Skip to main content
Topic: Picked up our new (to us) Lazy Daze (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Picked up our new (to us) Lazy Daze
Yahoo Message Number: 97306
Just home (Seattle area) from Sacramento in our 92 MB 26.5 I found on Craigslist.  It's everything the owner purported it to be.  A well cared for 68,000 mile rig.  A complete file of maintenance records confirms newer tires, brake work, trans maintenance, new fridge in 2002, new Bilsteins at 55,000 miles.  It starts, stops and handles well.

A couple of questions:

The gas tank doesn't appear to be venting properly.  It wooshes air when the cap is removed.  Do these things have an evaporative emission system for the fuel tank?
 The generator does not want to stay on.  Initially I thought it might be the wooshing tank.  It starts fine but would only run for 3-4 minutes.  I checked the oil level and it looks fine.  Plenty of gas in the tank.  After removing the gas cap to let the tank pressure release it will stay on for 12-15 minutes.  Does it just need a tune or am I doing something wrong?  It's a Onan 4,000.

The newish Dometic appears to be a two way fridge?  It runs on gas and the generator but not on the house batteries when the rig is on.
It stays on gas.  Is this typical?
 Any Seattle area owners with recommendations on RV maintenance places and/or mechanics?
 I have much to read, the previous owner has all the records, manuals, etc.  We did peruse the manuals for the rig and generator to see if we missed something obvious with that.

Thanks for your help.  We're very excited to be home and happy with our first motorhome.

Jerry Hynes
1992 MB

Re: Picked up our new (to us) Lazy Daze
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 97309
"The newish Dometic appears to be a two way fridge? It runs on gas and the generator but not on the house batteries..."
 Yes, that's normal. Lazy Daze hasn't installed three-way fridges in about fifteen or twenty years.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 97310
"The newish Dometic appears to be a two way fridge? It runs on gas and the generator but not on the house batteries..."
 Yes, that's normal. Lazy Daze hasn't installed three-way fridges in about fifteen or twenty years.
I have  an original 3-way Dometic refrigerator.  When it's on automatic, it never chooses 12- volt anyway; perhaps that's for when you run out of propane. In other words, you're not really missing anything.

Joanne in Boston NE-44 1994 TK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 97316
Hi Jerry, Had a similar problem with the same generator, same symptoms.  Had a gash in the top side of the fuel line.  Easy way to trouble shoot : * disconnect the fuel line from the generator input filter and connect a short piece of 5/16" diameter fuel line that will reach down into a gallon jug of gas.  Start up the generator and see if it keeps running.  If it does you have a leak in your fuel line to the generator.*  I finally found my leak after doing the above by blowing low pressure air into the generator end of the line.  It was very easily located...a gash on the *TOP* portion of the line.  Thus the pump would pump up enough fuel to start but not enough to overcome the leak in the line.  Put all new line from the gas tank to the filter.  Runs like a champ.  $16 for a roll of 5/16"dia. fuel line.  I refastened it better than the factory did.  Larry

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 97317
Just home (Seattle area) from Sacramento in our 92 MB 26.5 I found on Craigslist.  It's everything the owner purported it to be.  A well cared for 68,000 mile rig.  A complete file of maintenance records confirms newer tires, brake work, trans maintenance, new fridge in 2002, new Bilsteins at 55,000 miles.  It starts, stops and handles well.

A couple of questions:

The gas tank doesn't appear to be venting properly.  It wooshes air when the cap is removed.  Do these things have an evaporative emission system for the fuel tank?
 The generator does not want to stay on.  Initially I thought it might be the wooshing tank.  It starts fine but would only run for 3-4 minutes.  I checked the oil level and it looks fine.  Plenty of gas in the tank.  After removing the gas cap to let the tank pressure release it will stay on for 12-15 minutes.  Does it just need a tune or am I doing something wrong?  It's a Onan 4,000.

The newish Dometic appears to be a two way fridge?  It runs on gas and the generator but not on the house batteries when the rig is on.
It stays on gas.  Is this typical?
 Any Seattle area owners with recommendations on RV maintenance places and/or mechanics?
 I have much to read, the previous owner has all the records, manuals, etc.  We did peruse the manuals for the rig and generator to see if we missed something obvious with that.

Thanks for your help.  We're very excited to be home and happy with our first motorhome.

Jerry Hynes
Ford engine?  I use Scarff Ford in Auburn for regular maintenance on my some-other-brand.  They do a good  job and prices are fair.

OTHER stuff - repairs, installs of various sorts - Wescraft RV Repairs, in Tacoma.  253 926 3443.
They do an excellent job, won't rush a job just to get it done - they do it 'right'.

Cheers,

Helen

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 97343
asked about service shops in the Seattle area....
 Centralia isn't exactly in the Seattle 'area', but this shop has a very good reputation:

http://www.brazelsrv.com/

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 97345
Thanks for the replies.  Any experience with Evergreen RV on Aurora? I need something closer to Seattle or Kirkland.  Auburn, Tacoma, Centralia are too far away.
1992 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 97351
Evergreen was not recommended to me when I was asking - they were on the 'taboo' list.

Lori knows a Ford place

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 97355
wrote: Any experience with Evergreen RV on Aurora?  I need something closer to Seattle or Kirkland.  Auburn, Tacoma, Centralia are too far away.
--- wrote: Evergreen was not recommended to me when I was asking - they were on the 'taboo' list.
--- Just a reminder to look in the Database section (on the home page of the message board) under "Maintenance/Installation Facilities" for reviews of service locations.   www.rvservicereviews.com may also be helpful.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 97364
We just picked up our 85 FL. She has three way im proud to say. It seems LD installed a manual toggle switch for the driver to switch from LPG to 12 volt...which is the auto"s last choice of power according to the manual. Their is also a 20 to 30 minute delay involved, something to do with fuel stops. Maybe Andy can enlighten me on this. Regards ALL!!