Skip to main content
Topic: Shower Roof Hood (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Shower Roof Hood
Yahoo Message Number: 99485
I have a 2005 MidBath. The other day I went up on the roof and noticed that the shower roof hood was gone. It must have blown off while I was driving. I had noticed a few months earlier that it developed cracks around the screws that hold it down. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to replace it with and where to get it? I probably don't want to use the same hood that it came with as it didn't last very long.
Thanks, Ron

Re: Shower Roof Hood
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99487
Ron,
 If you do have to get the original from the factory, consider painting it. I used white spray paint from Home Depot. Get the one labeled for plastics). A couple of good coats should give the plastic good UV protection.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 99489
"...and noticed that the shower roof hood was gone."

Ron
Well Ron, now you're a real Lazy Dazer!

I have a 2004 30'IB and within the first year my 'original' shower 'skylight' dome dissappeared somewhere along Interstate 5 as I was heading toward Redding. Never knew when or why!

#2 is still in use although in bad shape and needing replacement.

#3 is in the wings waiting to come on stage. I will give this one a coat or two of paint. If you ask the Mother Ship they will tell you to contact their supplier at:

VENTLINE 902 South Division Bristol, IN 46507 574-848-4491

Ask for their "DOME, WHITE PLASTIC 20 X 20

I forget what the price was but suppose it's gone up since then.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 99491
Ron I also have a 2005 Midbath. My shower skylight also cracked badly and had to be replaced. Lazy Daze told me that got a bad batch from their supplier. LD had the supplier ship me a replacement at no cost. It has been fine since I got it in 2006.

Stan

__

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 99493
I've had no need to replace mine yet, but since it's a relatively simple thing to fabricate, why not head down to your local window shop and ask if they can make one out of tempered glass, or double glazed? I'd actually prefer clear glass to make this a real skylight.
 If going DIY, just order the glass and make the frame from 2 X 2 aluminum angle, using urethane caulk to assemble. No more problems with UV deterioration.

bumper Yonder Minden NV
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 99498
"I've had no need to replace mine yet, but since it's a relatively
simple thing to fabricate, why not head down to your local window shop and ask if they can make one out of tempered glass, or double glazed? I'd actually prefer clear glass to make this a real skylight..."

bumper Yonder Minden NV
I like the skylight effect however it seems like it's either too hot or too cold, and with the shower door closed, the skylight effect is not distributed within the coach.  I think many folks do as I do which is shove a piece of Reflectix in the space to control the temps.  Kate Klein has a lovely cloud formation attached to hers but that doesn't control the temp extremes.  Maybe she'll post a photo of it.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 99499
"I like the skylight effect however it seems like it's either too hot or too cold, and with the shower door closed, the skylight effect is not distributed within the coach."
 This is just a personal preference, but I like a lot of light, and I love what the shower skylight does for the bathroom. I've been in Lazy Dazes where the skylight was painted over, and I hated the gloominess in the bathroom--I felt as if I were in a cave!
 I haven't very often noticed the skylight making the bath too hot, but for those occasions when it does, I found a simple solution: I mounted a roller blind in the skylight's frame. (As it happens, the one from the entry door fits perfectly. I replaced it in the doorway with an insulated honeycomb blind.) On a hot day, it takes just seconds to pull the blind across; it hooks to an L-shaped screw hook on the opposite side of the frame. With it rolled out to cover the underside of the skylight, heat gain in the bathroom is noticeably reduced.

With respect to the problem of the skylight becoming brittle and flying off: from the descriptions I've seen here, it seems the problem usually occurs at the riveted edges--not surprising, since the rivet holes weaken the plastic. The same thing has been widely reported to happen to the escape hatch up front, and indeed, soon after buying my 2003 rig (in 2006), I observed cracks along the front edge of that cover where it's riveted to the hinge.
 Again, my solution was simple: I ran a strip of Eternabond tape along the front edge of the hatch, covering both the rivets and the cracks.
Three years later, there's no evidence of further cracking. The Eternabond tape does double duty, protecting the vulnerable area from sunlight and holding it together.
 There's no reason why one couldn't run Eternabond around the edges of the shower skylight, covering the riveted portion and preventing any further damage while reinforcing the weakened area. Used at the edges only, the tape wouldn't block light coming through the skylight--the roller blind trick would take care of that. This seems to me a much more attractive solution than the drastic step of painting over the skylight and plunging the bathroom into gloom.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 99500
"I like the skylight effect however it seems like it's either too hot or too cold, and with the shower door closed, the skylight effect is not distributed within the coach."

"I haven't very often noticed the skylight making the bath too hot,
but for those occasions when it does, I found a simple solution: I mounted a roller blind in the skylight's frame. (As it happens, the one from the entry door fits perfectly. I replaced it in the doorway with an insulated honeycomb blind.) On a hot day, it takes just seconds to pull the blind across; it hooks to an L-shaped screw hook on the opposite side of the frame. With it rolled out to cover the underside of the skylight, heat gain in the bathroom is noticeably reduced."

The blind across the skylight is a great idea.  Regarding the honeycomb blind in the doorway, does it just cover the window or the entire door frame, valence to stepwell thus actually providing an insulated barrier on cold days/nights?

Chris 2002 30' IB
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 99501
"Regarding the honeycomb blind in the doorway, does it just cover the window or the entire door frame, valance to stepwell, thus actually providing an insulated barrier on cold days/nights?"
 It goes a few inches below the window, but by no means does it cover the entire door frame... and there's room for air to leak at its sides, so while it's better than the roller blind, it's far from being a perfect insulator. I didn't make any effort to do a better job because I haven't really been bothered by drafts from the entry area, although I know many people have.

Andy Baird

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 99508
Again, my solution was simple: I ran a strip of Eternabond tape along the front edge of the hatch, covering both the rivets and the cracks.
Three years later, there's no evidence of further cracking. The Eternabond tape does double duty, protecting the vulnerable area from sunlight and holding it together.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels/>http://www.andybaird.com/travels/

That sounds like a good idea.  Would you do this to all the plastic 'covers' (escape hatch, vent covers..like Maxx Air, ect.)?  Would white duct tape work in case you ever have to remove the rivets?  Also, would you paint all these plastic 'covers' white to help keep them all from cracking?

Last fall as I was parked at the beach, a big wind came up as I was walking dogs.  I heard a loud bang and off came the top of a vent cover. I have no idea why because they were all in the closed position.  After I finally got it attached again, I put duct tape on the front and then decided all 3 needed taping "just in case".  After I got home I got some white duct tape and redid them for extra insurance.  Maybe they too need something taped onto their rivets too?

Judy Wms.

Blue '07 RB  "Dog Daze"

And all the fur kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 99509
Judy,
 I had problems with cracks in my escape hatch a couple of years ago.  I originally put duct tape on it as a temporary measure, but did not get around to doing anything with it for a few months.  The duct tape was already beginning to weather and lift up in that time.  I replaced the duct tape with Eternabond after that, and it is as good an new several years later.  I recommend the Eternabond rather than duct tape for a more long-term solution.

Barry Where are we?  http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=122

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 99511
"Would you do this to all the plastic 'covers' (escape hatch, vent covers..like Maxx Air, ect.)?"

You're talking about several different things. Yes, I think it's a good idea to do it to the escape hatch and shower skylight, because there have been many reports of those breaking loose and flying away.
No, I see no need to do it to Maxxair or similar vent covers; I've never heard of one of those coming off.
 As for unprotected vent lids (such as the one you lost)... well, you *could* tape the hinge end, but a much better solution would be to put a Maxxair or Aero-Flo cover over the vent. That would protect the vent lid from direct sunlight, and more important, allow you to get ventilation in any kind of weather. I've never understood why the factory doesn't put a cover on every vent as a standard item.
 "Would white duct tape work in case you ever have to remove the rivets? "
 As Barry explained, duct tape isn't intended for outdoor use, and it has a very short lifespan when exposed to direct sunlight. I strongly recommend against using it for rooftop repairs. Get yourself some Eternabond; rooftop use is what it's meant for.

"would you paint all these plastic 'covers' white to help keep them all from cracking?"

You could, but as I explained in my previous message, I surely wouldn't! To do so would make the rig's interior horribly dark. And with judicious use of Eternabond tape, it shouldn't be necessary to paint over the covers.

Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 99512
"Would you do this to all the plastic 'covers' (escape hatch, vent covers..like Maxx Air, ect.)?"

You're talking about several different things.
I suggest it would be a bad idea to seal a max-air to the roof (if we're talking about the same thing)
 My vent covers are screwed to angle brackets and stand about 0.25 inch above the roof.  Water that enters through the vent slots can get out.

John

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 99522
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:43:16 -0000, "Andy Baird" andybaird@...> wrote these inspiring words:

more attractive solution than the drastic step of painting over the skylight and plunging the bathroom into gloom.
and putting the solar light in the dark.

That light has been one of our best mods.
Great idea Andy.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 99525
*could* tape the hinge end, but a much better solution would be to put a Maxxair or Aero-Flo cover over the vent. That would protect the vent lid from direct sunlight, >>

I already have 3 Aero -Flo covers over my vents.  It was the cover (the top piece) on an Aero-Flo that flew off (sorry I didn't make that clear).  That was why I put some white duct tape on the part you can lift up to clean so they all wouldn't fly off again.  Now I don't trust them.

Is there a clear sealer that would work fine on plastic that could be used on the escape hatch for sun protection?  I don't have a shower skylight to worry about.

Judy Wms.

Blue '07 RB  "Dog Daze"

And all the fur kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 99526
"It was the cover (the top piece) on an Aero-Flo [vent cover] that flew off."

Those are pretty sturdy--it's hard to imagine the molded-in hinges breaking off. A more likely cause would be failing to tighten the two captive screws on the other end of the lid sufficiently, so that they gradually loosen up due to vibration. If you think that might have happened, a drop of blue Loctite on each screw would prevent any recurrence, while still letting you remove the cover for cleaning.

Andy Baird