Skip to main content
Topic: Jensen 20" TV and converters? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Jensen 20" TV and converters?
Yahoo Message Number: 89336
I incorrectly assumed that this TV included a digital tuner. Partly due to the fact that on the cover of the owners manual it states it is a "Digital LCD TV".
 Searching through the material I found that it has only an NTSC tuner.
 I have been reading the older posts on converters. I assume that they convert the digital signals into analog signals. If that is correct I assume that means you will not benefit from the better picture.

Or are these converters actually digital tuners? If not, are there external digital tuners that you can attach using the tv as a monitor and get the better image.
 It is hard to imagine that LD had such a huge stock of these older and soon to be obsolete tv's that they were putting these into 06 models finished in March 07.

Jim C

Re: Jensen 20" TV and converters?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 89341
"I have been reading the older posts on converters. I assume that they convert the digital signals into analog signals."
 I assume you're talking here about digital ATSC converters--the ones that allow an analog TV to receive the new digital broadcast signals, and are eligible for the federal $40 coupon program. The low-cost (around $50) converters that I've read about so far have only analog outputs.
 "If that is correct I assume that means you will not benefit from the better picture."

That depends on what you mean by "the better picture." Bear in mind that not all digital TV broadcasts are high-definition--in fact, at this point most are not--so even with a digital TV, you won't always see higher resolution. However, you will see a picture with little to no noise, smearing, ghosts and other traditional problems of analog TV. Thus even a low-cost digital converter box attached to an older TV may well bring you a better-looking image than you were seeing with analog broadcasts. It just won't have as much detail as an HDTV broadcast.
 There are, of course, digital ATSC tuners with digital outputs, such as the ElGato EyeTV product line. Most are designed to work with computers, but I believe there are a few out there with HDMI (digital video) outputs that can be plugged directly into a digital-capable TV or a recent-model computer monitor. They're not eligible for the federal $40 coupon program, though--that program mainly applies to low-end converters. Here's a list of eligible converter boxes:

https://www.ntiadtv.gov/cecb_list.cfm>

Hope this helps!

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Jensen 20" TV and converters?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 89343
"If that is correct I assume that means you will not benefit from the better picture."

That depends on what you mean by "the better picture." Bear in mind that not all digital TV broadcasts are high-definition--in fact, at this point most are not--so even with a digital TV, you won't always see higher resolution. However, you will see a picture with little to no noise, smearing, ghosts and other traditional problems of analog TV. Thus even a low-cost digital converter box attached to an older TV may well bring you a better-looking image than you were seeing with analog broadcasts. It just won't have as much detail as an HDTV
broadcast.

Hope this helps!

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Thanks Andy. If there is any improvement in picture I will be happy.

Jim C