Skip to main content
Topic: Propane Leak (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Propane Leak
Yahoo Message Number: 98940
I smell a slight wiff of propane with the tank valve open when the rig has sat for a bit.  It's a 92 and assuming the propane fittings and hoses are original and obviously are now quite old.  Is it best to just replace and start with new hoses and fittings or track the leak down and just repair that?  Is this a doable DIY project?

Thanks, Jerry
1992 MB

Re: Propane Leak
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 98941
I smell a slight wiff of propane with the tank valve open when the rig has sat for a bit.  It's a 92 and assuming the propane fittings and hoses are original and obviously are now quite old.  Is it best to just replace and start with new hoses and fittings or track the leak down and just repair that?  Is this a doable DIY project?
Can you localize where you smell the propane?  Most, if not all, of the propane system should be copper tubing with compression fittings.
I'd start by using a soapy solution (usually available in hardware stores or make your own) and apply liberally to all the compression fitings, that you can get access to, and look for bubbling.  Also check the stem on the propane tank valve.  The best thing to do would be to make or find someone with a manometer (http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html).  This will verify if your regulator is adjusted properly and can find minor leaks.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 98945
wrote: Is it best to just replace and start with new hoses and fittings or track the leak down and just repair that?  Is this a doable DIY project?

--- IMO, *no* propane-related "project" is a DIY undertaking; the consequences of trying to diagnose and repair a propane leak when one doesn't know *exactly* what one is doing could be disastrous. I believe that having an LPG-knowledgeable and experienced tech check out the system and diagnose/repair the leak is the only way to go. YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 98950
I smell a slight wiff of propane with the tank valve open when the
If the smell is inside the coach, and you have an oven with an 'off' and 'pilot off' settings on the knob, make sure it is at the latter position. If this is not the issue, then turn off at the tank until the smell clears, then turn on and use your nose to localize the source. Once close, you can use a soapy solution brushed onto fittings, valves, etc., until you see bubbles. The decide if you can fix yourself or not.
 Leave plenty of ventilation going the whole time - when you get close, it will still be easy to find.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 98963
Joan,
 I respect your opinion . . . and would not suggest someone undertake a repair they didn't feel comfortable with. However, with even a modicum of aptitude and safety mindedness, checking or locating a propane leak is not at all difficult or dangerous. Depending on where the leak is, the fix can be quick, easy, and cheap (i.e. free).
 Others have posted how to go about this, I'll add. Be sure to first discharge any static build-up by touching metal on the motorhome in an area removed from the suspected leak. This is especially important if the propane smell is very strong. If it is strong, then turn off the main tank valve and let the smell subside and any propane build up dissipate before proceeding.
 When ready to test, spray the suspected connections and fittings with soap solution and then turn the main tank valve back on if it was previously turned off.
 A little hand dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle filled with water does a great job and covers a lot of area. I use a small hypodermic needle and syringe for inside where I don't want soap solution all over. A paint brush or squirt gun would work too.
 When you find the leak, if it's at a fitting, try tightening the fitting to see if that fixes it. Don't go overboard in tightening these fittings, turn just enough to stop the leak and then only a little more. If the leak is at an unsupported fitting, they use two wrenches, one on the nut and one holding the fitting, so that when tightening, you are not twisting the line or applying undue force to an appliance.
 If the leak cannot be stopped by tightening, then you may have to get serious and take things apart to find out why. If you don't have the experience with flare fittings or compression fittings and copper tubing, then you may then want to seek more experienced help.

bumper Yonder Minden NV
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer