Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for ultra compact digital camera (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Looking for ultra compact digital camera
Yahoo Message Number: 89532
I am looking for recommendations for an ultra compact digital camera with 10 to 12 MP and a 10X or more optical zoom. My budget is up to $1000.
I want to carry it as a belt clip-on (similar to a cell phone).  I define an ultra compact camera as weighing 4 to 7 oz., .9" to 1.2" thick, 2" to 2.5" high and 3.2" to 3.75" wide.
 I have looked at all major camera manufactuers' websites and can't find the high optical zoom in a miniature camera.

Does anyone have or know of a camera with these specs?

Stan

Re: Looking for ultra compact digital camera
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 89534
I am looking for recommendations for an ultra compact digital camera with 10 to 12 MP and a 10X or more optical zoom. My budget is up to $1000.
I want to carry it as a belt clip-on (similar to a cell phone).  I define an ultra compact camera as weighing 4 to 7 oz., .9" to 1.2" thick, 2" to 2.5" high and 3.2" to 3.75" wide.
 I have looked at all major camera manufactuers' websites and can't find the high optical zoom in a miniature camera.

Does anyone have or know of a camera with these specs?

Stan
Stan,
 Even if you can find such a camera, I'd be surprised if the optics had any quality.  The physics of light passing through glass makes it very difficult to achieve that zoom range in such a short space without lots of abberations.  If you really want the optical zoom range (and forget about "digital zoom"), then you ought to look at something like the Canon S5IS.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 89541
"Does anyone have or know of a camera with these specs?"

Stan

As Art pointed out, there is not enough room for the optics in a ultra-compact camera. Our solution  is to own two cameras, one  small pocket camera and a second, larger camera with a long optical zoom.
Unfortunately, you cannot have it both way.

The Canon S5IS is our second camera and has performed well over the last six months and many thousands of shot. Our pocket camera is an old Canon A-85 that has been dragged all over the place but refused to quit.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 89544
Hi Stan,

You might check out the Panasonic TZ3 camera.  It's not quite as compact as you specified, but it is very tiny for a 10X optical zoom camera. Its range is from 28mm to 280-very useful. The only downside is that it doesn't have a viewfinder--only an lcd screen. It uses "folded optics" and has received quite good reviews.

Other Panasonic ultra zooms are quite lightweight, also, but not as small. Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ8 (12X optical zoom) or FZ18, which is a bit larger but has 18X optical zoom.  I have an FZ7 (12X zoom) and love the size. Don't get too caught up

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 89553
"I am looking for recommendations for an ultra compact digital camera with 10 to 12 MP and a 10X or more optical zoom. My budget is up to $1000. I want to carry it as a belt clip-on (similar to a cell phone).
I define an ultra compact camera as weighing 4 to 7 oz., .9" to 1.2" thick, 2" to 2.5" high and 3.2" to 3.75" wide."
 There are no ultracompact cameras with 10+ megapixels, and there are no ultracompact cameras with 10x zooms. To my knowledge, currently in the ultracompact category the greatest resolution you'll find is 8 megapixels (e.g., Canon's 3x-zoom SD1100 IS), and the longest zoom available is 5x (e.g., Sony's 7 megapixel DCS-W150).

As others have pointed out, optical considerations make it unlikely that you'll see a 10x zoom in an ultracompact camera anytime soon.
Resolutions do continue to increase, and probably by this time next year you'll be able to get 10 megapixels in a subcompact... but bear in mind that a 10-megapixel image from an ultracompact with an image sensor the size of your little fingernail is not comparable to a 10-megapixel image from a DSLR with a sensor five times as large.

While ultracompacts do very well for their size, their images have more noise ("graininess") and are less sharp, especially in the corners, than those of larger cameras. Manufacturers have made some progress in reducing the noise, but in many cases lowered noise comes at the expense of reduced sharpness.

I'm not putting down ultracompact cameras, mind you. A $200 point-and-shoot in your pocket will beat a $2,000 digital SLR on a shelf in the closet every time. In fact, about 80% of my photography is done with an older ultracompact Minolta X50 (5 megapixels, 3x zoom) that I wear exactly as you described--on my belt--with the remaining 20% falling to my "big gun," an 8 megapixel Panasonic FZ30 with a superb 35-420mm Leica zoom lens. The FZ30 is comparable to Canon's excellent S5 IS, which others here have mentioned... but the bulk and weight of these larger "ultrazoom" cameras, which are nearly as large as digital SLRs, put them out of the running for you.
 In short, what you want doesn't exist in the size you want, so you're going to have to prioritize. If size is of paramount importance, Canon's new SD1100 IS (8 megapixels, 38-117mm 3x zoom) is the best of the current crop of ultracompacts. If zoom range is an overriding concern, probably Panasonic's new DMC-TZ5 (9 megapixels, 28-280mm 120x zoom) comes closest to giving you a long zoom in a small package; it's
1.4" x 2.3" x 4.1" and weighs 7.5 ounces.

Two other factors to consider: image stabilization and viewfinder type. Image stabilization is rapidly becoming a standard feature, but not all cameras have it. An ultracompact that weighs only a few ounces is hard to hold steady, and of course a long zoom is also difficult to handhold. Optical image stabilization helps with both problems, and I recommend not buying a camera that lacks this feature.

Most ultracompact cameras have only one viewfinder: a 2.5"-3" LCD screen. This means the camera must be held more or less at arm's length, which aggravates camera-shake problems and can be hard for older or farsighted users. (LCD washout in bright sun is also a problem.) Canon's SD1100 IS is one of the very few ultracompacts that have an optical eyepiece viewfinder as well as a large LCD screen, putting it ahead of others in its class.
 When you get into the high zoom ranges (5x or more), the situation is different. Again, almost no cameras in the "ultrazoom" class have optical viewfinders, but many have small LCD eyepiece viewfinders in addition to the usual large LCD screen. While inferior to an optical viewfinder, an LCD eyepiece viewfinder does allow you to hold the camera against your face, which steadies it, excludes sunlight and usually makes focusing easier (many eyepiece viewfinders have diopter adjustments).

In short, when shopping for cameras, you should consider whether you're willing to do without an eyepiece viewfinder of some kind, because they are becoming less and less common.

I hope this is helpful! The best place to get an overview of what's available in today's digital camera market is the Digital Camera Resource Page's "Reviews & Info" chart:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php>

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Looking for ultra compact digital camera
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 89555
Stan:
 I agree with Art that you will probably not find those specs in an" ultra compact" There are always trade-offs to what you really want.
 You may want to look at 2 Canon cameras- The Canon G9 --not quite a pocket camera but small and loaded with features--Supposedly one of the best point and shoot cameras on the market. We recently gave our daughter a Canon 870IS, It is an ultra compact camera that has  wide angle capabilities and numerous other features.

Neil Cooper
NE 30

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 89560
Other Panasonic ultra zooms are quite lightweight, also, but not as small. Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ8 (12X optical zoom) or FZ18, which is a bit larger but has 18X optical zoom.  I have an FZ7 (12X zoom) and love the size. Don't get too caught up in the "megapixel race."  Six or eight is more than enough.

Good luck! Sandy
I agree with Sandy.  I also have a Panasonic Lumix FZ7 with the 12X optical zoom and I love it. I took it all over the place on our Canada/Alaska trip.  Got some great long distance pics and great videos also. Unless you are blowing up pictures to poster size a 6 meg is good enough.  I bought mine thru e-bay for less than $200!
 If you really want to spend more money, check into the Canon EOS Rebel or the Nikon Coolpix (my wife has this one and likes it)

Rick
2015 27' Mid Bath

Re: digital camera....now what about refer problem?
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 89622
I also have a Panasonic Lumix FZ7 with the 12X optical zoom and I
love it. I took it all over the place on our Canada/Alaska trip.  Got some great long distance pics  Rick

Hi Rick! I haven't seen you post in a long time. Last I saw your name was when you posted about your refer problems on your drive to Alaska. I recall that it stopped working on propane but that you were determined to continue the journey.
 What turned out to be the problem and did you get it fixed during the trip? How did your LD survive the roads up there?

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath