Skip to main content
Topic: 12 VDC 19" TV /DVD Player Combo (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
12 VDC 19" TV /DVD Player Combo
Yahoo Message Number: 98279
I have a 2004 26.5' MB {Deja Blue} and I want to install a 19" TV/DVD combo where the current factory TV install is located. I did a google search and the "12-volt Travel Online Truck Stop" company is offering the Skyworth 19" 12 VDC TV/DVD combo for about $430.00 including shipping.
 My questions are: (1) Has anyone done business with the 12-volt Travel Online Truck Stop company? (2) Does this community know anything about the Skyworth 12 VDC 19" TV/DVD combo? (3) Are there other better choices that I am not aware of?

Deja Blue's Driver Gary G

Re: 12 VDC 19" TV /DVD Player Combo
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 98280
the Skyworth 12 VDC 19" TV/DVD combo? (3) Are there other better choices that I am not aware of?
The wxga resolution and 300:1 contrast ratio tells me this is an adapted PC monitor that is unlikely to be optimized for HDTV use. You may find problems with off-center viewing, etc, and other issues related to an older technology. As for the company, never heard of them, so unless you can find it in a store to preview, I would avoid sight-unseen purchase. And, who knows about the DVD player.

An inverter will reduce efficiency a tad, but provide you with an enormous choice of quality brand-name equipment that is heavily reviewed and available currently at enormous discounts. If you insist on 12V, my advice is to keep looking. Good LCD TVs now sport 3000:1 min contrast ration, and native resolutions should be either 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. Some Panasonic sets have 170 degree viewing angles.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 98285
(1) Has anyone done business with the 12-volt Travel Online Truck Stop company? (2) Does this community know anything about

the Skyworth 12 VDC 19" TV/DVD combo? (3) Are there other better choices that I am not aware of?
Gary: I just purchased a 12V 15.6" Skyworth TV/DVD Combo from RoadTrucker and I was very pleased with their service. The TV was at my door in a couple of days, and while I cannot say anything about the TV's durability, the picture quality is very good. It fits into the cabinet on my 2003 MB with about 1" sticking out. I used their Barkan 20" Fold, Rotate , Swivel & Tilt mount to allow improved viewing angles. The company even called me at home in the evening to tell me that the mount would arrive in a seperate shipment. I looked a a lot of 12V TV's and felt that it was worth a try, as I wanted to avoid using my inverter.
 Jensen and Audiovox also make 12V TV's, but they are more expensive.

Lon in Northern CA 2003 Tan MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 98287

Gary, I found this recently and decided to upgrade to a set with an ATSC tuner as I have been dissatisfied with my present setup. It won't be delivered until the first of next week but I'll report on the quality of the set and service once received.
 Please note the coupon code in the middle of the page to save $30. If you ask me, $297 for a 19" TV/DVD combo that is only 19" wide (WILL FIT IN THE TV AREA OF 04 RK!) is worth rolling the dice as to quality.
 http://www.bundlecity.com/Items/nx-556%20-%202?&caSKU=nx-556%20-%202&caTitle=19%20Inch%20Naxa%20AC/DC%20Widescreen%201080i%20HD%20LCD%20TV%20with%20DVD%20Player%20%26%20ATSC%20Digital%20Tuner%20NX-556

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 98289

Gary, I found this Naxa NX-545 20-inch Widescreen LCD TV from
Overstock.com Sanyo 19" Wide-Screen LCD HDTV, Digital Tuner. Our Price: $239.99 ...
Supersonic AC/DC Digital 20-inch LCD TV/ DVD Combo. Our Price: $364.99 ...
www.overstock.com/Electronics/Naxa-NX-545-20-inch-Widescreen-LCD-TV/3178011/product.html Try these folks.
Jim

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 98299
the Skyworth 12 VDC 19" TV/DVD combo? (3) Are there other better

choices that I am not aware of?

Gary:  I'll echo other replies.  For our rig, we bought a Toshiba 19" (18.5" width) 1080p DVD/TV combo for about $300.  I've since seen a similar Panasonic for about $250.  The picture is perfect.  We use this with our small 400w inverter and are happy campers for a LOT less money than you are proposing.  We bring the set home with us between trips and use it there.  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 98408

Gary, I found this recently and decided to upgrade to a set with an ATSC tuner as I have been dissatisfied with my present setup. It won't be delivered until the first of next week but I'll report on the quality of the set and service once received.
 Please note the coupon code in the middle of the page to save $30. If you ask me, $297 for a 19" TV/DVD combo that is only 19" wide (WILL FIT IN THE TV AREA OF 04 RK!) is worth rolling the dice as to quality.
http://www.bundlecity.com/Items/nx-556%20-%202?&caSKU=nx-556%20-%202&caTitle=19%20Inch%20Naxa%20AC/DC%20Widescreen%201080i%20HD%20LCD%20TV%20with%20DVD%20Player%20%26%20ATSC%20Digital%20Tuner%20NX-556

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK

This TV is rather mediocre, you can probably do better.
 Pluses = 1) fits in the 04 "Steve's articulating arm" configuration - as far as I know, the RK has the same TV area dimensions as the MB (Sorry Ross, I tried to e-mail you but kept getting a "this e-mail box is over-quota" message).
2) ATSC tuner. The atec converter I was using was not giving me the
 picture I wanted (more to do with the Skyworth set probably) and there was a hum in the audio.
 Minuses = 1) Somewhat "tinny" audio although it has separate bass and treble controls 2) mediocre picture but it IS high def on a high def TV = I'm just spoiled by the Samsung with 10,000:1 contrast ratio we recently bought. This 500:1 is definitely noticeably lesser.
 We aren't big TV people while we camp since we're weekenders so this set is fine for our needs. If you are fulltiming or spending longer times in your rig, I would DEFINITELY upgrade to a better set.

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK
Dave

2017 TK

Re: 12 VDC 19" TV /DVD Player Combo - NAXA HDTV/DVD combo revisite
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 98510

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK

This TV is rather mediocre, you can probably do better.
 Pluses = 1) fits in the 04 "Steve's articulating arm" configuration - as far as I know, the RK has the same TV area dimensions as the MB (Sorry Ross, I tried to e-mail you but kept getting a "this e-mail box is over-quota" message).
2) ATSC tuner. The atec converter I was using was not giving me the
 picture I wanted (more to do with the Skyworth set probably) and there was a hum in the audio.
 Minuses = 1) Somewhat "tinny" audio although it has separate bass and treble controls 2) mediocre picture but it IS high def on a high def TV = I'm just spoiled by the Samsung with 10,000:1 contrast ratio we recently bought. This 500:1 is definitely noticeably lesser.
 We aren't big TV people while we camp since we're weekenders so this set is fine for our needs. If you are fulltiming or spending longer times in your rig, I would DEFINITELY upgrade to a better set.

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK

I must change my report on this TV. When I ran it through my cable
system at home, the picture was pretty ordinary. Placing it in Ruby
with the direct connection to the antenna, the picture is actually
very good. The audio is still average but not bad.
 Bottom line, this is a pretty good TV if you want a 19" in the 15" TV space of the "articulating arm" vintage LD's and it has the DVD player built right in. Sweet.

Dave

Ruby the red 04 RK
Dave

2017 TK

Re: 12 VDC 19" TV /DVD Player Combo - NAXA HDTV/DVD combo revisite
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 98520
I must change my report on this TV. When I ran it through my cable system at home, the picture was pretty ordinary. Placing it in Ruby with the direct connection to the antenna, the picture is actually very good. The audio is still average but not bad.
My guess is you have an analog cable box, or your cable company is not transmitting the digital stations. If an HD box, did you use the HDMI or component video outs? If you used the RF out from the cable box, that is low-resolution analog video, regardless of the tuned-in station, even though the same cable ouput from your Winegard antenna will deliver high-quality digital and HDTV.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit