Skip to main content
Topic: Coleman camp oven (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Coleman camp oven
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 97494
On Nov 22, 2008, at 11:48 AM, jctaylor1941 wrote:

If anyone has used a Coleman camp oven, I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences:

Once upon a time, long long ago when gas was less than a dollar and when people camped in canvas tents from Sears and cooked on Coleman stoves that used white gas that had to be funneled into a red cylinder and then pump primed with a plunger...well, yes, I do remember using that Coleman oven.  I seem to remember it working very well to keep some things such as rolls and pancakes nice and warm.  I also recall that baking potatoes was more efficiently accomplished when wrapped in foil and tossed on the camp fire.  I also remember trying to bake berry cobblers in it for dessert and finally getting to eat them for breakfast!

OK, yes, I'm dating myself.  Nevertheless, the thing worked great.
For the times ... when one had plenty of time!  Amazing that some of those classic camping accessories are not only still in use but have attained "classic" status!

Lorna Santa Cruz
2003 RB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 97495
Lorna Dunham  wrote: Nevertheless, the thing worked great. For the times ... when one had plenty of time! --- I've heard that getting an accurate temperature reading (or even remotely close) can be pretty difficult, but I don't plan to produce any 'gourmet creations' with the thing.  I just figured that the camp oven with its little 'baking rack' might be a step up from using the comal and an aluminum foil 'tent' for rudimentary baking needs! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 97496
With my little travel trailer that did not have an oven.  I found portable oven from Brinkman.  It worked resonable well and was able to reach 450 degrees depending on outside temps and wind just keep the door closed, if you are a lookie lou than these type ovens won't get the temps you need.
 I have used my Brinkman to bake/cook different things such as chicken taquitoes and keep french toast warm for group of 30+ These type appliances just take longer.

Not sure on the Coleman if it has any insulated qualities about it.
For comparison the Brinkman has two levels and I considered it to have lots of space for it's size.

Brinkman discontinued this item but I was able to find one

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 97507
"If anyone has used a Coleman camp oven, I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences:"

Joan

My dad had one. He used it to keep food warm when cooking for a crowded campsite.
The plus of this oven is that it folds ups, a nice feature when car camping. The problem is that it is not insulated, making it difficult to control or maintain the temperature in cold or windy weather.
When used on a camp stove, surrounding the oven and stove, with a windshield, is very beneficial. As methodical as you are Joan, I'm sure you would have it figured out quickly
 Today, Coleman has a line of propane-powered appliances, including an oven that looks more like a toaster oven.

Coleman Camp oven- propane powered http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=9927-A50&categoryid=2210

I'm happy having the small oven in the LD, it sure beats some of the other baking methods we have tried.
For our kayaking trips, we use a BakePacker. It  `bakes', using steam.
http://www.bakepacker.com/ It makes passable cornbread and sweet rolls and is useful for heating dehydrated food.
 For the ultimate in LD ovens, you can replace your existing stove with the taller model, as Andy did.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 97513
The problem is that it is not insulated, making it difficult to control or maintain the temperature in cold or windy weather.
When used on a camp stove, surrounding the oven and stove, with a windshield, is very beneficial.
--- The oven is an energy hog since there is no insulation and you must keep an eye on the thermometer located in the door.

I do plan to use the camp oven outside on the burner of a butane cylinder-fueled 'Max Burton' burner; here it is at Amazon, one of several vendors:
 http://www.amazon.com/Burton-Portable-Table-Butane- Stove/dp/B0000DI5GD

If it's not too windy, the burner works pretty well on its own, but it's more efficient when it's placed in/on the Grillguard to cut the wind and help 'contain' the heat.

http://grillguard.com/

I think that the Grillguard would help to increase the heat retention of the oven, too, but, as has ben mentioned, one just has to experiment to find out what works.  Thanks for the replies!

Joan
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 97515
Joan, Have you tried the cast iron Dutch Ovens? Those are great for stews, baking, frying and desserts. I've collected recipes and links and have one but haven't done any experimenting yet myself.  Now that we have our LD, I have put that on the back burner'...
Denise'

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 97517
http://www.wildernessdining.com/bk002.html>

Once upon a time, I bought a Bake Packer from REI.  They no longer seem to carry it, but the above URL will give you an idea of what it is.

Mine had a domed cover, but this one seems to be open.
Perhaps you could use a cover from your current kitchen implements, or fashion a heavy-duty aluminum foil topper of some sort.  (I have no idea what happened to mine; probably in one of the storage rooms, hiding in a box.)

A more elaborate outfit can be seen at:

http://www.wildernessdining.com/bp167000.html>

It's time for T'ai Chi now, so I can't look up more possibilities, but Google  Bake Packer  and check out the offerings.

Virtual hugs,

Judie Grounded in - Sierra Vista, Arizona (but not for too much longer)