Skip to main content
Topic: Storing Gas (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Storing Gas
Yahoo Message Number: 98434
I have heard that gas goes "bad" when not used.
With gas prices climbing back up again ....  I was wondering if I fill up my gas tank while my rig is being stored all winter, if I should use a gas stabilizer?   I am looking at storing my rig for four mos.  If I don't use a stabilizer, am I going to "varnish" up the gas?

Re: Storing Gas
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 98436
It's best to keep gas tanks stored full, if for no other reason than this helps keep condensation within the tank to a minimum. A full tank is also much less frustrating to gas thieves, as an empty tank impacts negatively on their productivity, efficiency and risks hurting their feelings.

Probably best to add Sta-Bil.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 98439
wrote: A full tank is also much less frustrating to gas thieves, as an empty tank impacts negatively on their productivity, efficiency and risks hurting their feelings.
---

[:D]

Joan

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 98441
I have heard that gas goes "bad" when not used.
With gas prices climbing back up again ....  I was wondering if I fill up my gas tank while my rig is being stored all winter, if I should use a gas stabilizer?
I always do that if gas is stored 3 or 4 months.  I'd run some through the generator as well.

I've never had any fuel issue, so *something* is working for me.

John

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 98500
On Jan 11, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Barry Barnes wrote:

"bdelboca" (? Names are nice.),

I store our LD for about 4 months every summer in the Texas heat (inside a metal storage shed).  I originally added gas stabelizer,

o o o
Welcome back from that freighter trip, Barry!  An LD voyage on the sea, so to speak.  Did it go well?
 For others, Barry provided me and Brenda with the first ride in an LD during the Northeast GTG on Maryland's East Shore in '04.  Our trip to the Mothership to order an LD followed shortly after.

Alex Rutchka
'05 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 98523
Alex,
 Thanks for the welcome back.  Also thanks for reminding me of that great NE get-together in 2004.
 With respect to the freighter trip, it was interesting (as in the old Chinese curse).  The ship had various mechanical (crane) problems and scheduling problems which caused our 3-month trip to last 4 months.  The bright side was that on a cost/day basis, it got cheaper and cheaper.
 We saw lots of non-tourist cities in the far east countries that we would never have seen any other way.  We came through the Suez Canal and near to Somalia at a time when the crew was to start getting danger pay for sailing there.  Would we turn around and do it again?  No.  (At least not so long of a trip,.) Are we glad we did it?  Yes.

Barry Where are we?  http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=122