Skip to main content
Topic: Condensation on escape hatch (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Condensation on escape hatch
Yahoo Message Number: 99277
Does anyone else have this issue?  On cold and rainy nights, this vent drips onto the mattress and any bedding that may be on the bed.  If you have had this issue, how did you resolve it? Thank you

Re: Condensation on escape hatch
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99278
This has been discussed many times..quick fix for us was get some velcro stick on and apply to the frame of the hatch. Camping world sells the silver window block out material. Fold up a towel and stick it inside the hatch and cover with block out. done deal.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 99280
"On cold and rainy nights, this vent drips onto the mattress"
 It doesn't have to be rainy--just cold. Moisture condenses on the cold frame and drips onto the bed. The answer is simple: insulate the frame. The best way to do that is to call the LD factory and get their insulated cover that snaps in place over the entire hatch. (Velcro will do in a pinch, but it has a nasty habit of oozing off in hot weather.) Or as John did, you can make an insulated cover of your own.
 The key is to insulate not just the inside of the hatch, but the metal frame around it. It's the frame's aluminum that conducts heat and causes the condensation problem.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 99451
Does anyone else have this issue?  On cold and rainy nights, this vent drips onto the mattress and any bedding that may be on the bed.  If you have had this issue, how did you resolve it? Thank you
I asked the same question a few weeks ago.  The responses I got suggested putting on a cover over the hatch.  I have ordered one from Lazy Daze.  It apparently has snaps that are easy to install.