Skip to main content
Topic: 87 22' LD Price-high/low? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
87 22' LD Price-high/low?
Yahoo Message Number: 99625
I'm looking at an 87 rear bath LD. It has 38k miles, a solar panel, two new tires and battery. The pics look like it's in great shape.
That's about all the specs I have for now. The price is 6900.I thought that was good, but now too sure now. It's been a few years since I was serious about getting one. Are there more to be had now? I was shocked when I saw this one and no one had snatched it up.
Thanks from the newby, Kathi

Re: 87 22' LD Price-high/low?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99629
Kathi, it's hard to know if the price is right without close physical examination.  And even then it still depends on the buyer's expectation.
 That said, an 87 might be a good thing, if it has FUEL INJECTION.  That would give you about 10% better gas mileage.
 For what it's worth, I bought an 82 front lounge (rear bath) about 3 months ago for $3,000.  Since then, I have put in $200 for fixing it (power steering and transmission fluid leak, and new house battery).  I have driven it more than 3,000 miles.  It's in good shape for its age, but then good is subjective.  Anyway, I'm very happy with it.  This is my first RV.  At this price, I can try out the lifestyle, mess around with it, and not worry about resale value.  Good luck.

Sam

I'm looking at an 87 rear bath LD. It has 38k miles, a solar panel,
two new tires and battery. The pics look like it's in great shape.
That's about all the specs I have for now. The price is 6900.I thought that was good, but now too sure now. It's been a few years since I was serious about getting one. Are there more to be had now? I was shocked when I saw this one and no one had snatched it up.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 99630
Thanks for the reply, Sam. BTW, that's my son's name. I'll be sure to ask if it's fuel injected. The interior looks brand new, according to the pics, as does the exterior.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 99631
ask if it's fuel injected. The interior looks brand new, according to the pics, as does the exterior.
Wow! If that's the case, then it sounds like a good deal to me.

Sam

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 99632
Hi Kathi,
Don't know what area you are in or how far you are willing to travel to look.  If you happen to be in the So. Cal. area there are a lot of L.D.s out there and it is definately a buyers market.  I found when looking for mine that there are older L.D.s around that have been really well taken care of, some of which are extremely nice.
The more you can look at the better idea you'll have as to what's out there and what the market is.  I looked long and hard for mine, but when I found it it jumped right out at me.  Also as I said it's a good market to be looking in and they are not being snatched up like they were a couple years ago.
Good luck.
Skip

Thanks for the reply, Sam. BTW, that's my son's name. I'll be sure to ask if it's fuel injected. The interior looks brand new, according to the pics, as does the exterior.

Kathi, it's hard to know if the price is right without close physical examination.  And even then it still depends on the buyer's
expectation.

That said, an 87 might be a good thing, if it has FUEL
INJECTION.  That

would give you about 10% better gas mileage.

For what it's worth, I bought an 82 front lounge (rear bath)
about 3

months ago for $3,000.  Since then, I have put in $200 for
fixing it

(power steering and transmission fluid leak, and new house
battery).  I

have driven it more than 3,000 miles.  It's in good shape for
its age,

but then good is subjective.  Anyway, I'm very happy with it.
This is

my first RV.  At this price, I can try out the lifestyle, mess around with it, and not worry about resale value.  Good luck.

Sam

I'm looking at an 87 rear bath LD. It has 38k miles, a solar
panel,

two new tires and battery. The pics look like it's in great
shape.

That's about all the specs I have for now. The price is 6900.I thought that was good, but now too sure now. It's been a few years
since I was

serious about getting one. Are there more to be had now? I was shocked when I saw this one and no one had snatched it up.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 99633
Hey Kathi: There are files/links on this group site which will help you when checking out the 87 rig. Some ideas also to think about is you can google NADA website after determining what options/extras the rig has. That will give you a ball park figure to study. BUT before you commit you need to take the time to drive it, crawl underneath and look it over real good, hook up the water hose connection and check ALL faucets for leaks, drainage, etc. Also get a ladder and look up on the roof to see how it looks....repairs been made? punctures, etc. 39000 miles is good, but means the rig has sat, somewhere. Did anybody live

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 99636
"an 87 might be a good thing, if it has FUEL INJECTION."

Fuel injection didn't appear in Lazy Dazes until 1990, according to our "LD models over the years" document in the Files area of this website. '87 LDs were carbureted, with all the attendant drawbacks--mainly poor performance at high altitude. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one, but be aware of its limitations and don't pay too much.

My own feeling is that $6,900 is pretty steep for a twenty-year-old Lazy Daze, especially considering that with a rig that old, you'll want to set aside at least two thousand extra for repairs, new tires, etc. John's advice on inspecting it is excellent, and you'll find more good tips in our Files > "Buying & Selling" folder. Certainly with a rig this old, you'll want to pay a mechanic to give it a good going-over. The resulting report will give you ammunition when negotiating a purchase, should you decide to buy.
 You asked "Are there more to be had now?" The answer is yes--there are more LDs for sale in our website's "Buying & Selling" folder than I can ever remember seeing before. In short... this isn't the only used LD in the world, so don't feel you have to jump on it if it looks as though it will need extensive work.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 99637
I've got an 89 and it's definitely fuel injected.  So you might be a little off on your 1990 date.  I'm not sure that I agree with 6,900.00 being steep.  It all depends on the condition of the unit.  I paid 12,000.00 for my 89, of course this was about 5 years ago.  It only had 24,000 miles on it at the time, but I feel like I got a very fair deal considering the condition of the unit.  That being said, I still have put another 6,000.00 into it.  Of course most of that was in upgrades to the exhaust, intake, solar, tires, stereo and tv etc.  But I did go through and replace all belts and hoses, drained and replaced all fluids with synthetic oils.  I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.  If you can get a good RV for under 8,000.00 with repairs or upgrades that has only 38,000 miles on it and you use it and enjoy it, it's probably a good deal for you.  The one thing about a Lazy Daze is they do hold up much better than lots of RV's from that vintage.  My 89 is still very tight and drives and rides really nice.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 99638
Fuel injection didn't appear in Lazy Dazes until 1990, according to our "LD models over the years" document in the Files area of this website.
I seems to recall that GM changed over to throttle body injection around 87, 88, and then added overdrive (4-speed) in 90.

Sam

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 99640
Kathi,

Just want to add that you might want to ask the seller to send you high resolution pictures, so you can zoom

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 99648
Great Tips everyone! Thanks. I sent a spec sheet to the owner.
According to that, Nada says $5,055.00 is the average price. The pictures if the inside were high res, and the carpet and chairs looked new. I did notice water marks on the curtains over the cab.
I'm so glad to know there are more around. I remember when one would go on the market, it was gone almost instantly.
I think I'm going to back off a bit. It's not the floor plan I wanted, but I thought I might not get another chance.
Once again, thanks for all the help, I knew this was the place to go.

Kathi

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 99659
"I did notice water marks on the curtains over the cab."
 Uh-oh! That means leaks in the roof (not unusual in a rig this old), which could translate into major, expensive repairs.

"I remember when one would go on the market, it was gone almost instantly."
 Not when it's twenty years old. Late-model LDs (say, five years old or less) still sell pretty quickly, but decades-old ones typically don't sell right away, and prices are much more negotiable than with newer models.
 I don't know what your budget is, Kathi, but if you can afford to shop for a mid- to late-nineties LD, you'll get a lot of advantages: more cargo capacity, a better engine, no leak-prone front window, and so on. A good year to start looking would be 1997, when Lazy Daze moved all their models to Ford chassis with electronic ignition and air bags.

Andy Baird

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 99662
When we bought our 1987 22FL, we had a budget of $6000.  We would have preferred a newer model but we didn't want to stretch our budget.  After using our 22FL on four occasions in four months, we love it!

Yes, its slow.  Yes, it has its quirks.  Yes, the sofa is uncomfortable to sleep on (going to move to the overhead bed).  Yes, the carburetor floods if you pump the throttle to many times (learned this the hard way).  Yes, it gets 8 mpg.  Yes, we've had to do some work to it but the little RV grows on you.  Kind of like the little train that could.

As we've spent money tightening the belts, replacing the fluids etc. I've reminded myself that the money is an investment for family time.  PRICELESS!  My recommendation is to stick to your budget and leave the option open to upgrade when your budget increases.  This is what we hope to do when our our family size increases (now I know we'd like a 1997 or newer LD).  With the suggestion from this forum; prior to purchasing the 22FL we budgeted $2000 in discretionary funds for repairs.

Now that we have our 10 month old daughter, the 22FL has been our best family investment to date.  We have so much fun traveling and camping with it.

Rob, Maria and Selah (10 mo.)

1987 22FL

Windows Live': Discover 10 secrets about the new Windows Live.
http://www.lazydazeowners.com/ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 99664
"The money is an investment for family time. PRICELESS! My recommendation is to stick to your budget and leave the option open to upgrade when your budget increases."
 Well said, Rob! As many of you know, my first RV was a 1985 Lazy Daze, "Gertie," that I purchased for $10,000 when it was 15 years old. If I hadn't been able to buy a well-equipped motorhome for such an affordable price, I probably would never have gotten into RVing, because there was no way I'd have spent sixty or seventy thousand bucks on a late-model or new Lazy Daze--back then, I had no way of knowing how much I was going to enjoy RVing! But once I'd vacationed in Gertie for four years and lived in her full-time for a year and a half, THEN it made sense to spend $62,000 for Skylark, my 2003 LD, purchased when it was three years old.

A lot depends on how handy with tools you are, and how much time, sweat, and money you're willing to put into repairs and upgrades. When I bought Gertie, I was confident of my ability to fix or upgrade a lot of things. I had a good collection of tools, including power tools, and the skills to use them. And I had the money set aside to pay professionals to fix what I couldn't. A 15-year-old rig with 115,000 miles on the odometer was something I felt I could handle. Obviously Rob felt the same way, and he and his family are getting their money's worth out of their '87 LD.

But not everybody is like Rob and me. If you're not much of a do-it-yourselfer... if resealing roofs, building shelves, and adding pantry cupboards isn't your idea of fun... or if you simple don't want the hassle, because all you really want to do is *travel*... then you'll probably want to shop for the most recent rig you can stretch your budget to accommodate, because that'll reduce the chances of your needing to spend major amounts of time and money fixing it up.

It all depends on your personality and skills. To some people, a "fixer upper" is a challenge, even a hobby. To others, it's just a series of annoyances and things to be fixed. You need to decide which category you fall into before you decide what to shop for.

Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 99667
Well said fellas. Yesterday I had a dead chassis battery, which came as a suprise. As I unbolted the cables and the hold down and pulled the old one out I had to winch at the site of the battery "box". Overall not too bad after a through scraping with a brass brush, but with the older rigs you never know what your getting into. But on the bright side the older ones are easier to work on. You can still get your hands inro the affected areas, at least so far. But we love ours also I look forward to every outing!!!!! John O. in the ol' 85.