Skip to main content
Topic: Re Air ambulance insurance (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Re Air ambulance insurance
Yahoo Message Number: 99167
In April 2006 I was transferred from Longview WA. to Harborview hospital Seattle WA by helicopter for emergency care. (no room at longview or Oregon hospital) the helicopter had pilot and two nurses.
Bill was $14,500. At first the insurance said I could have taken a taxicab. Wife sent them a letter stating what was going on and they paid all of it.
I think it was just part of insurance we had not a special Air ambulance. But that was $ amount back in 2006 and sure its not cheaper ride now if that is what you are talking about.

Lynn Francis

Re: Re Air ambulance insurance
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 99171
. (no room at longview or Oregon

hospital)
A statement about medical insurance policies that is generally true is that your policy will pay to transport you to the nearest "medically capable" facility. I.e. If you have a heart attack in a rural community and they do not have the facilities, or physicians, to deal with coronary problems, you insurance company will pay to transport you to a hospital that is properly equipped & staffed.
After that, if you desire to change hospitals, say to one in your hometown, that trip is on your nickle.
A few years ago I flew my wife from Cheyenne, WY to our home in Florida on a specially equipped jet staffed by pilot/co-pilot and two flight nurses. $18,000 cash up front. No out of state checks please.

Ed