, the job really isn't difficult if you have a good electric screwdriver and a 6" extension bit.
 However, I heartily agree with your comment that "Sometimes you just have defer to the experts on remodel projects." Everybody has their own comfort level with a given job, and there's a point where it's better to hand it over to a pro like Tim Pease or Mike & Lisa Sylvester.
 For example, I installed my own towing bracket (baseplate) on my new Honda Fit, but I'm leaving the US Gear brake installation to Mike & Lisa. I read the installation manual, understood it, but concluded that I just didn't want to tackle that particular job.

Another example: when I bought Skylark, I had Mike & Lisa install a bunch of electrical items, such as solar panels and an XBM battery monitor, even though I had done those jobs on my previous rig. Why? Because I knew that if I did all the work myself, it would take me a year to get around to all those tasks, and I wanted a well-equipped rig NOW. So I paid Mike & Lisa to do the work and get it over with.

I encourage everyone to keep an open mind about what you can do yourself, and not to be intimidated. There's a lot you can do with simple tools and simple skills... that's what the "Improving Gertie" part of my website is all about:

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/improv.htm>
 At the same time, there's no shame in saying "I'm just not comfortable with this particular task," and calling in a pro.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 99734
Andy, thanks for your comments.  Part of what motivated me to get Tim put it on, was frankly, timing.  I was
2001 MB