Skip to main content
Topic: Locations for work/computer desk/area in different LD models (Read 29 times) previous topic - next topic
Locations for work/computer desk/area in different LD models
Yahoo Message Number: 89554
All,

My situation: I am planning to go full time in a LD because their quality is so superior to all the other possible makes I have looked at, except maybe a Foretravel or Prevost both of which I am not willing to pay for.
 We have a 1996 RB and plan to buy a new or newer LD in the near future, since the RB will not allow me to be away from my wife while I work.  We have really enjoyed the RB with its openness and big rear bath.
 I have the option to work from the LD as I am a computer geek.  This will involve many hours a week with me working and my wife trying to get a little privacy as much of my work involves talking on the phone with on site technicians and customers.

My questions: What arrangements have you tried and how successful have you been in setting up a desk or work area for a computer in the LD?
 Have you found your MotoSat to be reliable enough to use for scheduled appointments?
 Now that analog service is being discontinued, what cell service have you found to be most wide spread and reliable?

Possible Solution: My dear wife suggested that if we had an entertainment center, I could get a tall office type chair ( 36 inches to the seat ) such as a drafting chair, and set on it while it was placed between and slightly behind the driver's and co-pilot's seats.  I would cut a piece of plywood to fill in the area where a cab-over fold down bed would be if there were no entertainment center.  This would be my desk.  My wife thinks we could either put doors across the front or I suggested we could use curtains to cut off the mess of my desk when not in use.
 If the TV in the entertainment center has HDMI input, I can use it as an extension of my laptop for greater monitor screen space.

And Now: Bracing myself so you can all tell me how far out in no man's land I am with this brain storm.

Jerry & Bernice Howell Denver, CO 1996 26.5 RB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Re: Locations for work/computer desk/area in different LD models
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 89558
Jerry, I work on the road for several hours a day. I can tell you what I've done with my midbath, which has been very satisfactory: in a nutshell, I removed the street-side couch and built an L-shaped desk that gives me plenty of room for a desktop computer (20" iMac), a scanner, printer and other accessories. You can read about it and see photos on my "Skylarking" website:

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/skylarking/>
 The first two entries, "Skylark 'as delivered' " and "Upgrade frenzy," tell the story. The desk modification wasn't hard to do, and it left me with a full-sized sofa/bed in the rear plus the queen-sized overcab bed that I sleep in.
 Of all the Lazy Daze floorplans, the midbath layout is one of the best suited to couples who want the option of having a little personal space from time to time. The 31' twin bed layout is also good in that regard, although I think it would be somewhat more difficult to build an office in the rear.

I'd recommend against trying to use a TV set as a computer monitor.
Even high-def sets, while they may have HDMI inputs, are not well optimized for crisp display of computer text. And if you're spending serious time on the computer, as I do, anything *less* than crisp text will rapidly become a source of painful eyestrain!

You can go the other way, though: a good computer makes a fine CD player, and can be used as a TV if you buy a fairly inexpensive USB tuner.
 "Have you found your MotoSat to be reliable enough to use for scheduled appointments?"

Only a few satellite-internet users in this group have automated MotoSAT HughesNet dishes. The majority of us do fine with tripod-mounted HughesNet dishes from Dustyfoot or Maxwell. Same service, same performance, just takes a little longer to set up (typically less than half an hour)... and costs about $4,000 less. :-) Either way, reliability is high. Don't expect to use the satellite internet connection for VOIP telephony, though--due to a slight delay, it's not well suited to that use, though it works fine for everything else.
 The death of analog cell phone service doesn't change anything as far as choice of carriers is concerned. Verizon Wireless still has the best coverage, and most RVers choose VZW for that reason. If using the phone for business, you will want to have both a roof-mounted cell phone antenna and a booster amplifier to ensure good connections almost everywhere. I recommend Wilson's model #811210 amp and a Wilson antenna.
 If you have good computer skills, working on the road while fulltiming is certainly feasible. Choose a floorplan such as the midbath that allows you to set aside a separate office space, equip yourself with a desk, a comfortable chair and the necessities for telephone and internet connections, and you can go just about anywhere while bringing in money as a consultant or whatever. I've been doing it for years, and I'm not the only one.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 89563
Jerry and Bernice,

Regarding the question about which LD model to choose to convert to office/living space,  I think I have to agree with Andy Baird, (message #89558), that the midbath offers the best choice for privacy and work area.  Some of the considerations might be, where will your wife spend her day while you're working in your office space?  If you choose Andy's solution, she would still have one sofa in the rear, plus the dinette in the front.  If you can't work with her in the office space, that leaves only the dinette for her to use.  That could get very confining in a very short time!
 I'm sitting in our 30/31' TB LD, looking at the entertainment center and thinking about the modification you mentioned.  While a shelf could be used over the cab section, access to the cabinets on either side of the TV would be almost impossible with the shelf in place.
It's just too deep.  Your movement in the chair arrangement you suggested would be quite restricted, too.
 An option I considered at one point in our LD, was to convert one of the twin beds, probably on the driver's side, to a desktop above drawers, similar to the arrangement Andy Baird did in Gertie, but with the desk on the opposite side.  All the electrical outlets in our LD are on that side in the bedroom.  It still would be rather cramped, though.  That would allow one twin bed plus the pull-out double sofa bed in the front living area for seating and sleeping.
 Frankly, Andy's arrangement in Skylark, for one person, seems ideal.
For a couple, fulltime or for long periods of time, only you and your wife can decide.  ;^)

Best of luck!  Please let us know what you decide.

Sharon N.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 89565
Jerry, We have a 2000 MD that I modified with a work station for computer gear. Go to the Photo section and look for "MB Mods by Ron". My solution was different than Andy's since I didn't need as much desk space or a filing cabinet. I was able to order our MB as a Rear Lounge leaving out the small cabinet and with only one chair (I did some arm-twisting on Ed & Steve). The photos show my two built-ins; a computer desk and a printer/misc cabinet. I normally have an i-mac velcro'd to the desk. It rides there just fine. I carry two printers; a small B&W laserprinter and a color inkjet.
 The sofa across from the desk area pulls out to make a double bed. This is our primary sleeping area. During the day we fold up the sleep sack and store it

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 89700
Andy,
 As always, thanks for your reply and your photos.  While at the Balloon Festival I saw your desk and you were gracious enough to copy our photos to disk and give us your wall clock which we still use in our RB.
 The MB is a great floor plan for a couple who wants to have "a little personal space", but my wife wants quite a bit of personal space and doesn't think just a dinette in the front will be enough, so we are leaning towards the 30 ft twin bed.  With a 30 ft I will have to be more selective where I park, but it still seem small after trying a 40 ft Foretravel.  That was a challenge to get turned around.
 You mentioned it might be more difficult to build a desk in the back of a 30 ft.  What would the difference be, except for the pass through?
 In my computer work I often have a couple dozen windows open at the same time and just refer to many of them for bits of information, so I will still consider a HD 1080 as an extension desk top since I won't be looking at it all the time as the primary screen.  I will test it first to see how good it looks before I buy one.  And I will have to see what fits in a 30 ft entertainment center.
 I have been watching the discussions regarding using Verison for internet connection.
Since I will need to be connected at designated or scheduled times, I think I will have to go for a satellite internet connection and possibly back that up with a Verison connection.  I just got a iphone and know the limitations of the AT&T network and the two year contract.
 I do live near Terry Cannon, who paid you $10.00 for your shareware, and plan to look him up and try the satellite connection with VPN connection.   I know it will be slow but I want to find out if I will be able to live with it.
 I agree with your recommendation of a Wilson antenna and amp.  I will look into all this in greater detail later.
 I have been working from home for a couple years and if I can get reliable (read that as when I need it) internet and phone connection, I should be able to work from the LD and get primed for retirement.  That also depend on if my wife can tolerate me working near here at all hours of the day and night.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you again down the road.

Jerry & Bernice Howell 1996 26.5 RB Denver, CO
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 89701
Sharon N.
 I can work with my wife in the office area, my wife doesn't want to be around me when I work, since I have to talk with people on the phone while I work, so which ever end of the LD I work in, she will migrate to the other end.
 We both think the 30 ft will be the best arrangement even if we do have to look a little more to find a parking place.  With our 26.5 I can often park it in a regular parking spot if I can get on the end or let the rear end overhang the parking space.
 I have never seen a 30/31 ft TB LD.  I know there is a drawer in a night stand over the pass through storage between the two twin beds.  I was wondering if that was removed and the pass through just carpeted, couldn't the twin beds be converted to couches as in a 26.5 ft MB ?  Or, one remove one and replace it with a double wide wall hugger recliner.
 In our 26.5 RB we have replaced the barrel chairs with a couple hassocks that open into recliners.  We found them at the Great American Furniture warehouse.  They are not the most comfortable, but we think they are one step above the barrel chairs.
 Since I am 6'4.5" tall my head is very close to the ceiling and I am guessing I could get to the side cabinets above the cab.  As far as my movement in the chair arrangement, my wife doesn't care about that.  She just thinks it would be great to pull the curtains and hide my desk and the clutter she envisions being there.
 If it does not put you to a lot of trouble, could you tell me how deep the night stand is (how far the pass through extends into the room)?  And how far is it from the edge of the night stand to the end of the twin bed?  I know the bed on the drivers side is 1.5" longer than the one on the passenger side.

Thank for your comments, I hope to meet you in our travels.

Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 89703
Ron in Ohio,
 Thanks for your reply.  I see you have a Diesel.  Do you know if the 2008 31 ft will be a gas or diesel or will there be a choice?  I though this might be something you may have followed with interest.
 I appreciate your pictures and I like both Andy's arrangement and yours.  Both serve an individual purpose.  My wife wants me to be as far away as possible and my desk to disappear when not in use, so we are still working on how to accomplish her wishes.
 There might, and I say might, be a slim chance I could get Steve or Ed to agree to leave out the night stand between the beds in a 30/31 ft Twin Bed LD so I could make a pull out couch out of one or both of the twin beds.  I  think if I carpeted the pass through storage that is under the night stand I could convert the twin beds to pull out couches as in the 26.5 ft MB.  That would allow my wife and me to sleep together and not dedicate the entire back area to just bed as in the Island Bed.  This would make having a desk back there a better option in the 30'/31' TB LD.
 Since we are contemplating becoming full timers, or at least most timers.  We are leaning toward the 30/31 ft, especially since it is rumored they have a new higher GVWR in the new chassis seen on the lot at the Mother Ship.

I welcome any other thought anyone wants to share.

Sincerely,

Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Re: Locations for work/computer desk/area in 30'
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 89709
"...I have never seen a 30/31 ft TB LD.  I know there is a drawer in
a night stand over the pass through storage between the two twin beds.
I was wondering if that was removed and the pass through just carpeted, couldn't the twin beds be converted to couches as in a 26.5 ft MB ? Or, one remove one and replace it with a double wide wall hugger recliner..."

Jerry, I think the issue in the 30' TB will be what's under each bed.
Under one, I'm pretty sure, is the water tank.  I'm not sure what's under the other but someone at the factory (or maybe on this forum) could tell you.  In the 30' IB, the water tank is under the queen bed thus making any changes to the rear bedroom very difficult without relocating the water tank and then possibly messing up the weight distribution engineered into the floor plan.

Chris Arvada, CO
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 89712
Thanks for your reply.  I see you have a Diesel.  Do you know if the 2008 31 ft will be a gas or diesel or will there be a choice?

Lazy Daze no longer offers the diesel.  And I'm not sure they ever offered it in the 30' because of the additional weight of the diesel engine (although I could be wrong on this point...maybe someone here knows for sure).

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 89714
Hey Jerry,

that open into recliners. We found them at the Great American Furniture warehouse. They are not the most comfortable, but we think they are one step above the barrel chairs.>>

What are those hassocks?  I looked on their website- is this it?

http://www.afwonline.com/ic280frm.asp?prodno=ARA2-C>

How does it flip open?  Very cool idea.

Also, what does your wife enjoy doing while you're working?  If she likes TV or music, some cordless headphones might make the small space more workable for the two of you.

Here's an inexpensive option:  The Kate Cordless Headphones - msg #83952
 http://www.meritline.com/200-013-002.html

Hope that helps,

Tessa in TX

'92 MB - Ciao Baby!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 89718
"The MB is a great floor plan for a couple who wants to have 'a little personal space,' but my wife wants quite a bit of personal space and doesn't think just a dinette in the front will be enough, so we are leaning towards the 30 ft twin bed. With a 30 ft I will have to be more selective where I park, but it still seem small after trying a 40 ft Foretravel."

Understood. The 30-footer will give you more space, and if you can convert the rear into an office/bedroom, your wife will have lots of room up front to do whatever she wants.

As others have noted, in the 30' Twin Bed model the water tank is under the curbside bed, so if you remove something to make a desk, it's going to have to be the streetside bed. You'll still have the sofa/full-sized bed up front to sleep in.
 As for the nightstand/pass-through issues... I think you really need to see a 30; TB before you make more detailed plans. If you feel like heading for warmer weather, Kate & Terry will be happy to show you theirs here at Rock Hound State Park near Deming, NM. We seem to have an unplanned, impromptu mini-gathering here at the moment, with 4 LDs at present and another one coming in this afternoon.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Party! (was: Locations for work/computer desk/area in differen
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 89722
Quote from: Andy Baird"

What!?  Where's our invitation?  Hey, that sounds like a fun time!  Who do you have there?
 The LD  Baja group leaves today- I know they're going to have a good time too.  Ahhh...dreamin'

Well, feeling pretty sorry for the rest of us right now, (but hope you'll let us live vicariously)

Tessa in chilly TX

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 89731
I would like to know more about these hassocks... Any pics? Sounds very interesting!

Ellen Red Bluff Ca 23 1986 LD FL

That open into Recliners. We found them at the Great American Furniture warehouse. They are Not the Most comfortable, but we think they are one step above the barrel chairs.>>

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 89750
"I have never seen a 30/31 ft TB LD. I know there is a drawer in a night stand over the pass through storage between the two twin beds.
I was wondering if that was removed and the pass through just carpeted, couldn't the twin beds be converted to couches as in a 26.5 ft MB ? Or, one remove one and replace it with a double wide wall hugger recliner."
 The easy answer is, no.  Sorry about that!  The first big problem is your height (6'4.5").  My husband is 6'.  He JUST fits in the driver's side bed, which is the longer of the two.  The second problem, as some folks have already pointed out, is the fresh water tank under the passenger's side bed.  That is also where the water pump is located, under the foot of the bed.  Access is through a door under the drawers on that side.  The other side has more options, but that's where the largest outside storage area is.  It's also where the spare tire stays.

There is an option I don't think anyone has mentioned, though.  If you would like to do a permanent cross-wise bed in the back, the top of the nightstand and drawer could be removed, bringing it down to the height of the top of the twin bed frames, (16"). You could then lay a sheet of wood/plywood/MDF or ? over the bed frames and remaining part of the nightstand.  Add a mattress and you're good to go.  This method would preserve the outside storage pass-through under the nightstand, and provide a large storage area inside, in the aisle under the new bed.  It lessens the flexibility of the bedroom, but you might want to be able to stretch out to sleep.

The nightstand is 23 ¼"D x 26 ½"W.

Of course, this would mean your wife would have to hang out in the bedroom if she didn't want to be where you are working. Hope this gives you some options to think about.  As Kate said, if you have the chance to check out a 30'TB in person, that would be really useful.
Perhaps NM might be your closest one!  We are in TX, heading to TN next week, if the weather cooperates.

Sharon N.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 89755
"I have never seen a 30/31 ft TB LD.  I know there is a drawer in a night stand over the pass through storage between the two twin beds.  I was wondering if that was removed and the pass through just carpeted, couldn't the twin beds be converted to couches as in a 26.5 ft MB ?  Or, one remove one and replace it with a double wide wall hugger recliner."
 I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but just for more ideas I thought I'd offer what I did to a 1979 22' TB (like a TK only with beds instead of couches). It's a floorplan that LD doesn't offer any more. In fact, I've yet to find reference to another like this one.
When I bought it from Susan Fain (on this list), it had the two twin beds in the back with a couch that extended across the back (like a big U shape seating area) with a pedestal table that fit in the middle. It has pass-through storage all across the back, much like the 30' TB models, I would imagine (I've never seen a 30' TB either). There was also open storage under each bed, so I didn't have the water tank or anything else to contend with in modifying it.
 I work from home (designing websites) and wanted to have a desk in my LD so that I can easily take my work with me. My father is a wonderful handyman sort of person, and he removed the passenger side bed, leaving the seating across the back intact. He then built in a desk, with a table top that pulls out to create an instant table for eating. The desk is not as deep as the bed was that it replaced, giving me enough room in the aisle to use an office chair without banging into the other bed.

I've uploaded a photo if you'd like to see it:

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/lifewithalazydazerv/photos/view/bfd9?b=1>
 The back cushions on the couches lift off, making the width of the beds pretty much a typical twin bed width. I have thought that a platform could be built that would pull out from underneath the cushions on the driver's side to fill the width of the aisle, and I could remake the left-over cushions from the passenger-side bed that I removed, to fill in that space and make a large bed in the back. But so far the overhead cab bed has sufficed.

It's too bad the 30' TB does not have the option of an overcab bed.
Otherwise you could convert the rear bedroom to an office (where you could keep your "clutter" separate from the rest of the coach), keep your living room intact, and use the overcab for sleeping. But, you could still use the couch in the living room for your bed, if you find it big enough for your liking.
 Best wishes on your planning. "Where there's a will there's a way."  :)

Fern
Fern Horst
Formerly owned:
1979 TK - "Dorie" (2007-2012)
2003 MB - "Absaroka" (2012-2019)

Re: Fern's Desk (Locations for work/computer desk/)
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 89759
---  Fern  wrote:

Wow, Fern!  That is really gorgeous! Would love to see more, Tessa in TX

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 89761
Jerry,
 Since we are all trying to think outside the box here, I have an idea... way outside. LOL Maybe, since your wife doesn't want to be in the 'office' with you while you work, you could get a smaller model LD and a very small trailer. The trailer could be set up as your 'office'.  :-) You could then leave her the whole LD to do what ever she wanted. This would keep you from having a tow car, but if you used the 23ft LD,  you could leave the trailer in camp and easily find parking places in town to shop and eat out.

Good luck with your venture.

Denise and Garth 2002 23 ft RB Central Coast of CA

Re: Fern's '79 LD
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 89763
"Fern, what a classy job you and your father did in the back of your LD.  Have you updated the rest of the LD?  If so, we'd like to see photos."

Thanks, Chris.
 In addition to the desk, we redid the paneling in the overcab, painted the ceiling and kitchen wall, and my father tackled the ancient carpet in the cab (and did a wonderful job replacing it).

I uploaded a few more photos, but I need to take more now that the curtains are in place.
 The outside of the LD is the next big thing, but I'm not sure exactly what to do, other than paying as much as I paid for the rig to have it painted. :)

Fern
Fern Horst
Formerly owned:

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 89764
"Wow, Fern!  That is really gorgeous! Would love to see more."

Thanks, Tessa! I've uploaded a few more photos.

Fern
Fern Horst
Formerly owned:

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 89765
Wow! I am impressed with everything you've done, Fern. Now, if I could only ditch my husband, I could find room for a desk like yours... ;-)

Sonsie

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 89766
Wow, that is fantastic, Fern!

Here's a link to the photo album:
http://tinyurl.com/2mm82f>

Love the kitchen curtains.
 Also, how did you get the cab seat looking so great?  Recover or buy a cover for it?

Does your Dad ever come to TX?  Great work!
 Love to hear what you figure out for the exterior paint.  You can get it done cheaper in Mexico, like Tioga George did.  Or didn't someone else just tape it off and re-paint the stripe with a can of touch-up paint?  (Where are those pics?)  I am tempted to try that.

Is it just the stripes or also the vanilla/white color that need help?  Ciao Baby's stripes are the problem.

:)

Thanks for sharing, Tessa in TX

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 89768
Woweee! Fern, I am really impressed with your upgrades. You've done a magnificent job.
 Why, Oh why, did LD discontinue this model? I think it would sell like crazy now. It looks good, is super efficient for one, two or more people socially.

Love the whole thing. You win the prize.

Anne Johnson

Rainy, cold La Verne, CA

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 89784
Fern,I just have to add my bravos to your decorating and your whole desk area.  What a great job you and your dad did.  It looks so homey.

Judy Wms.