Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing stock RB bath vent with Fantastic Create-a-Breeze vent (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing stock RB bath vent with Fantastic Create-a-Breeze vent
Yahoo Message Number: 99331
Does anyone have a view on the ease with which a 2004 RB stock bath vent can be replaced by the 14x14 Fantastic equivalent (Create-a-Breeze)  The only thread I could find close to this topic goes back to 2002 (Message No. 13913).  My choices are:  DIY, Camping World (new vent was purchased there), or other 3rd party installer.
 The main concerns are:  sufficiency of original wiring, integrity of roof seal, and how challenging this task will be (ranging from swap-out-swap-in to replacement of entire housing and caulking).  I am a self-taught (with some mentoring), minimally-experienced, novice LD owner.
 DYI or "professional" installation?  If the latter, what instructions are necessary to be sure it is done right?  Any "gotchas" to know in advance?

Thanks--Ted

Re: Replacing stock RB bath vent with Fantastic Create-a-Breeze vent
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99340
I will be changing out the stock fan on my 93 RB with the Fantastic Fan 8000 Create A Breeze which is the one I believe you are talking about.

I think the hardest part will be removing the old sealant to remove the old fan.  Once that is done the install of new fan should be easy.

It will have to get warmer around here before I start that project.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 99342
I think the hardest part will be removing the old sealant to remove the old fan.  Once that is done the install of new fan should be r.
It won't be so much a removal of the old sealant as a destruction of the old vent - the sealant is far tougher than the vent frame.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 99349
Hi Ted,

I did that job on our 2000 RB last year.

...snip...
The main concerns are: sufficiency of original wiring,
The available slack in the roof was adequate but  barely.  I was not able to *uncrimp* the butt connector so I had to clip the wire on either side of the connector losing a small amount of wire.  I still had enough free wire for the installation without straining the electrical connections.
...snip...

integrity of roof seal, and how challenging this task will be (ranging from swap-out-swap-in to replacement of entire housing and caulking).
...snip...
I used a heat gun, a hair dryer may do, to soften the sealant and then lots of elbow grease to scrape it off.  My installation had a layer of plumbers tape under the  exterior mounting skirt but that came up easily.  It was still very pliable even after eight years.

I installed the fan using the same materials Lazy Daze did.  I did find the screws provided with the fan were one size smaller diameter than the original so I had to purchase replacement screws that fit.

Hope this is helpful.

Safe Travels,

Dave N Albuquerque
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 99360
The main concerns are: sufficiency of original wiring,
 The available slack in the roof was adequate but  barely.  I was not able to *uncrimp* the butt connector so I had to clip the wire on either side of the connector losing a small amount of wire.  I still had enough free wire for the installation without straining the electrical connections.
Thanks, Dave.  Great info.  I made at least one mistake of ambiguity.
When I said "sufficiency of ...wiring", I meant the sufficiency of the wire gauge--not its length.  On this forum, I read concerns about this and some have run new, heavier gauge wiring from the light fixture.

Also, what were the "original Lazy Daze" materials that you used on the new installation?  I have been wondering if eternabond would be appropriate, but that's pure speculation.  I have seen one eternabond kit that is marketed specifically for vent installations.  Thanks a lot--Ted