Skip to main content
Topic: Oil change for 6.8L V10 (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Oil change for 6.8L V10
Yahoo Message Number: 89494
Changed the oil today myself for the first time. The manual says it takes 6 qts with a filter. However, after putting in 6 it still appears to be about a 1/2 qt low.
 Anyone have any experience with this? I looked online and found some stuff indicating that the 6.8L super duty which this appears to be takes 6.5 but I assumed the manual ought to be correct.

Jim C

Re: Oil change for 6.8L V10
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 89495
Jim:
 The manual is wrong.  Eight years ago, having had to add 6 1/2 quarts to bring the dipstick to "full" many times, I then automatically started adding 6 1/2 quarts at every change since.

Don't forget the grease fittings.  Happy trails.

Gus Weber

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 89496
Jim,

Maybe the dipsticks are different lengths.  On my 2004 MB 6 quarts brings it right up to the full mark.

Monti

Monument, CO

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 89497
"Jim"  wrote:
 The manual says it takes 6 qts with a filter. However, after putting in 6 it still appears to be about a 1/2 qt low. Anyone have any experience with this? --- My 2003 registers "full" with 6 quarts and a new filter. This may sound like a dopey question, but is your rig level when you change and check the oil, i.e., the front end not up on ramps?  An unlevel rig could contribute to an inaccurate reading.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 89498
The engine takes 6 quarts with a filter change.
The error is in the dipstick.
If your dipstick has a "T" handle, it will read a 1/2 quart low after an oil change. The corrected dipstick has a ring style handle. There was a TSB issued years ago but I can't put my finger on it.
To correct the "T" handle dipstick change the oil & filter then run the engine for a few minutes then let it sit for 15 minutes. Note the place where the oil comes to on the dipstick. Use a small file to make a mark at the correct fill line. OR buy a new dipstick.

Ed

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 89499
Here is a summary of the TSB I looked for, but still haven't found in it's entirety.
This talks about the F-53 chassis but it's the very same engine.
 ENGINE - 6.8L - OIL LEVEL INDICATOR READS INACCURATE - SUPER DUTY F-53 MOTORHOME CHASSIS VEHICLES - UPDATED OIL LEVEL INDICATOR Vehicles covered by this TSB: 1999-2001 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.

ISSUE: On some 6.8L equipped Super Duty F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles, the oil level readings on the engine oil level indicator (dipstick) may read inaccurate (low) when the actual levels are within acceptable limits and adequate oil volume is in the sump. This may be noticed after an oil change, 5.7 L (6 quarts) of oil are added, and the engine has been started to fill the galleys and filter. The engine oil level indicator may then indicate 0.47 to 0.95 L (1/2 to 1 quart) low. This may be caused by the oil level indicator design.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 89500
Finally found it:

FORD: 1999-2001 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.

ISSUE:
 On some 6.8L equipped Super Duty F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles, the oil level readings on the engine oil level indicator (dipstick) may read inaccurate (low) when the actual levels are within acceptable limits and adequate oil volume is in the sump. This may be noticed after an oil change, 5.7 L (6 quarts) of oil are added, and the engine has been started to fill the galleys and filter. The engine oil level indicator may then indicate 0.47 to 0.95 L (1/2 to 1 quart) low. This may be caused by the oil level indicator design.
ACTION:
 Remove engine oil level indicator and replace with new design engine Oil Level Indicator (F81Z-6750-HC) which has correct markings to record oil levels at acceptable ranges. The new indicator has a "loop" handle. The prior indicator has a "Tee" stick-type handle (Figure 1).

PART NUMBER    PART NAME F81Z-6750-HC    Indicator - Oil Level

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

NONE WARRANTY STATUS:

Information Only OASIS CODES:
401000, 499000

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 89502
Finally found it:

FORD: 1999-2001 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.
IMPRESSIVE, Ed!  I think you get a *gold star* for today.
:) Tessa in TX

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 89503
Ed:
 I think this refers to the Class A chassis - the issue was well known at the time; they also had a problem with water coming into the air filter.  Both issues were settled at the time.  Back then I followed it carefully to make sure it didn't apply to me.  I may have made an error, but I still think the wrong dipstick issue was a Class A issue.

Gus Weber

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 89507
You're exactly right, Gus. It came to light with the F-53 Class A chassis. However, the 6.8L engine of the age range we're talking about, takes 6 qts. of oil.  Assuming 6 quarts are added, the correct filter used, the engine run to circulate the oil, etc. and the dip stick still reads low, the only possible cause is a faulty dipstick.
The Ford forum has stories of miscalibrated dipsticks on other Ford products as well.
I etched my "T" handle some time ago and now when I change the oil, I get a "Full" reading on the stick.

Ed

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 89511
I do not know if other folks do this or not when they change oil in the V10 but I put almost a quart of oil into the oil filter before I screw it onto the engine port.  The oil filter screws on vertically so spilling oil is not a problem.  I figure it might save a few seconds of dry start on the first start up as it does not have to fill the filter from empty.

Happy trails,

Terry Tanner

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 89512
Terry, it can't hurt in the long run but it is imperative with a diesel engine. Even the fuel filter on a diesel is critical.(diesel fuel that is) I have done this in the past. Most mechanics will tell you the parts have a residue of oil on them thus preventing wear but who really knows. I'm 60 and still love to get under there and get dirty. See ya, john leach, prescott, az.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 89513
Joan, good point about leveling. It is slightly off level, not by much, but I checked the oil level before draining to see where it was at.

Ed, appreciate you help. However, this is an 06 and it has the ring type handle on the dip stick. Will check the part number on it to be sure.

If that all checks out will wait until I am on level ground before adding any more oil.

Thanks to all.

Jim C