Skip to main content
Topic: Texas camping recommendations? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Texas camping recommendations?
Yahoo Message Number: 97260
We will be traveling through Texas in the next few days generally north of I-10. Our only plans are to stop in Livingston, San Antonio and Big Bend.

We aren't in a rush and are looking for any recommended parks. We would like inexpensive camping and generally we stay in state, national and COE parks.
 We would like to stay as close in to San Antonio as possible so will likely opt for a private campground.

Jim Cummings

Re: Texas camping recommendations?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 97261
Hi Jim: We like to stay at Braunig Lake Resort just East of SA on I-37. It is really convienient to downtown and easy to get

Re: Texas camping recommendations?
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 97278
"...traveling through Texas ...generally north of I-10. ...plans are to stop in Livingston, San Antonio and Big Bend."

Jim Cummings
Jim

Having just returned from that country less than 3 weeks ago I can speak to part of it!

Because of the fact that I do not like to get en-snarled in big Cities I cannot recommend anything close to San Antonio. But, having said that, you should take in the River Walk, the Alamo and the Mercado if you have not yet seen them.

My absolute favorite RV park in the Texas Hill Country is Fredericksburg RV Park located in the town of that name, and not all that far from San Antonio. There are also nice ones in Austin.
 You may run into a problem I had. Because of the boom in oil industry work and the restoration ongoing since Hurricane Ike it was very difficult to find camping sites available. I actually had to dry camp at Trader's Village in Houston, leave my LD there, and drive my toad down to Port Arthur in order to visit my son who is working there, building the 1st new oil refinery to be constructed in the U.S. in over 30 years.

When I approached Big Bend from the west (Marfa to Presidio) I was unable to access the Nat. Park due to the fact that the roads had been washed out. It cost me 140 needless miles and four hours of driving to get back to where I'd started that morning. However, I understand that the park is accessible from the north and east.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: Texas camping recommendations?/Postscript
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 97280

"...traveling through Texas ...generally north of I-10. ...plans are to stop in Livingston, San Antonio and Big Bend."

Jim Cummings

Jim

Oh yes, I forgot one of the better parts. Should you decide to
approach Big Bend from the East (Eagle Pass and Del Rio) you should stop off at Choke Canyon SP just east of Three Rivers on Texas Hywy 72. There you will find all kinds of wild life, Deer, Wild Turkeys, Javalina, Armadillos, Racoons and even Alligators. My Jiggs was in Dog Heaven, staying up all night watching the deer in the campground.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 97281
Glad you are going to Big Bend.  Jim and I have been volunteering at Big Bend National Park  for 10 years.  Allow plenty of time to see the park.  For up to date conditions before visiting the park go to http://www.nps.gov/bibe/daily_report.htm and click on the daily report.  There was a hugh flood in September.  A temporary campground at Rio Grande Village has been open on bumpy land.   If your rig is 24' you can easily get up to the one in the Chisos,  if 26'  be very careful on the first hairpin.  Tows can be easily unhooked at the large pull off at the start of  the Chisos Mt. Road.  The Cottonwood campground by the river at Castolton was flooded too, but is now open.  The area west of the park is interesting.  Terlingua Ghost Town is worth visiting.  The Terlingua Trading Company is in the building that housed the company store, during the time mercury was being mined.  Also located in the same area is the Starlight Restaurant serving 2 for 1 hamburgers Monday nights.   The Warnock Educational Center of Big Bend Ranch State Park on the edge of Lajitas is well worthwhile seeing.  Beyond Lajitas Rt.
170 is narrow with no berm and a  steep and curving grade.   North of Alpine is Fort Davis National Historical Site and McDonald Observatory - day time tour and star party well worthwhile.  We will be back at Big Bend in the Basin Visitor Center Feb. - April '09.

Ginny Herrick

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 97284
North of

Alpine is Fort Davis National Historical Site and McDonald Observatory - day time tour and star party well worthwhile.

And, while in Alpine, be sure to visit the Museum of the Big Bend on the campus of Sul Ross State University, http://www.sulross.edu/~museum/.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton