Skip to main content
Topic: coach batterys (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
coach batterys
Yahoo Message Number: 99612
Hello Group I had a quick question. On our 85 22'RB the genset is tied into my wireing so as to power up the 115v sockets which is no suprise. Does the genset while running ALSO charge up the coach batteries and or chassis battery to? The simple diagram in the back of the original owners manual doesn't show the genset wireing at all. Excuse any mispellings please....Thank you once again. John O. Don'y have a name yet the S.O. didn't like my first choice.....

Re: coach batteries
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99613
"Does the genset while running ALSO charge up the coach batteries and or chassis battery to?"

The generator does charge the coach batteries (via your converter), but at a very slow rate--only a few amps, as I recall--using the Magnetek 6345 converter that was included in 1985 rigs. It does NOT charge the starting battery, however. The same limitations apply when you're plugged into campground power.

You could greatly increase the charging rate by replacing your old converter with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power or similar up-to-date model. Expect to spend about two hundred bucks (plus labor) for a 60A model:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/converters-rv-converters-electrical-batteries.htm?source=google&gclid=CKvS5NyN-JgCFRFMagodQGA8lg>

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 99615
> You could greatly increase the charging rate by replacing your old > converter with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power or similar > up-to-date model. Expect to spend about two hundred bucks (plus labor) > for a 60A model: >

For people like myself, with a small battery bank (up to 250AH), I wonder if a $50 25amp intelligent battery charger can be used instead of the more expensive converter.
 I guess that a higher charging rate would be unnecessary for smaller bank.  25/250 is already C/10 or the highest recommended charged rate for longevity of flooded lead-acid batteries (http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm).

Sam

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 99642
"For people like myself, with a small battery bank (up to 250AH), I wonder if a $50 25amp intelligent battery charger can be used instead of the more expensive converter."

Sam

Who sells a $50 intelligent charger that puts out a true 25-amps? To be 'intelligent', it must have a minimum of 3-stages of charging.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 99645

Sam

Who sells a $50 intelligent charger that puts out a true 25-amps?
To be 'intelligent', it must have a minimum of 3-stages of

charging.

Larry

Larry,

This one

Ebay item # 290294815709
 It's built by Vector, now Black & Decker.  I'm not sure it 3-stages, but it sounds intelligent to me.  I have not decided on what I really want yet, so I haven't done sufficient research on it.

Sam

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 99646
"Ebay item # 290294815709"

Sam
 The limited specs look OK and B&D's website claims it has a 5-year warranty.
http://tinyurl.com/a9v7ap It would hard to lose unless the warranty is full of holes.
Still, $50 seems awful cheap.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 99655
You could greatly increase the charging rate by replacing your old converter with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power or similar up-to-date model. Expect to spend about two hundred bucks (plus
labor)

for a 60A model:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/converters-rv-converters-
electrical-batteries.htm?source=google&gclid=CKvS5NyN- JgCFRFMagodQGA8lg>

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
You can get a PD 60A refurbished on eBay for $147 with free shipping.
Includes charge wizard and remote pendant.

eBay Item number: 130290012572

I plan to put one in our '88 26MB sometime this year...

Regards, Adam

coach batteries
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 104221
"thats why we use DEEP CYCLE batteries because they can take being run down, charge wise and then recuperate after being reenergized. Good luck you should be fine. John in the ol 85'."

Well, maybe not.  After sitting all winter with only a couple of chargings our coach batteries appear to be toast.   We have charged them with shore power for a week and they can only run the fantastic fan for an hour or so.  Our solar panel is broken from a tree branch strike.

Research shows new batteries priced from about $100 to $400 each! Any recommendations?

To prevent this problem in the future what should we buy as a replacement for the solar panel?  There again the prices are all over the board!  All we want is to keep the batteries from going dead in the future.

Lisa '92 MB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2004 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 104223
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 7:49 AM
 Subject: [LD] coach batteries

Well, maybe not. After sitting all winter with only a couple of chargings our coach batteries appear to be toast. Lisa '92 MB

And therin lies the key. It's a combination of depth of discharge *plus* the time the batteries are left stored in a discharged condition. The amount of time determines how they will fare when you charge, or try to charge, the battieries back up. When batteries are stored discharged, the plates will start to sulphate . . . the longer they go without charging, the more sulphation occurs.
 If one goofs and discharges the batteries "flat", but catches the error and charges the batteries back up before too long, then the batteries may be "saved".  True, some amount of permanent damage (loss of capacity) will be done, but it may be so small that the batteries are still quite servicable.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 104226
Oh I see more info has surfaced. Cold weather takes its toll on any battery and I didn't realize your batteries were drained for an xtended time period, not to mention broken solar panel. Sounds like battery replacement time...Good luck!