Skip to main content
Topic: Two Inch Receiver Hitch (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Two Inch Receiver Hitch
Yahoo Message Number: 98713
I just purchased a bicycle rack and attempted to slide the rack's receiver tube into my 2002's hitch receiver, and low and behold it would not fit.
 The inside diameter of the hitch is 2 inches with rounded corners.  The outside diameter of the rack tube is 2 inches with square corners. Both shape and size of the two prevented a fit.
 The only solution was to install a newly designed receiver hitch which measures 2 and one eight inch inside dimension.
 Spillar's Hitch in Austin, TX indicated that the earlier model hitch design has changed by eliminating the rounded interior collar and adding an eight of an inch ID.

Hope this might eliminate a $urpri$e for someone.

Malcolm Blue02MB/2009Hitch
2002 Mid Bath

Re: Two Inch Receiver Hitch
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 98717
"I just purchased a bicycle rack and attempted to slide the rack's receiver tube into my 2002's hitch receiver, and low and behold it would not fit."
"The outside diameter of the rack tube is 2 inches with square corners."

Malcolm

Malcolm
 NO, that is not the 'only' solution! If you have access to a grinder, belt sander or even a rasp, just knock those "square corners" off until the 'tube' slips into the hitch receiver.

Guess how I know about that trick???

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 98719
NO, that is not the 'only' solution! If you have access to a grinder, belt sander or even a rasp, just knock those "square corners" off until the 'tube' slips into the hitch receiver.

Guess how I know about that trick???
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Steve, We did that, to the point that neither I nor the installer were comfortable with taking any more off.  I wish there had been an easy way to ream out the hitch.

Malcolm
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 98724
Steve,

We did that, to the point that neither I nor the installer were comfortable with taking any more off.  I wish there had been an easy way to ream out the hitch.

Malcolm
Malcolm
 I pondered removing material from inside also. I went after it with a triangular file to no avail. Not only was it difficult but I didn't want to spend eternity doing it. That's when I switched to the hitch shank.

Admittedly the material is somewhat thin, at least on my bike carrier. But, I took the corners off only enough to do the job. I even wirebrushed the paint off and then used a coating of lithium grease. Yes, it's a tight fit but it works good for me. YMMV.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 98726
Steve S. & all,
 I've been following this thread with interest. I just purchased a Thule receiver hitch rack. I goofed and purchased the "add 2 bikes" rack that is intended to fit on their 2 bike rack for a total of 4 bike!
 I modified the rack and then temporarily put it on the motorhome to see how my driveway clearance would be as there's a dip where the driveway meets the road and I have to back out. There way 2" clearance with no water on board - - not enough to be comfortable.
 I took the Thule supplied 2" tube to the hangar where all my tools live. Cut a 45 degree notch in the tube to bend it up at a 45 degree angle as it leaves the hitch. Then a 40 degree angle notch to bend it almost horizontal again (the almost to correct for a slight downward angle of the LD installed hitch on my '05 MB. Welded up the notches and repainted the tube.
 Then I added a straight section to accept the Thule bike rails. These are really nice quality, secure the bikes quickly and with no contact with the bike frame. I gained 7 inches of additional ground clearance above the level of the hitch. No chance of it dragging now (g). Also the top of the bikes are even with the bottom of the rear window, so you can just see that all is well.
 Oh, and I had no problem fitting the 2" square corner tubes into my factory receiver hitch. Had I experienced any difficulty, I would grind down the corners of the hitch tube to whatever it took, even if this split the edges of the tube. Then simply weld the corners of the tube.

all the best,

bumper Yonder Minden NV
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 98728
I just purchased a bicycle rack and attempted to slide the rack's receiver tube into my 2002's hitch receiver, and low and behold it would not fit.

The inside diameter of the hitch is 2 inches with rounded corners.
I can't help but wonder whether the factory got a bad lot of 2" hitch receivers in 2002.  Our '02 30'TB also came with a hitch that wouldn't accept the standard 2" tow bar.  We found that out a couple of months after picking up the LD at the factory, when we needed to tow a U-Haul to CO from TX.  We ended up having a new heavy-duty frame-mounted hitch installed instead of the original. We have had no problems since.

Anyone else with an '02 with a bad 2" hitch receiver?

Sharon N.

Crossville, TN