Skip to main content
Topic: Food (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Food
Yahoo Message Number: 97548
To digress, if you are not still working off Thanksgiving repasts, and have Texas on your itinerary, we can recommend Texas Monthly's choices for best BBQ, including #1, Snow's BBQ (see their website)in Lexington and Calvin Trillin's article in the New Yorker magazine about Texas BBQ and Snow's. Nomads may also find the Food Channel's ubiquitous lists of best pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, lobster rolls, donuts, and, yes, BBQ, for TV's guides to dining adventures all over our country. Burp?

Re: Food
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 97566
To digress, if you are not still working off Thanksgiving repasts, and have Texas on your itinerary, we can recommend Texas Monthly's choices for best BBQ, including #1, Snow's BBQ (see their website)in Lexington and Calvin Trillin's article in the New Yorker magazine about Texas BBQ and Snow's. Nomads may also find the Food Channel's ubiquitous
lists of

best pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, lobster rolls, donuts, and, yes,
BBQ,

for TV's guides to dining adventures all over our country. Burp?
We are still working off our Thanksgiving excesses Anne but that doesn't keep us from planning our next tour of America's Great Barbecue Joints.  Thanks for all the tips.
 Calvin Trillin is well qualified to write on the subject as he hails from Kansas City which some (but probably not Texans) contend is the center of the universe for barbecue (not to mention fried chicken served family style.) We had the good fortune one year to arrive in Kansas City and learn that it was the very weekend of the KC Royals BBQ Competition.  Talk about pigging out...

While on the subject of great food, we finally got to visit Gayle's in Capitola, California.  It bills itself as having California's largest selection of fresh baked treats as well as a fully stocked deli and gourmet coffee bar.  It is everything that Sarah and Kate and others have claimed.  Be sure to go back in the evening for the Blue Plate Special.  It is a short drive from New Brighton California State Beach which features great views, beach access, and camping on a bluff among sheltering trees.

And, when traveling on US 101 in Central California be sure to stop at Jocko's Steak House in Nipomo. Jocko's is one of many great steak houses in that area renowned for their Santa Maria Style Barbecue.
 I hope to see more posts in the future about dining attractions along the road. I'll walk a mile or drive five hundred to find a barbecue joint that "no one else knows about."

Nate Walker Tacoma 2005 30'TB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 97567
"I hope to see more posts in the future about dining attractions
along the road. I'll walk a mile or drive five hundred to find a barbecue joint that "no one else knows about."

Nate Walker Tacoma 2005 30'TB
Nate

I'm sure that you must be aware of this site:

I've used it quite a bit.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 97568
I'll walk a mile or drive five hundred to find a barbecue joint that "no one else knows about."

Nate Walker
OK, Nate A LOT of people do know about this joint, but the BBQ is pretty good, tho not as good as some Texas Hill Country places.
So with that qualification, when in Georgia or Alabama, try Dreamland http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/default.aspx?id=4

When in the north end of the Texas Hill Country, this joint is one of the best http://www.coopersbbq.com/ You pick your slab out of the pit.

Really good TEXAS steaks, south of Abilene http://www.periniranch.com/

Pig out at the Cowboy Dinner Tree south of La Pine, OR http://cowboydinnertree.homestead.com/main.html You can park your rig there overnight

Thai? One of the best Royal Thai Restaurant, Chino Hills, CA Not far from the Mothership

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 97582
And, when traveling on US 101 in Central California be sure to stop at Jocko's Steak House in Nipomo. Jocko's is one of many great steak houses in that area renowned for their Santa Maria Style Barbecue.
I'll second Nate's recommendation of Jocko's!  Just be sure to bring multiple doggy bags!  One plate would feed a family of four.  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 97589
I am ready to go on a Food Road Trip, with all these places to try. Can someone setup a database or file for all these great places to eat, along with all the other places people love? we could have our own list for all the great places in the USA and Canada.

Dennis