Skip to main content
Topic: What the heck are these thingies called? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
What the heck are these thingies called?
Yahoo Message Number: 97799
This note is for the electrical guru's. Hopeful the one who posted the message about the heavy duty version of the connector will see this.

It is a 12v connector. It looks like a flat four wire tow light connector, except it only has two wires. Someone posted a link to a source for them that used 12gauge wire a few months back. I can not find the message as I don't know what to search for.  You have any idea what the heck I am talking about?

I have prowled around electrical supply sites and automotive sites trying to figure out what the sucker is called.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: What the heck are these thingies called?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 97801
Don,

Can't tell without seeing the picture. However, a very popular on is known as the "power pole connector". They are used in RC models as well, also available at McMaster-Carr on-line.
 http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-parts/PP-45A/RC-PARTS-CONNECTORS-WIRING.html?utm_source=googlebase_froogle&utm_medium=US&utm_term=PP-45A

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Re: What the heck are these thingies called?
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 97802

I have prowled around electrical supply sites and automotive sites trying to figure out what the sucker is called.

Cheers, Don

���`����,��,�`����,��,�`����,��,�`����

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

I grew up calling these "polarized connectors". It took searching for "2 wire trailer connectors" to finally get some hits. Here's one:
 http://www.fivestargeneralstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=126

George

The thingies are called Bullet Leads
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 97803
That's them! Vanco calls them Bullet Leads. 10gauge too.
I am ordering today before I lose the link.
Thanks also to bumper and George.

What am I going to with them? I am going to use them in place of switches to connect and disconnect the cell phone amp, router, etc.
I was not able to find a switch I liked that I could mount inside a storage bin that did not require making big holes in the bin.

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:03:44 -0500, Alex Rutchka wrote these inspiring words:

Don,

I suspect you are referring to msg 96808 by Larry W. here:
 http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/lifewithalazydazerv/message/96808

and his link to the Vanco BL1H connectors here:

http://tinyurl.com/6kp6e6

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB
Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Re: The thingies are called Bullet Leads
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 97805
"That's them! Vanco calls them Bullet Leads. 10gauge too.
What am I going to with them? I am going to use them in place of switches to connect and disconnect the cell phone amp, router, etc."

Don
 You can buy the 14-gauge and 16-gauge version of this plug at almost any auto parts store in the trailer/towing section.
I have found the 12-gauge plugs only through Vanco, either online or at Fry's Electronics.
For most of your small electronics, the 14 or 16-gauge plugs work fine . I use the 12-gauge plugs on power hungry items such as an air compressor or macerator pump.
No matter what the wire size is, all the plugs will interchange with each other.
 Make sure to butter the pins with a little dielectric grease to help maintain good electrical contact.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 97819
Hey, Don,

Aw. What's wrong with a few big holes?   I have several illuminated rocker switches to control power to things like the cell amp, router, and weather radio.  When everything's turned on, we look very Christmasy inside.  Plus, with the lights, I'm less likely to forget that something is on.

Cheers,

Ted

'02 FL  NE-12

@ Gordonia-Alatamaha SP, Reidsville, GA

Toad Hall

Posted by: "Don Malpas"

What am I going to with them? I am going to use them in place of switches to connect and disconnect the cell phone amp, router, etc.
I was not able to find a switch I liked that I could mount inside a storage bin that did not require making big holes in the bin.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 97821
Hi Ted,

Making holes is not so bad, tho I have tried not to mar KoKo.
Here's the deal on this. I tapped into the 12v wiring in the raceway in the curb side overhead bin [Rear lounge of an MB] A small notch in the panel covering the raceway allowed the wire to exit to a six terminal bus I mounted in the rear on the back wall of the bin. I am running six items from the bus.
 The cell amp and router are positioned at the forward end of the bin for the shorter distance to the roof via the vent. While I really would like lighted switches, I am resisting running the wire behind the panel and then back out just to be able to connect to the switch terminals.

I may wind up using a lamp switch, an inline switch that you "spin" for off and on.

It's a good thing I don't do this for a living as I would be broke.
Never mind, we are recently broke anyway.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:32:26 -0500, "Ted H" wxtoad2@...> wrote these inspiring words:
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy