Skip to main content
Topic: [LD] Driving the LD in Snow – Report (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
[LD] Driving the LD in Snow – Report
Yahoo Message Number: 98061
Back in 1989 I inherited a 1975 19' Lazy Daze from my parents (they bought it new!) Many, many times I took 4 teenagers skiing in that rig.  My father had removed the forced air heater and replaced it with a catalytic heater because they are more fuel efficient and it still works if your battery dies.  We had to drive over the Oregon Cascades to get to Mt Bachelor from Eugene.  We never had ANY trouble.  One time it was snowing like crazy and the signs said "chains required" so I bullied the boys into putting the chains on.  After a HUGE production and frozen fingers we hit the road again.  After about five miles of tremendous racket and having to drive about 15 mph, I relented and let them take the chains off.  We drove the rest of the way 100+ miles with no trouble at all.  The old girl had great traction!

After the kids moved out my husband and I  stepped up to a 1992 26' midbath.  For several years we towed an enclosed snowmobile trailer with two sleds, quite a heavy load.  Never put chains on.  One year for New Years Eve we took a girlfriend and the LD to the Cowboy Dinner Tree in central Oregon.  We parked across the road in about a foot of snow and walked over for dinner.  Just like the old west only with a LD instead of a Conestoga!
 I think sometimes it's more fun in an LD in the winter than any other time!

Lisa

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2004 MB