Skip to main content
Topic: Towing Modifications for 1992 26.5 MB (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Towing Modifications for 1992 26.5 MB
Yahoo Message Number: 98678
I think I may have made a big mistake but I'm wondering if someone in the group can help.  I found a 1992 MB before Thanksgiving that I love.  It's in immaculate condition and made the trip from Sacramento to Seattle with no problems.
 I bought it in part to tow my race car to the track and stay there vs. getting a hotel.
 The rub is the hitch guy is telling me he can't put a heavy duty hitch on because the frame isn't built to take one.  I really didn't research that part when I tripped over the Laze Daze brand and started to try and find one.

Has anyone seen one modified or had it done?  I love the coach and don't want to sell it but it doesn't do me much good if I can't make it tow 5,000 or so lbs.

Thanks, Jerry
1992 MB

Re: Towing Modifications for 1992 26.5 MB
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 98694
wrote: it's a 92 built on a 91 E350 chassis.
--- Jerry, I hope that someone with the same chassis can answer you, but I have a couple of comments...

You might check the "plate" on the door jamb; this should state the GCVWR of the 1991 E-350. The *GVWR* is 11,500 pounds, but I don't know how much you can *safely* tow, control, and stop (with the correct hitch/tow set up)without exceeding the GCVWR.

Have you weighed the rig as it's loaded and ready for the road? Subtract this figure from the GCVWR to get an idea of what you can tow.
(And, *if* you're already over the GVWR when the rig itself is road- ready, I would think you'd certainly be over the max if also towing 5000 pounds.)  Accurate weight numbers/capacities are the first things to get; hope this works out for you.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 98695
Talked with someone at Lazy Daze today.  He thought it was possible to modify the frame to install a heavy duty hitch setup keeping
1992 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 98700
The rub is the hitch guy is telling me he can't put a heavy duty hitch on because the frame isn't built to take one. > Has anyone seen one modified or had it done?  I love the coach and don't want to sell it but it doesn't do me much good if I can't
make it

tow 5,000 or so lbs.

Thanks, Jerry
Jerry, I have an '06, not a '92, so can't comment on the differences in the frame, but when I had a rack installed on the rear for my scooter, they also upgraded the tow hitch to a 10.000 lb capacity.
The whole thing required welding extensions onto the vehicle's frame.  The extensions that LD uses to support the bumper (and the factory-installed hitch) aren't strong enough for the higher towing capacities.
-- Jon ('06 23TK "Albatross")
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 98702
Quote from: jhynesrockmtn"

"I really love this *[thing]* and..."

Ohhhh the shame, to refer to a beautiful Lazy Daze motor home as a mere "THING"!!!

It makes the hair on the back of my neck positively bristle.
 But as long as you "love" it I'd hope the sweet 'thing' will be kind to you and get you and the toad where ever it is you wish to go.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 98705
I think I may have made a big mistake but I'm wondering if someone in the group can help.  I found a 1992 MB before Thanksgiving that I love.  It's in immaculate condition and made the trip from Sacramento to Seattle with no problems.

I bought it in part to tow my race car to the track and stay there
vs.

getting a hotel.

The rub is the hitch guy is telling me he can't put a heavy duty hitch on because the frame isn't built to take one.  I really didn't research that part when I tripped over the Laze Daze brand and started to try and find one.

Has anyone seen one modified or had it done?  I love the coach and don't want to sell it but it doesn't do me much good if I can't
make it

tow 5,000 or so lbs.

Thanks, Jerry
Jerry, Check around for a different hitch guy.  I have a '94 mid bath and had the hitch rebuilt so I could tow my boat.  My boat and trailer weigh just about 5000lbs.  My hitch guy seemed a little more concerned about the tongue weight than he did about the total weight.  That being said he was able to add extra pieces to the frame to beef it up and it has handled my towing needs just fine.
Maybe look for someone in your area who advertises hitches for RVs.
Good luck.
Skip

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 98706
I am going to have to agree with Joan here..  you need to get the rig weighed.  Yes..  we can modify any thing to hitch up and be "beefy" but if you are over the limits of the GCVWR, you are asking for trouble.  I get the impression that you are going to just find a hitch guy that will make it work for you.  I hope you take the advise from others and at least get the LD weighed.  Since you may be driving around some of us, our lives depend on it too.  I hope it works out for you, what ever way you choose.
 I know a guy who has a 40' toyhauler and a 2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 w/ the cummins engine.  He claims to be 7k over his GCVWR.  He has worn out 2 turbos, 1 exhaust brake, 2 heads and 1 injection pump, 2 manual tranny's just to mention a few

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 98707
I said this in the LD Enhancements group, but it bears repeating here for those who don't belong to that group:
 Your coach has a maximum Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 11,500 pounds. Your trailer weighs 5,000 pounds. Therefore your coach's Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) must be less than 16,500 pounds, *regardless of what kind of hitch you use.*
 The rig's GCWR is printed on the cab door-jamb weight ratings sticker, or you can call the factory and ask them.

I hope things work out for you!

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 98709
"I get the impression that you are going to just find a hitch guy that will make it work for you."

I appreciate all of the advice given and am following up on it today.  Ramon, I'm not sure what gives you "impression" I am going to short cut this whole process and just make it work for me and do something unsafe.  You don't know me or how I conduct myself and I really don't appreciate the insinuation.  If that was my intent do you really think I'd be spending all this time trying to get advice on how to proceed?

Thanks to everyone else for all of your help.
1992 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 98716
Sorry Jerry if I offended you.  I guess you and I go about things differently, meaning I would tend check my weights first.  I based my comments on seeing your questions on a few forums and advice from some to weigh the rig and no response that you were going to actually do it.  It just seemed like you were on a different path.  It appears you needed answers quickly when no one was responding on a heavily trafficed group.
 You did mentioned that maybe someone at the LD factory or a shop said it could be done if with

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 98721
Jerry, So right now you don't have access to the RV to look?  Sometimes they put the stickers in the kitchen cabinets but since you talked to a factory guy, it should be where he says.   It's cool that you have all the original manuals.  The manuals of my 5th wheel have the same weight stickers that is in the kitchen cabinet, so hopefully yours will have the numbers there as well.  Have you checed the links and databases here to see if anyone has posted a list of verios year model wieht ratings?  Sometimes people put some neat statistics like that on this forum.  If I get a chance later tonight, I'll have a look.

Ramon

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 98730
Ok Jerry..  did some hunting tonight on the net and did not come up with much on past GCVWR or GCWR as LD calls it.  What I did find is a from a thing called the "Wayback Machine" from archive.org. If you have never used this, it's pretty cool.
 I went to LD's site as far as I could go back that had spec data and that was Feb. of 2000. The ll,500 GVWR then could handle a 18500 GCWR so 7k pounds.  This was on the 23.5 footers though.  Of coarse this depends on what LD puts

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 98734
Ramon,

Thanks for the info.  I'll try and nail it down further today by either calling the factory and/or hunting around the coach.  I have all of the info from the previous owner of this coach and I mean all of it down to the checkout documentation signed by the original owner, owners manual, all repair receipts, all manuals for the components, etc.  It's quite remarkable what was kept.  The owners manual lists a ton of info on weights and limits but the GCWR is not
1992 MB

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 98736
I don't remember exactly but I think the combined carrying  was only 14500 on the old E-350.  Which only gives you about 3000 to tow depending on how the coach is loaded.  Sorry to tell you but you didn't pick a powerhouse year for towing that much weight.  That was always an issue back

A gentle reminder
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 98737
This group is usually pretty good about not re-posting (riposting? ;-) larger amounts of text from older posts, but lately things have been getting out of hand. One recent post contained material that we'd already read *seven times*! So it's time to remind the assembled company that not all of us are on broadband networks, and few of us really want to plow through hundreds of lines of re-re-re-repeated text.

I know that Yahoo and many email programs automatically include the entire text of the message you're replying to, but it only takes two keystrokes (control- or command-A and delete) to get rid of it. It's fine to quote a phrase or a sentence just to show what you're referring to, but please don't repeat the whole message! Like cholesterol, such posts clog up the arteries of communication. ;-)

Andy Baird

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 98763
I weighed the coach today, it was 10,680 with half a tank of gas and half a tank of water.  I'm going to weigh my trailer next week.
 I've talked to the factory folks and these older coaches didn't have a GCWR rating from the factory.  That's why I can't find it
1992 MB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 98766
Jerry, Kind of surprised the factory had no info for you.  I take this to mean that this # was not on the tag in the wardrobe?  I guess since these were designed to be driven everywhere with no tow car (Toad) needed, maybe they didn't rate them in the early 90's like they say.
At least you have a baseline now.  If you go by Tim Pease's info about 14,500 on the older LD's, that leaves you about 4k pounds.
 I guess my question for the factory would be, did they put hitches or bumper hitches on them in 92. I think they at least put the bumper hitches on.  If so, how did they rate them.  Typically bumper hitches say limits, 350 lb. tongue and 3500lb. pull.....500/5000 lbs. etc.
This is what the bumper hitch itself is rated for but not necessarily what the entire vehicle can pull as you are finding out.  This sure is a tough one and I hope you get more solid answers as you proceed.

Lets hope your trailer is on the light side.  BTW, how long is the trailer?  Enclosed, open?  Maybe you can get a lighter trailer and/or carry less gear?  Is the race car very heavy?

Ramon

Re: Towing Modifications for 1992 26.5 MB & "A Gentle Reminder"
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 98769
Ramon, Thanks, Jerry
And then you proceeded to send your message with all of Ramon's earlier message. Did you read Andy Baird's "A Gentle Reminder" post which is message #98737?

I've been wrong before, but I *think* you and your new best buddy *might* possibly been among the intended audience.

Steve K. (THANK YOU ANDY!!!!)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 98770
I've talked to the factory folks and these older coaches didn't have  a GCWR rating from the factory.  That's why I can't find it in the documents I have.
Jerry
Jerry,
 I don't think the Lazy Daze factory is involved in determining the GCWR of coaches; that is the responsility of the chassis manufacturer. I'm fairly certain that there is GVW info attached to the chassis by the truck manufacturer, usually on the driver's door jamb. I'm not sure if the GVWR is on there or not. I am pretty sure it would be in the owner's manual from Ford or Chevy (Sorry, I am not sure which chassis you have).
 If you can't find that info on any of your documents, I know you can find it in a factory shop manual. You should be able to find the shop manual at a public library.

Good luck, Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 98771
I know this has been mentioned before, so forgive me for repeating, but... what does the sticker on the cab's driver's-side door jamb say? In every Lazy Daze I've seen, including 20-year-old models, that sticker--applied by the chassis maker, not Lazy Daze--has stated the GCWR. Have you checked it?

Andy Baird

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 98772
wrote:

I know this has been mentioned before, so forgive me for repeating, but... what does the sticker on the cab's driver's-side door jamb say? --- Yep; message #98694:
 "You might check the "plate" on the door jamb; this should state the GCVWR of the 1991 E-350. The *GVWR* is 11,500 pounds, but I don't know how much you can *safely* tow, control, and stop (with the correct hitch/tow set up)without exceeding the GCVWR."

Joan
2003 TK has a new home