Skip to main content
Topic: vinyl floor and portable propane stove/grill (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
vinyl floor and portable propane stove/grill
Yahoo Message Number: 98499
Hi, group, can anyone comment on materials to use for vinyl-type flooring (brands, type of material, squares or sheet, etc.). Also, any experiences with different types of small propane grills/stoves? What happens to the grease/oils on these grills? A catch tray?

BTW, gotta say I like that Kodiak- someone tell me I can order a 27 foot  midbath Kodiak with 4WD!

Regards, Terry Settergren

Q!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 98511
My opinion would be if you plan on doing the flooring yourself I would use tile.  If you prefer sheet linoleum I would have professional do it.
 I think the most popular gas grill out there is the Weber Baby Q 100.
They also make the same style and size

Re: Q!
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 98512
"My opinion would be if you plan on doing the flooring yourself I would use tile. If you prefer sheet linoleum I would have professional do it."
 Sheet flooring is not all that difficult as long as you take your time to cut an accurate template of the floor area. Use heavy craft-paper and masking tape to construct the template.
After the template is made, tape it to the new sheet flooring and use a sharp utility knife to cut it..
Finishing the edge of the floor will be the same using sheet or tile.

I would prefer to use sheet flooring because it stays cleaner, not having the space between tiles. YMMV

Larry Wishing LD would offer a solid flooring option.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: vinyl floor
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 98518
Hi, group, can anyone comment on materials to use for vinyl-type flooring (brands, type of material, squares or sheet, etc.)
Hi Terry, We pulled out all the existing flooring on our 2004 30' TB last year and installed vinyl tiles throughout.  I have some details and a couple of photos on our blog:
 http://chrisandfrank.blogspot.com/2008/01/remodeling-rv-jan-2008.html

After looking at several options for solid flooring (Pergo, hardwood planks, cork, bamboo, sheet vinyl and vinyl tiles), we opted for vinyl tile.  Not only is it the lightest weight option (we have to watch our rig's weight) it was also the easiest to install and the least expensive.

We used Cryntel 12", peel-and-stick, vinyl tile in the Italia Travertine color and found them at Lowe's.  Here is Lowe's web page for more details: http://tinyurl.com/77tfex

We looked at sheet vinyl too because we didn't really want seams, but we didn't want to try doing the installation ourselves.  With all the curves, angles, notches, etc. on the walls, it's a pretty complicated installation.  Plus, we didn't want to have to add baseboards which would pretty much be a given with sheet vinyl since the precision required to fit it exactly to the wall would be nearly impossible.
 The installation was not difficult, but it took some time.  Pulling up the carpet was easy, but extracting all the hundreds of staples that were left behind was tedious.  The old sheet vinyl came up using a blow dryer (for heat to soften the glue) and a pry bar.  After some prep work on the sub-floor, the new "whole" tiles went down quickly and easily.  Installing the edge pieces was slow work since we wanted to fit them precisely to the wall to eliminate gaps and possible shifting.  That part was a bit tricky and I'll be happy to send more details if you decide to go with tiles.
 It's been a year since we did the installation and we are very happy with new flooring.  The tiles have been through some pretty extreme heat and cold situations as well as a year of travels and daily use.
They have held up well and have had very little shifting.  It still looks new and cleaning is a breeze.  The only downside is that it is cold on the feet, but we wear slippers and have a few throw rugs.
Bottom line - I would do it again and wish I had done it sooner.

Send us an email if you want more details: chrisandfrank "at" mac.com

Chris W.
2004 30'TB

chrisandfrank.blogspot.com

Re: Q! ; sheet vinyl template
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 98557
hmmm, I wonder if it would work to use the old carpet as the template for cutting the vinyl?

Regards, Terry S

Re: Q! ; sheet vinyl template
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 98558
"hmmm, I wonder if it would work to use the old carpet as the template for cutting the vinyl?

Terry S

Carpet stretches too much to be of use
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze