Skip to main content
Topic: NM/AZ (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
NM/AZ
Yahoo Message Number: 98043
Hi All,
 We are heading to New Mexico and Arizona from late January into early April. This is our first LD tour into this area. We are aware of the good deal on NM state parks with an annual camping permit. We will probably arrive via Highway 54 to Tucumcari depending on the weather from Iowa. We do not have an itinerary, but love interesting historical and natural outdoor sites. A list of your suggested must-sees, suggested state parks or other camping sites (no need for power) would be cool. Of course, we enjoy meeting other LDers too!

Thanks Chuck and Carla 97RB Skye

Re: NM/AZ
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 98044
One of our favorite state parks in Arizona in Picacho Peak SP between Phoenix and Tucson.  Also, the SW group will be meeting at Catalina SP north of Tucson February 25 - 28.  A great chance to meet other LDers (including us).

--Al in Bremerton (6" of snow on the LD this morning) --2002 26.5 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 98045
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:32:21 -0800, Al Kurkoski wrote these inspiring words:

One of our favorite state parks in Arizona in Picacho Peak SP between Phoenix and Tucson.
It is a popular place, perhaps because there are so few alternatives in the area? The hardy can hike to the top of the peak. The landscape in that area makes the moon scape look inviting. However, YMMV.

Also, the SW group will be meeting at Catalina SP north of Tucson February 25 - 28.
Much better scenery than Picacho Peak and close to some decent places to eat and hiking galore.

AZ is not one of our fav states. Northern NM is much better in our view. We like some green trees with our rocks.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 98048
One of our favorite state parks in Arizona in Picacho Peak SP between Phoenix and Tucson.

In addition, there is Kartchner Caverns near Benson, Saguaro National Park (there are two sections, one to the west of Tucson and one to the east), Gilbert Ray Campground in Tucson Mountain Park which abuts the western Saguaro NP, Chiricahua National Monument, Cochise Stronghold, the old mining town of Bisbee, Tombstone, Patagonia Lake State Park, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Ramsey Canyon, and too many others to mention...and these are just in Southeastern Arizona!
 To Don: apparently, you've never been in northern Arizona, although it's not the only place in Arizona with trees!

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 98049
In the realm of sights to see, our incomplete list is and in no particular order:
 Walnut Canyon NP, just outside Williams AZ which is where you'd might likely stay/visit while at the Grand Canyon

The Painted Desert & The Petrified Forest NPs in AZ

Canyon De Chelly AZ
 Carlsbad Caverns NP NM, the NPS just opened the new Headquarters Building in October and it, as we understand it, is a vast improvement over what it replaced.
 Gila National Forest...a thrilling ride!!! on Hwy 180 from Springerville AZ south through Luna NM to Pleasanton & Glenwood NM. The ride from Silver City NM to Caballo NM on 180 connecting to 152 is likewise thrilling.
 If your trip takes you south from Canyon de Chelly on 191, just north of Springerville AZ is Lyman Lake SP...very nice.
 The Las Cruces area (where we've been for the last 4+ weeks) has lots of natural wonders as well as artsy stuff to see, not to mention some nice wineries with tours and tasting rooms and superb Mexican food. Easy access to nice hiking, a number of excellent state parks where you can camp, and good highway access to where ever you want to go. About 40 miles west of El Paso TX if you feel the need to visit there.
 RVers of our local acquaintance find Las Cruces and environs to be good biking, especially in the Hwy 28 south area, as well as out University Avenue to Dripping Springs SP and also out Valley Drive which is Hwy 188/185 a NM Scenic Byway to Hatch NM...said to be the prime chile growing area in NM.
 White Sands NM in NM is very interesting when you get deep into the park...the first couple of miles on the interior road is sandy with a number of cactus and yuccas here and there...but when you get to the recreational areas you won't believe your eyes...are we where they ice fish?...is this snow or is this sand? Bring your snow saucers and ski boards...it is legal to troop up the hills and fly down!
 Hope you enjoy! We're off to explore southern AZ on Dec 30 as we slowly progress toward The Mothership...our date with which keeps getting put off owing to our own lack of speed!

TinaP
2006 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 98050
Wow, you really haven't seen much of Arizona.  Go to the library and read some Arizona Highways magazines.  Arizona has far more scenic beauty than New Mexico.  We have lived in both states.  Were you aware that this area (Prescott) is on the edge of the largest stand of Ponderosa pine trees in the entire world?  If you want trees, Arizona certainly has them in abundance.

Dick

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 98051
Walnut Canyon NP,

Canyon De Chelly AZ

Haven't been to Walnut Canyon yet, but the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest are great places to visit as is Canyon De Chelly!

Gila National Forest...a thrilling ride!!! on Hwy 180 from Springerville AZ south through Luna NM to Pleasanton & Glenwood NM. The ride from Silver City NM to Caballo NM > on 180 connecting to 152 is likewise thrilling.

And if you're near Glenwood, be sure to go out and walk The Catwalk!
 North of Silver City Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument that is well worth a visit.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 98053
North of Silver City Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument that is well worth a visit.
The museum on the Western N.M. University campus at Silver City has an awesome collection of Mimbres pottery.
 If you get to Winslow, you can stand on the corner with Jackson Browne.

John

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 98054
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:53:18 -0700, "W6CCD"  wrote these inspiring words:

Wow, you really haven't seen much of Arizona.
We have covered the whole state. The area first mentioned, Picacho Peak, while liked by our best friends, is like much, but not all, of the area south of I10; just not attractive. And when the wind blows, the dirt is everywhere.

Arizona has far more scenic beauty than New Mexico.
Our mileage varies. While we have enjoyed the Prescott, Cottonwood, Flagstaff areas, we prefer NM.

The fellow who started this thread is getting lots of great ideas!

I will echo Tina's suggestions. Especially:

Gila National Forest...a thrilling ride!!! on Hwy 180 from Springerville AZ south through Luna NM to Pleasanton & Glenwood NM. The ride from Silver City NM to Caballo NM on 180 connecting to 152 is likewise thrilling.
It would be a real thrill in a low slung something with six forward speeds and wide tires. However, the HP is present.

White Sands NM in NM is very interesting when you get deep into the park
Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 98056
Chuck and Carla

I won't get into the relative merits of New Mexico vs Arizona, they're both great places and you've had some wonderful recommendations from the group.

We have spent most of the last 3 years in New Mexico and are still enthralled and continue to find wonders we've never imagined.
Wherever you go, I suggest getting off the beaten path a bit and you'll find places like no other.  I find myself constantly amazed, but then I'm somewhat easy to please in the amazement department.

In addition to what has already been suggested, I might add

Bosque del Apache Three Rivers Petroglyphs Ghost Ranch the Dinosaur Museum in Tucumcari in fact, there's a wealth of gorgeous countryside around Tucumcari.
Magdalena, the Very Large Array Deming, don't miss the Sunday afternoon jam session and the Deming Museum the Adobe Deli the Salinas Pueblos (all three, Gran Quivara, Abo and Quarai) Montezuma's Castle the Mora Valley the Albuquerque Zoo the White Sands Missle Museum Bandalier the Rough Rider Museum in Las Vegas

Well, you get the idea, I could go on for days.

And that doesn't even begin to mention the glorious skies of New Mexico, which cover the state.

If you're at all interested, you might want to take a look at my blog, about 50% of it covers traveling in New Mexico (the rest is cooking, photography and my blatherings)

If you're near us in NM, give us a holler and we can meet up.

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 98059
A list of your suggested must-sees,
 "Beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them."

Can't recall just who said that, but it's surely true.

ed

Re: Picacho Peak State Park
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 98060
"The landscape in that area makes the moon scape look inviting."
 Sounds as if you don't care for desert terrain, Don. Coming from the lush vegetation of the Northeast, I took awhile to get accustomed to it, but now I love being able to park in the shadow of a giant saguaro cactus, with the mountains looming behind me. For my money, Picacho Peak has some of the best scenery in any southwestern park. As you say, "your mileage may vary"... but I'd hate to have anyone miss camping with a view like this:

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/life05/photos/Picacho.jpg>

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

NM/AZ
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 98064
Chuck and Carla, You have already received recommendations for some of the very best places to stop and explore in both states.  Except, I didn't notice a few of my personal five-star favorites:  Especially for WOW spiritual experiences in New Mexico, I wouldn't miss Chaco Culture National Historical Park (Chaco Canyon), but the entrance road might not be passable this time of year; or Acoma Pueblo, the oldest continuously occupied community in the United States.

http://www.nps.gov/chcu/ http://sccc.acomaskycity.org/

Off the beaten track?  Not widely promoted?  I'm not sure of the reason it's always uncrowded, but certainly worth a visit, is the Amerind Museum in SE Arizona.  It's actually a working anthropological and archeological research facility on beautiful grounds with a marvelous museum and art gallery.  It houses exhibits for all Native American cultures, not just those indigenous to the Southwest US.

http://www.amerind.org/

For another scenic WOW experience, include a stop at Wild Rivers Recreation Area in Northern NM on your itinerary if it isn't snowing!  The confluence of the Red River and the Rio Grande (both have a Wild & Scenic designation) is like no other, and BLM has recently upgraded the campgrounds.
 http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/taos/wild_rivers_rec_area.
2.html

Hmmmmmmmm, all this AZ/NM reporting is making me think I'd better be getting my own list started soon!

Lorna, Santa Cruz headed for Death Valley for New Year
2003 RB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 98070
Sounds as if you don't care for desert terrain, Don.
Only partially the case Andy.
 First, I must apologize to Arizona lovers. I really like parts of the state. It's just some of those southern sections that leave me wanting to keep on moving. The area around Picacho Peak is, for me, one of those that is lacking in scenery. However, your picture makes the best of it.
 As for not caring for desert terrain, I do, some of it. If you divided Kansas in half, north to south, and extended a line to both US borders, everything west of the line is mostly desert. Happily, the same area is punctuated by many mountain ranges which gather water and so allow for forests, waterfalls, white water rivers and the most scenic areas of the United States.

Quartzite, Yuma, etc. are filling up with RV's right now. It's warm there and so it's a popular destination. I'll wait awhile until the snow melts so we can get into the mountains and the trees.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 98084
Hi Chuck and Carla,
 People have given you lots of good ideas of places to visit.  Keep in mind that the mountains even in southern NM such as the Gila can have snow into March.  There is a private campground on the edge of the Gila Nat. Monument, but check road conditions before heading that way,  Don't take route 15 from Silver City. That part of the road is narrow, winding and not in great shape.  Take route 35 off route 152, east of Silver City by way of Silver City rather than Caballo.  You will avoid a high pass.  We hike a lot in the Gila and at high elevations have found snow even in April.  There are lots of hot springs in the area of the Gila Nat. Monument including one at the private campground.

Santa Fe and Taos are great places to visit too.  Taos Pueblo and Earth Ship, a community completely off the grid, are worth visiting.
Earth Ship is located just east of Taos.  Santa Fe is the second largest art center in the U.S. Canyon Rd is lined with art galleries representing art of all types including two of Russian art.  There are several private campgrounds on the edge of Santa Fe.
 If you head west from Socorro on route 60 to the Very Large Array, be sure to stop at Pie Town beyond the Array for some pie.  It was written up in the Smithsonian Magazine a few years ago.  The restaurant on the south side of the highway is the one they highlighted. We were there in December and got ahead of a snow storm.
We dry camped at Datil Wells Nat. Rec. Area east of Pie Town.
 If you have any questions about Las Cruces, we will be glad to answer them.

Enjoy!  There is lots to see and do in NM and AZ.

Ginny and Jim Las Cruces, NM

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 98090
Regarding the desert environment, my wife and I are originally from New England and have lived in Oregon for the past 25 years when not RVing or on assignments overseas. So we love green!!! However, we now spend the winters in the SW whenever we can primarily in New Mexico and Arizona. Just spent the weekend in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument near Ajo, Az and loved the sunshine and incredible Sonoran Desert vegetation. Frankly, I care less for the Mohave or Colorado Desert areas...but the Sonoran is probably the most beautiful and interesting desert of the world botanically. Stretching from Arizona into Baja California, it is a visual feast of cacti and unusual plant forms, including Elephant Trees and Boojums.
 The highlight of the weekend was a four mile hike to Victoria Mine led by a former biology teacher who has worked as a Park Volunteer in Organ Pipe for the past seven years. It was a living biology lesson with gems of geology and history thrown in for good measure. We met two other LDers in the park as well. As RVers we are so fortunate to live in the Western USA which is so rich in cultural and natural history.
 Nola and I wish all LDers Happy Holidays and a Healthy and Prosperous New year in 2009!   David

1998 MB LD (Eugene, OR)