Skip to main content
Topic: Joshua Tree (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Joshua Tree
Yahoo Message Number: 143232
Anyone have recommendations for the sites in Joshua Tree?  From what I've read it seems like I might want to do Jumbo Rocks.

Bill
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Re: Joshua Tree
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 143236
Bill--We spent several days at Jumbo Rocks early last spring and had a wonderful time.  In general, we try to get sites with as much privacy as possible.  The winding CG roads and, well, jumbo rocks, afford a lot of visual screening for many sites.  We are going back to JTNP this winter and will head straight for Jumbo Rocks.

The main logistical concern is water.  It is available inside the park only at Black Rock and Cottonwood.  We carry two 7-gal. white water jugs strapped (when empty) to the rear ladder; The extra water allows us to extend our initial stay and replenish in 29 Palms (via our toad) without moving our Rear Bath.

The second problem is dumping (also Black Rock and Cottonwood only), but we can go about one week between black water dumps, so that's not so bad.  For gray water, we have a 7-gal. blue jug that we can jump in a toilet as often as necessary between black water dumps.

There is a virtue with these limitations--tent campers and small rigs can't stay too long.  With no reservations taken, that means good turnover.  Watch out, however, for holiday week-ends, and, especially, college and public school vacation periods.

I think you will enjoy it if you can cope with the water and dumping issues.  Ted

Re: Joshua Tree
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 143239
We were there a few years ago and stayed at Cottonwood Springs, Jumbo Rock and  Hidden Valley  . Jumbo Rocks is a really neat place - don't miss the short hike out to Skull Rock .  But we had the best time at Hidden   Valley  . Although it's primarily a tenting campground, there are a few sites into which you can fit  an RV .  The attraction at Hidden   Valley is the rock-climbing . No, we're not climbers, but it was great fun to sit there beside the LD and watch folks tackling the rock faces all around us .  We had a neat family tenting next to us with two young kids, probably 10 and 12, and you should have seen them scramble up .
 You can read about our stay in Joshua Tree, complete with pictures, at:
 http://www.wxtoad.com/index.php/our-travels/2013-01-22-00-14-25/joshua-tree-np

There are also links on that page to picture reviews of the three CG's I mentioned .

Have a great trip .

WxToad @ Villanueva SP, NM www.wxtoad.com www.ultimatecampgrounds.com

Posted by:  bill . bussiere@gmail  . com pdl2win Date: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:09 pm ((PDT))

Anyone have recommendations for the sites in Joshua Tree?  From what I've read it seems like I might want to do Jumbo Rocks  .   Bill