Skip to main content
Topic: Water pump question (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Water pump question
Yahoo Message Number: 99466
I have a question about my water pump....I replaced it (old one went ka-put), with the same model, a shurflo classic.   Now I'm getting a weird shower - I get hot water, then a blast of cold...it alternates now, where it never did before.

Any guesses why from the world's most knowledgeable folks?

Shurflo couldn't give me an answer on this one!

Thank you, Helen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Water pump question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99477
I have a question about my water pump....I replaced it (old one went ka-put), with the same model, a shurflo classic.  Now I'm getting a weird shower - I get hot water, then a blast of cold...it alternates now,
where it

never did before.

Only thing that makes sense to me is that some part or debris got into the plumbing, and partially blocking either hot or cold. It probably is moving around, intermittently blocking the water flow. If your shower force is at more than a trickle, you might not notice a pressure variation, since the limited flow of the pump just transfers over to the path of least resistance. If you don't notice this issue at other spigots, then the blockage has probably moved to the shower valve. Disconnecting the inlet plumbing to the valve should allow removal of the problem debris.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 99478
"I get hot water, then a blast of cold...it alternates now, where it never did before."
 I don't know why it's doing that, Helen, but it's easy to avoid that problem, as we discussed a week ago. See post #99251 for a simple way to prevent the hot-and-cold behavior you're experiencing, and save propane as well. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 99495

I have a question about my water pump....I replaced it (old one went ka-put), with the same model, a shurflo classic.  Now I'm getting a weird shower - I get hot water, then a blast of cold...it alternates now, where it never did before.

Only thing that makes sense to me is that some part or debris got into the plumbing, and partially blocking either hot or cold. It probably is moving around, intermittently blocking the water flow. If your shower force is at more than a trickle, you might not notice a pressure variation, since the limited flow of the pump just transfers over to the path of least resistance. If you don't notice this issue at other spigots, then the blockage has probably moved to the shower valve. Disconnecting the inlet plumbing to the valve should allow removal of the problem debris.

Steve
Steve,
 Thank you - when you say disconnect the inlet plumbing to the valve, are you referring to where it goes into the shower plumbing?

Helen

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 99504
Thank you - when you say disconnect the inlet plumbing to the valve, are you referring to where it goes into the shower plumbing?

Helen
Yes, but make certain you don't have the problem at other locations first, such as bath sink, kitchen sink, outside shower, etc. If you do, then that will help show where in the plumbing the obstruction may be.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 99796
Well, that's tonight's project, I guess.  It isn't happening at the sinks, so it is just at the tub/shower.
 Will let everyone know what happens.  Probably a good idea to run the faucets empty then disconnect, right?
 It's easy access to that area, a little door in the wall by the bed.

Helen