Skip to main content
Topic: Help... heater core (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Help... heater core
Yahoo Message Number: 97592
Recently I replaced my belts and hoses on my 1986 FL LD.
On a recent outing, I noticed a small leak coming from one of the lower hoses. I tightened her up and it stopped. A few days ago when I went to dump the RV... I smelled antifreeze... The leak was there again and also around the hoses of the heater. I brought her home and parked her until I can get this fixed.
 Today I find that there is moisture on the passenger floor and antifreeze residue..
Would this be the heater core gone out as well? If so, how and where can this be fixed? What is involved and is this an expensive repair?

Ellen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Help... heater core
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 97607
Today I find that there is moisture on the passenger floor and antifreeze residue..
Would this be the heater core gone out as well? If so, how and where can this be fixed?
Not sure what is involved, but if there is leakage evident at the heater hoses - and considering you replaced them all - consider that a leak where they connect to the core could blow coolant along the outside of the core inlet tube and into the passenger compartment.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 97609
Would this be the heater core gone out as well? If so, how and
where can

this be fixed? What is involved and is this an expensive repair?

Ellen

The heater core can be bypassed, a mechanic could do that for you, or show you how.  The problem then being no defroster or heater.  It does sound like the core is leaking, and will need to be removed and replaced.  But at least you could drive/enjoy your rig while you saved up your pennies (I can think of about 4 cars I've done this with!!)

Lisa and Blue

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 97610
Assuming you have a G30 chassis, when mine did this, a Chevy dealer replaced the heater core for $700, probably 5+ years ago.  They said it is a very labor intensive job. I was told the same thing by the Ford dealer when the heater core began leaking into the passenger compartment of my 5 year old Sable wagon. The leakage will only get worse, and you might run the engine low on coolant, and do bad things to the engine, as well as fog the inside windows. I'd find an independent garage that is trustworthy if you don't want to replace the heater core yourself.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 97611
Or show you how.  The problem then being no defroster or heater.  It Does sound like the core is leaking, and will need to be removed and Replaced.  But at least you could drive/enjoy your rig while you Saved up your pennies (I can think of about 4 cars I've done this With!!)

Lisa and Blue>>
 Thank you for your response Lisa. I might have to consider that alternative ))

Ellen and BodegaBaby

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 97613
Heater hoses - and considering you replaced them all - consider that a Leak where they connect to the core could blow coolant along the Outside of the core inlet tube and into the passenger compartment.

Steve>>

Thanks Steve, I had considered that... How can I know whether the heater core is the culprit or if it is just blowing back? The carpet is wet but not sopping wet... Hard to tell though with that Berber carpet that the previous owner installed. The heater core itself when I called a parts house, is around 35.00 dollars... Just getting to it and replacing it is another subject:(( I just hate the thought of pulling the dash and all
 Even the heater and cooler worked fine before this... The only air that comes out is through the defrost vents...
No air comes out through the floor vents or the bi level vents... Could this be caused by a vacuum hose coming lose?

Ellen and Bodega

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 97614
Subject: [LD] Re: Help... Heater core

Assuming you have a G30 chassis, when mine did this, a Chevy dealer Replaced the heater core for $700, probably 5+ years ago.  They said It is a very labor intensive job. I was told the same thing by the Ford dealer when the heater core began leaking into the passenger Compartment of my 5 year old Sable wagon. The leakage will only get Worse, and you might run the engine low on coolant, and do bad things To the engine, as well as fog the inside windows. I'd find an Independent garage that is trustworthy if you don't want to replace The heater core yourself.>>
 Thanks Ed for your response  Gheez... That's a lot of money! My 1986 LD is on a 1985 GMC 3500 Vandura chassis.

Ellen and Bodega

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 97616
Thanks Steve, I had considered that... How can I know whether the heater core is the culprit or if it is just blowing back? The carpet is wet but not sopping
wet... Hard

to tell though with that
Feel if the heater core pipes protruding into the engine compartment side of the firewall are damp. If so, clean and dry them off, as well as the surrounding firewall surface, them apply a sealing putty around them to prevent coolant from entering there.

I suspect you may have lost a vacuum line hose controlling the vent flaps - but I would suspect this only if none of the vent flaps work, including the dash vents (if you have factory air). From my experience, coincidence is rare - check your previous repair for consequences.
 Also, if rains have been rare for you, but occurred recently, suspect water leakage. If the moisture is not slimy, it is unlikely it is coolant. Residues could be from a previous of very minor problem. We had persistent problems with the carpet soaking on the passenger side of the cab after heavy rain. LD suggested a roof leak, which I did not believe. Cleaning and rebuilding the fresh-air vent system did not solve the problem. Eventually resealing the cabover front window and the roof did the trick.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 97617
I didn't notice what year rig you were talking about, but it seems to me that the heater core, if leaking will only do so if you have flipped the lever on the dash asking for heat. In normal operation the engine coolant is bypassed around the heater core. So that being said check the surrounding area before calling for heat, and after. The old process of elimination maybe?

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 97620
I just had a heater core replaced on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, apparently they have to pull the entire dashboard out.  It ended up costing over 700.00.
Thank god it was on warranty.  It does sound like you have a heater core leak.  I guess one cheap thing you could try before you spend a ton of money to get it replaced is to try one of those stop leak radiator products that you can get at any parts store.  They might do the job.  Especially if it's a very small pin hole leak, which they usually are.  Worth a try.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 97624
I can recommend Barr head gasket repair. I had a leaking head gasket when I bought my LD and that fixed it. That was June 07 and it's still fixed. I don't drive a lot though but some.

Michelle * http://safoocat.blogspot.com/%c2%a0 * http://flickr.com/photos/safoocat/ * http://amazon.com/shops/safoocat
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 97628
Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded to my question... I really appreciate the feedback... Thanks!

Ellen