Skip to main content
Topic: Alcoa Wheels for 26.5 RBWB (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Alcoa Wheels for 26.5 RBWB
Yahoo Message Number: 99238
I live in the Midwest Quad Cities area.  The local Alcoa wheel dealer quoted me about $250 each for replacement wheels for "Deja Blue", my Lazydaze.  I remember seeing the price sometime back in this list as about $180 each.
Does $250 each sound correct to folks on this list that would know?  I am going to replace my tires this spring as they will be 4+ years old when I bring it out of winter storage and was thinking of upgrading the wheels while I was at it.
Or, is there an online tire dealer that I should be dealing with for both the Alcoa wheels and new tires?   All advice is welcomed.

Deja Blue's Driver Gary Gillham

Re: Alcoa Wheels for 26.5 RBWB
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99242
I live in the Midwest Quad Cities area.  The local Alcoa wheel dealer quoted me about $250 each for replacement wheels for "Deja Blue", my Lazydaze.
Deja Blue's Driver Gary Gillham
From experience with my own Dodge dully and from what happened to another LD owner on a trip to Baja, Mexico last year, be careful with aluminum wheels and the inside steel wheel.  Seems that dissimilar metals have a habit of almost welding themselves together over time due to corrosion and heat. The aluminum wheel needs to be removed on a regular basis to insure that they can be easily removed when you need to. There is also a teflon disk that can be put between the wheels and I have heard that "antiseaze" grease also works well to put a barrier between the steel and aluminum wheels.

Larry in South Texas
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 99255
From experience with my own Dodge dully and from what happened to another LD owner on a trip to Baja, Mexico last year, be careful with aluminum wheels and the inside steel wheel.
That was me in Baja.  Yo Larry!

I told what happened to me in msg 90212 on 9mar08.
 "... the poor tire guy in San Ignacio had to work himself halfway to misery when he fixed my inner dually puncture."

Larry got to watch.

After I got home I followed up, hoping this wouldn't happen again.
Antiseize grease is the right medicine, but maybe it's not the two wheels sticking together that caused the trouble.
 (I thought I told this story here, but maybe not.  Anyway here's the story the way I told it a month later ...)
 I think I figured out the Aluminum-wheel-sticking story that started in San Ignacio.  It turns out not to be aluminum at all (maybe).
 The story til now: flat inner rear that gave the tire shop guy a very hard time to disassemble.  Required hammering on a tire iron to separate the duals, and I thought the aluminum and steel had galled together.
 I got new Michelins on all the wheels last week, and I discussed the sticking Aluminum dually with the tire guys.  Tito at Big O is sure the binding was not between the two metals on the flats of the duals.
 Instead it's the hub binding on the wheel center hole.  Wheels - both steel and aluminum - can stick pretty tight to the rear hub.  "It seems to be mostly a Ford thing" says Tito.

A little corrosion on the hub binds things together, he says. Three years without disassembly contributes.  I think that means the hub contour is too cylindrical - we would like a slightly tapered hub design.
 The reason I say "maybe not Al" is - it seems possible that the Alcoa wheel is a tighter fit than Ford's steel.  Maybe we could measure the holes, but mine are not easily accessible ;-).  I'm wearing a thin coat of antiseize and hoping for the best.

John

Question about using the coach battery to charge/jump the chassis ba
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 99256
Hello all,
 Being very new to all this I want to check on something before I screw something up.
 If for whatever reason (lights on, etc.) my chassis battery is drained so it will not turn the starter motor can I just "jump start" it from the charged coach battery with a pair of jumper cables?
 It seems that this would work but wanted to check with those who have done this awhile.

Going into the Barstow this weekend and over-thinking everything!

David 1983 22' RL "Suzie III"

Re: Question about using the coach battery to charge/jump the chassi
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 99258
If for whatever reason (lights on, etc.) my chassis battery is
drained so it

will not turn the starter motor can I just "jump start" it from the charged coach battery with a pair of jumper cables?
David,

Yes, it would work.  On LD (other brands as well) both batteries' negative (-) posts are connected to the cab chassis.  So you only need to connect the positive (+) posts together.

Sam

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 99259
Am I correct in assuming from this exchange that earlier LD's did not have the "Battery Boost" switch?  How about more recent units?

Rick

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 99260
Am I correct in assuming from this exchange that earlier LD's did not have the "Battery Boost" switch?  How about more recent units?"
 As far as I know, the factory has never provided a switch to link the coach and starting batteries--too bad, because it's a useful feature.
However, you can jump-start the engine from the coach batteries if you have long enough cables; I did it a number of times with my 1985 LD.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 99261
From experience with my own Dodge dully and from what happened to another LD owner on a trip to Baja, Mexico last year, be careful with aluminum wheels and the inside steel wheel.

That was me in Baja.  Yo Larry!

John
 Hey John, of course you were the "other LD in Baja", glad you chimed in with your update. What a start to a day that experience was!  That poor guy at the tire shop earned his money that day.  I know in the case of my last truck, a Dodge dully, with steel inner wheels and an aftermarket outside aluminum wheel, that the cause of the problem was corrosion and heat dissipation differences between the two different metals.  Antiseize was the cure for me.
 Hope you guys are doing well. How was your summer in the roundhouse in Golden?  Did you see that Jock and Susan (Airstream) were tail gunners for Baja and Back last month?  I guess they and a few others liked that place a lot more than I did.
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 99268
Gary,

We have Alcoas on our LD. I got them from Southwest Wheel
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 99283
However, you can jump-start the engine from the coach batteries if you have long enough cables; I did it a number of times with my 1985 LD.
Those with newer coaches probably don't realize older '80's vintage Chevy LD's had coach and chassis batteries on opposite sides of the engine compartment. Since relocating the coach battery, I've had to retire my 5' jumper set.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 99298
Just curious about the engine battery jumpstart from coach batteries with battery cable, do you need to have the generator on at the same time? Thanks, David

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 99302
"Just curious about the engine battery jumpstart from coach batteries with battery cable, do you need to have the generator on at the same time?"

I had no generator in the rig I did this with (a 1985 LD), and it worked fine. In a modern LD, running the generator when jump-starting from the coach batteries wouldn't hurt... but it would probably make little practical difference, since the converter acts as a bottleneck--it doesn't supply much juice to the batteries, compared to the amount used in starting the engine.

Bear in mind that in all LDs built since 1985, the coach batteries have about twice the capacity of the starting battery, so they pack plenty of oomph. Granted, they're not optimized for starting... but in a pinch, they'll do a very good job of cranking that engine!

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"