Skip to main content
Topic: My 93 LD RB, Eternabond and other questions (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
My 93 LD RB, Eternabond and other questions
Yahoo Message Number: 97639
Looking for opinion on current roof of 93 LD and Eternabond.  The roof seams will need to be resealed before I take it out of storage and use it in 2009.  Going through different postings it looks to me that a Heat Gun is best tool to help remove old sealant.

My questions is; if I were to leave old sealant and lay Eternabond over it will it be easier to remove old sealant and Eternabond later on?  It is my understanding that once the Eternabond is applied to surface it is impossible to remove.  Is this true?
 My thinking is if the Eternabond is applied over old sealant instead of directly to roof it would be easier to remove later; opinions?

Also how do you apply a link that automatically inserts itself on each message posting that I write (like a signature at bottom of post) do you have to insert them manually each time?
 I would like to place a link to my Webshot picture page but not sure how to do it other than inserting it manually using Tiny URL each time I create a message Post!

On my Webshots page I have pictures of trips with my Casita Trailer and of new to me LD and some mods that I'm working on etc.

Webshots Pictures http://tinyurl.com/6j5tvp

Re: My 93 LD RB, Eternabond and other questions
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 97642
Hi Kent,
 The basic strategy is to cover any bare screwheads and smooth down any major lumps,  clean the surface really well, and then apply the Eternabond right over the old sealant. Once it's on, it isn't going anyplace.  When I was preparing to do my roof, I couldn't find any examples of Eternabond installations that had been removed, but I did find examples that had been in place for 10 or 15 years.  For a 1994 unit with 140,000 miles, that's as far ahead as I'm willing to worry about.

Joanne in Boston NE-44 1994 TK

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 97644
"My question is: if I were to leave old sealant and lay Eternabond over it will it be easier to remove old sealant and Eternabond later on? It is my understanding that once the Eternabond is applied to surface it is impossible to remove."

Eternabond tape is very difficult to remove, but that's the whole point: it seals so well that *you'll never need to.* As Larry W. has pointed out, there are roofs at LAX (where he used to work) that were repaired with Eternabond thirty years ago and haven't leaked since.
With Eternabond there is 1) no need to remove old sealant and 2) no need to periodically reseal.
 "My thinking is if the Eternabond is applied over old sealant instead of directly to roof it would be easier to remove later."

It doesn't work that way. Your existing seams are about 2" wide.
You'll use 4" wide Eternabond tape, so that there's an inch of tape on either side bonding directly to the roof. You don't care whether the middle of the tape sticks to the old sealant or not, or whether the old sealant stick sto the roof. As long as the outer margins bond to the roof, which believe me they will (assuming you cleaned it first), you have a permanent, watertight seal. Once you apply Eternabond, the ten-year scraping-and-resealing cycle is over and done with. You'll never need to seal those seams again. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 97650
The roof, which believe me they will (assuming you cleaned it first), You have a permanent, watertight seal. Once you apply Eternabond, the Ten-year scraping-and-resealing cycle is over and done with. You'll Never need to seal those seams again. :-)>>

Am I correct in thinking that the Eternabond is not a good idea to put around vents and such?

Ellen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 97659
"Am I correct in thinking that the Eternabond is not a good idea to put around vents and such?"
 There's no reason not to use Eternabond around vents--many of us have done so.

Andy Baird

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 97660
"Am I correct in thinking that the Eternabond is not a good idea to put around vents and such?"
 There's no reason not to use Eternabond around vents--many of us have done so.
Speaking from no experience here :-)

I'm thinking perhaps avoid binding the plastic parts (eg shower ceiling).  Because the plastic will eventually fail and the e-bond might make repair complicated?

There's still time for me to learn, my '01 original roof seams are still fine.  (I painted all the plastic sealant to reject sun).

John

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 97665
"I'm thinking perhaps avoid binding the plastic parts (eg shower ceiling). Because the plastic will eventually fail and the e-bond might make repair complicated?"

Good point, John. The shower skylight is likely to need replacing sooner or later, so it might not be a good idea to seal it with Eternabond. That's the only case I can think of, though. The vents, including the escape hatch, aren't likely to need replacing (I'm talking about the frames here, not the lids), so I can't think of any reason not to seal them with Eternabond when the time comes to reseal the rest of the roof. That's what I plan to do with my 2005 eventually.

Andy Baird

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 97671
Thanks for the response the reason that I might want to remove the sealant and Eternabond later would be to repaint the roof.  Just trying to decide whether I should do it this next spring or if the sealant and Eternabond could be removed then I would put off for time being.  I belive I have my answer now.

Also I was hoping someone could help with second question regarding link at bottom of posting like Andy has on each posting.  I was hoping it could be automatic versus having to manually enter each time?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 97673
top right corner 0ptions mail options signature
 on the eternabond roof job i removed my funky seam caulking with a heat gun and putty knife before putting on the eternabond. that allowed me to use two inch tape instead of four inch tape.

Michelle * http://safoocat.blogspot.com/%c2%a0 * http://flickr.com/photos/safoocat/ * http://amazon.com/shops/safoocat
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 97734
Interesting note on Eternabond. I am guilty of not knowing this product, but from what I have read on this site, i figured it was good stuff. I took our first trip to the LD factory last week, met the service manager over there and we discussed several things. He was of the opinion that Eternabond was a waste of money...interesting I thought.

Re: Eternabond
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 97735
"I took our first trip to the LD factory last week, met the service manager over there and we discussed several things. He was of the opinion that Eternabond was a waste of money...interesting I thought."
 We've talked about this before. The folks at Lazy Daze are dismissive of Eternabond because (their stated reason) "It's a major pain to remove when it comes time to reseal." They fail to grasp Eternabond's main advantage: when it's properly applied, you won't ever *need* to reseal!
 They're right about a lot of things, which is why we love our coaches, but on this topic they're dead wrong. If the Lazy Daze factory used Eternabond on the roofs of new coaches, there'd be no need for periodic resealing. I keep hoping that someday they'll see the light...

Andy Baird

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 97736
I took our first trip to the LD factory last week, met the service manager over there and we discussed several things. He was of the opinion that Eternabond was a waste of money...interesting I thought.

Yes, you're right...the factory doesn't like Eternabond.
 But, then, they don't have to spend hours scraping off the old sealant, preparing the surface, and then applying new sealant only to have to do it all over again several years later.  That is, unless they're well compensated for their labor! ;-)

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Re: Eternabond
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 97737
Thanks for your input Andy. I am in need of some minor leak repair on our rig, and LD sold me a tube of some orange stuff, off hand I can't remember the brand name..but since you are the fix it guru here I will consider Eternabond in the future.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 97738
John,

You have to understand that folks at the Mothership toe the "party line".  Back in '06, when I had some cosmetic work done, I asked Vince why they do not use or at least optionally sell the larger Velvac mirrors with the adjustable wide angle mirror.  So many folks, myself included, upgraded the mirrors after taking delivery. In effect we've paid for two sets of mirrors.  His answer was the larger mirrors block more of the forward view and could be less safe.  Guess what kind of mirrors are being sold now? :)
 For them to accept Eternabond, they would have to believe they should use Eternabond in rig assembly to begin with.

Alex Rutchka
'05 MB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 97745
John,

You have to understand that folks at the Mothership toe the "party line".  Back in '06, when I had some cosmetic work done, I asked
Vince

why they do not use or at least optionally sell the larger Velvac mirrors with the adjustable wide angle mirror.  So many folks,
myself

included, upgraded the mirrors after taking delivery. In effect
we've

paid for two sets of mirrors.  His answer was the larger mirrors
block

more of the forward view and could be less safe.  Guess what kind
of

mirrors are being sold now? :)

For them to accept Eternabond, they would have to believe they
should

use Eternabond in rig assembly to begin with.

Alex Rutchka '05 MB
I agree.  LD builds high quality coaches, but is very slow in adopting new technology.  They are also slow in recognizing customers' wants and needs.  Try to ask them for a third solar panel, or to not include the awning.

Sam

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 97752
"...Try to ask them ...to not include the awning."

Sam
Sam

I did and they agreed, they deleted the ice maker, the coffee maker and the awning and gave me credit for them. Then, Steve Newton asked if I knew with which awning I would replace the OEM? When I told him it would be an A&E, 20' in length, he said (and did) reinforce/block the mounting areas so that the screws would have good solid wood to bite into.

SO, never say never!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 97753
Good day all! This question is not related to the sealing problems but I need Help or the great advice happening here. We just got back from 4 days of camping at Joshua Tree

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 97755
I have a suspicion this is why we are all fans of the Lazy Daze.  Because the company is not quick to change their products and are making what they feel is a really high quality product exactly how they want it made.  Now with that being said, there is an aftermarket out there that you can and should draw upon when you feel like the product coming out of the plant doesn't have exactly what you want.  A good example is the automotive industry.  I think from about the very fist car ever rolled off an assembly line the America, people have been adding their own personal touches, or radically modifying them to do one specific thing that they want to do in their vehicles.  I watched the marathon of Hot Rodding TV on Speed channel yesterday, and that's exactly what the show and the magazine are about.  In fact they had Jay Leno on there going through his awesome collection of cars, and he was explaining his opinions of what a hot rod is, and what a factory hot rod is.  Going back to the very roots of hot rodding people were taking pieces out of junk yards and adapting them onto 32 Ford roadsters to make the personalized and to make them perform better at the drag strip.
Why would you guys think it was any different on a LD?  They build a mass marketed product to the best they think they can, and then you buy it and add what you want to make it highly compatible for what you want.  Like 3 solar panels.  Probably 85% of the people who order a LD are never going to leave the confines of a plugged in campground environment, now why would the factory want or know how to put 3 solar panels on a LD? That's what the aftermarket is for.  And you can thank the aftermarket for lots of things on production vehicles now.  The manufactures are bringing in the aftermarket companies all the time and either integrating one of their products into a production vehicle, or they are working together to develop a product component that is very similar to something available on the aftermarket.

I agree. LD builds high quality coaches, but is very slow in adopting new technology. They are also slow in recognizing customers' wants and needs. Try to ask them for a third solar panel, or to not include the awning.

Sam
--

Dan Davis

69 Bronco 351W SEFI
My Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/utahbronco

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: '85 generator exhaust
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 97756
"The [generator] tail pipe points to the rear of the unit."
 If you mean that it ends underneath the rig, then that certainly would account for the exhaust smell you described. I'm surprised that your CO detector didn't raise a racket--if I were you, I'd check its batteries to see whether it's working properly. In any case, this is not a safe configuration.
 "I was wondering if I should change out the [generator] tail pipe have it run straight out."
 Yes, I'd definitely extend the exhaust pipe. You could run it straight back to the rear bumper, but that's a long pipe to support. I'd follow the LD factory's practice: add a 90-degree elbow and then bring the pipe out to the street side/driver's side. (You don't want it exhausting on the curb side, because then you wouldn't be able to run the generator while sitting under the awning.)
 In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if your rig was originally built that way, but the elbow and final length of pipe may have been lost at some point.

Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 97759
john owens  wrote: "The tail pipe points to the rear of the unit. What should I do/check for?" --- You might want to google "Gen-turi"; this generator exhaust extension system is made by Camco and sold by several RV supply places.

"I use 89 octane fuel in the rig." --- Does your engine *require* 89 octane for optimum performance?  If not, there are no performance or mileage advantages to be gained by using a higher octane gas than the minimum octane recommended by your manual.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 97762
Sam

I did and they agreed, they deleted the ice maker, the coffee maker and the awning and gave me credit for them. Then, Steve Newton asked if I knew with which awning I would replace the OEM? When I told him it would be an A&E, 20' in length, he said (and did)
reinforce/block

the mounting areas so that the screws would have good solid wood to bite into.

SO, never say never!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
No kidding!  When did this happen?  You must be a very influential/convincing person.  Congrats.

Sam

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 97764
"When did this happen?  You must be a very

influential/convincing person."
Sam

Sam

October 2004! And no, not really, just call me Mr. Milktoast.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 97766
Thanks to all that replied. I try to cover all pertanent info when addressing the great minds at work here. Our ehaust looks original, the exhaust port has a clamped on 90 degree fitting/tail pipe which points to the rear. It was designed to stick out maybe 9 inches or so. Of course if there is a breeze blowing there is no residual fumes floating

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 97768
I was thinking of ziptieing a length of paper heater hose or something similar to draft the exhaust further away.....What do you think of this? Thanks for all input.

I have seen people with homemade "Gen-Turi" systems, but I'm not sure paper would work since the exhaust pipe gets hot.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton